WDW Bus Collision Near the CR

WDWKOOK

NOW WITH LESS TAG!
Two Disney Buses Collide
Updated: Thursday, 16 Jul 2009, 5:13 PM EDT
Published: Thursday, 16 Jul 2009, 5:09 PM EDT

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Two Walt Disney World Resort buses were involved in an accident Thursday afternoon.

The accident happened in front of the Contemporary Resort on World Drive south of the Magic Kingdom.

Investigators say one Disney bus rear ended the other. As it was slowing down and merging. At least 12 people have been taken to 4 different hospitals.

(Minor) update:

Happening Now:
Buses collide at Walt Disney World, leaving 12 visitors hurt at sprawling Fla. theme park
By Associated Press
7:02 PM EDT, July 16, 2009

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Officials say two buses have collided at Walt Disney World, leaving a dozen visitors with minor injuries.

A Florida Highway Patrol report says one Disney bus rear-ended another Thursday afternoon. About 50 people were on both buses. The 12 injured passengers were taken to four nearby hospitals for treatment.

The accident comes 11 days after 21-year-old monorail pilot Austin Wuennenberg died when another train accidentally backed into his train at the sprawling Orlando resort.

The park's vast transit system shuttles thousands of visitors around the attraction each day.

YIKES! That's scary.

I guess given the amount of people they move and the frequency with which they do it, accidents are bound to happen from time to time. I'm glad no one was killed or seriously injured.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Officials say two buses have collided at Walt Disney World, leaving a dozen visitors with minor injuries.

A Florida Highway Patrol report says one Disney bus rear-ended another Thursday afternoon. About 50 people were on both buses.

The 12 injured passengers were taken to four nearby hospitals for treatment.

The accident comes 11 days after 21-year-old monorail pilot Austin Wuennenberg died when another train accidentally backed into his train at the sprawling Orlando resort.

The park's vast transit system shuttles thousands of visitors around the attraction each day.

YIKES! That's scary.

I guess given the amount of people they move and the frequency with which they do it, accidents are bound to happen from time to time. I'm glad no one was killed or seriously injured.

I agree, it was bound to happen sooner or later. But this is exactly why on several other threads I've posted that WDW needs to take a look at how they pack these buses with no room to move down the aisles. I don't know if the bus was packed or if everyone had a seat, but this time WDW dodged a bullet. Sooner or later one of these buses packed with kids on parents laps and people standing elbow to elbow is going to result in a tragic situation.

I hope everyone involved in the accident is ok.

It's also weird that the last three bus accidents have happened at or near the Contemporary. When I was there in December 2008 there was the accident at the Contemporary where the Disney bus hit that van which was parked in the buses only zone, that Cast Member who was killed a few months ago on World Drive when the bus hit her car and today's accident.

I agree, it was bound to happen sooner or later. But this is exactly why on several other threads I've posted that WDW needs to take a look at how they pack these buses with no room to move down the aisles. I don't know if the bus was packed or if everyone had a seat, but this time WDW dodged a bullet. Sooner or later one of these buses packed with kids on parents laps and people standing elbow to elbow is going to result in a tragic situation.

I don't think they dodged any bullet, accidents happen and crowded buses, weather at WDW or during rush hour in any large city, are a fact of life. The good news is that all the injuries are considere minor.

...that Cast Member who was killed a few months ago on World Drive when the bus hit her car...

Actually, the bus/car accident of April killed the driver of the car (I never heard that she was a CM) who swerved into the oncoming bus:

Disney Tour Bus Involved In Fatal Accident
World Drive Shut Down After Car Accident
POSTED: Sunday, April 5, 2009
UPDATED: 7:43 pm EDT April 5, 2009

World Drive was shut down Sunday afternoon after a fatal car accident involving a tour bus on Disney property.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the driver of a Hyundai swerved off the road and then drove into the path of a tour bus and clipped the front of the bus. The driver of the Hyundai was killed in the accident.

The accident happened between the Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary Resort near the monorail overpass, FHP said.

The name of the victim has not been released.

Nine people were on the bus; three were treated for minor injuries, FHP said.

World Drive was closed until 6 p.m

I don't think they dodged any bullet, accidents happen and crowded buses, weather at WDW or during rush hour in any large city, are a fact of life. The good news is that all the injuries are considere minor.

I think you missed my point. You are correct, and I did state so that accidents happen. This is not the first time a bus has been in an accident and it's not the last time a bus is going to be in an accident in WDW.

While a packed bus on a city street may be inevitable that should not be the case at WDW. There is no excuse for a WDW bus being packed with no room to move because of Disney cutbacks or management decisions to save a couple of dollars. An excellent example is one bus serving the BC,YC,BW, Dolphin, and Swan resorts. I understand the need to tighten the budget, but not at the safety of the guest.

So yes, I would say that WDW dodged a bullet in this accident. Think of how much safer it would be if WDW added a bus to the routes that are always packed. How much safer would a child be sitting in a seat instead of on moms lap. How much safer would those dozen people who are standing be if they were in a seat. I'm sorry, I love WDW; there is no other vacation destination I'd rather go to; but I can't sit and ignore things and say it's WDW and all is fine in the kingdom. They do a great job, but there are things that need to change.

And you are also correct; the good news is no one was seriously injured this time.

Hopefully, no one is seriously injured. I agree with a previous poster that guests should have seats on the buses. If they have to add additional buses, then so be it. Safety should come first.

Hopefully, no one is seriously injured. I agree with a previous poster that guests should have seats on the buses. If they have to add additional buses, then so be it. Safety should come first.

Quite frankly, having a seat isn't going to prevent injury. Remember that NONE of these buses has seat belts, and standing or sitting...your body will move in the event of an accident.

Does anyone know how many buses are in the Disney fleet? At $350,000 to $400,000 for a low-floor 40-ft bus even Disney probably has to space out purchases.

Glad everyone is ok! Well I guess as ok as they can be!

Wow that is a SW plane, monorail and bus that have now been involved in something scary. I will be flying SW on Friday 24th to Disney....well they say things come in 3s, hope that is true!

I think you missed my point. You are correct, and I did state so that accidents happen. This is not the first time a bus has been in an accident and it's not the last time a bus is going to be in an accident in WDW.

While a packed bus on a city street may be inevitable that should not be the case at WDW. There is no excuse for a WDW bus being packed with no room to move because of Disney cutbacks or management decisions to save a couple of dollars. An excellent example is one bus serving the BC,YC,BW, Dolphin, and Swan resorts. I understand the need to tighten the budget, but not at the safety of the guest.

So yes, I would say that WDW dodged a bullet in this accident. Think of how much safer it would be if WDW added a bus to the routes that are always packed. How much safer would a child be sitting in a seat instead of on moms lap. How much safer would those dozen people who are standing be if they were in a seat. I'm sorry, I love WDW; there is no other vacation destination I'd rather go to; but I can't sit and ignore things and say it's WDW and all is fine in the kingdom. They do a great job, but there are things that need to change.

And you are also correct; the good news is no one was seriously injured this time.

I didn't miss your point, I don't think you had a point and I don't agree with you, there is no way to avoid the crowds especially at park closing, people are not going to wait around for a hour to get on a bus and having a seat doesn't mean you will escape an injury. In this accident there were 50 passengers combined between the two busses and 12 injuries, chances are are the people who were injured were seated.

Does anyone know how many buses are in the Disney fleet? At $350,000 to $400,000 for a low-floor 40-ft bus even Disney probably has to space out purchases.

Somewhere between 218 and 300. They dont just buy new. The original RTS style busses( the ones that you have to walk up 3 steps on) the 2700 series are being phased out and new busses are put in their place. At the same time, there was several busses that were ordered, as new purchases (for Pop and expansion) as opposed to replacement.The 2700 series busses are almost 30 years old in some cases older,and all of them, with few exceptions ( the 2 multi wheelchair busses for example) have gone thru several engines and transmissions and all have over a million miles on them.The "newer" 2700 series, the widebodies, are in the same age category, except they were purchased second hand at auction in the mid 90s as a stop gap, and refurbed before being put in service.
The last RTS style busses 4800-4814 were all bought new in 90-93.4815 up are all from 2000ish on, built by Nova, and now apparently someone else.And no the numbers on the busses are not recycled for a new bus. The computer that manages and tracks maint etc, cant differentiate between a new 2701 and the old 2701 for example.
To be honest, I dont know the exact price that Disney pays for the busses, but I dont think its that high. Dont quote me on that though.

According to the story I read, AP release to our local paper, each bus had about 25 guests on it..hardly a crowded bus.

Buses everywhere accomodate people standing..that's the way it is. Disney is not going to go out and buy new buses just so that every single person has a seat. Personally I don't want to pay the increase in park passes or room rates so Disney can do that. If you are concerned about standing, don't get on the bus..wait for the next one.

In most cases they cant add a bus to the route. The reason being is that those busses are already maximum cycle. They actually can get in each others way, and create more of a safety issue in trying to drop off and pick up guests.Depending on how long the route is, plus ridership are just some of the factors that determines the number of busses on a given route. For example, the DTD Allstar busses numbered 8 at the peak times. On a 1 hour cycle.( 60 minutes/8 busses = a bus every 7 and a half minutes. And we still couldnt keep up with the guest demand. If youve ever stayed at the All Stars, during the summer, and watched 2 of the same busses come in, thats why.MK had 6 PER All Star.On a 45 minute cycle.Thats under normal driving conditions. Throw in rain, a wheelchair guest, or traffic and things get messy real quick.At some point you pass guest service and slip in guest inconvienience.

As far as things that should be changed, yes there are things that definitely needs to improve. For one, finding someone to make the Superbusses would be a great start. They can seat the same number, as the largest seat equipped RTS can at full capacity. 65.Total guests on the Superbusses was around 125.With out packing people in.Unfortunately, I dont think that buses are the ultimate answer anymore. With the ridership up, the number of rooms on property, exisitng, and the number being planned,and all of the other things that go in to the mix, Disney is at or close to the point of needing some type of rail system, whether they like it or not.Not neceesarily a monrail, but sometype of train.

Just received a message that a family member and wife and children were on one of the buses and treated and released from the hospital with just bumps and bruises. They are in a big group- at least 9 people, but I am not sure if they were all together at the time. They are enjoying the parks today and are fine.

Just received a message that a family member and wife and children were on one of the buses and treated and released from the hospital with just bumps and bruises. They are in a big group- at least 9 people, but I am not sure if they were all together at the time. They are enjoying the parks today and are fine.

Thats good to hear. Wishing the best for them, and everyone else involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter