Disney Club to end 2003

Kajunswty

Always waiting on the next magical vacation!
I just received my October issue of the Disney Club News. They are announcing that the Disney Club will be no more as of 12.31.03. It also says that renewals and new memberships will not be accepted after 12.12.02.

Hey, that's old news! ;) You better start reading the DIS more often. LOL :)

((just kidding)) :)

that you guy's already knew! I don't hang around too much yet, we have one cruise ahead of our Disney vacation so I am not in full Disney mode yet :D But after Thanksgiving I will be right on top of the news here at the DIS ;)

I have a quick question about this. If the new renewal and memberships are allowed up to 12-12-02, then how is the membership good until 12-31-03? My husband and I have been members forever and have been planning this huge trip for Dec. 2003. My parents were going to join the club and come with us. Our trip was going to be from Dec. 12-Dec. 23. So, if I open a new membership for myself and my parents open one for them on the 12th of Dec., won't it expire the exact date of our trip and be essentially useless to us?? How do I get my membership to last until 12-31-03 so I can take my vacation as it was planned instead of having to cut it short due to no discount?

I, too, am a Disney Club member. I don't want to be too critical, but.......am I the only one who thinks, hey, the savings isn't THAT tremendous with them. My husband and I just came home from a trip to DW in October, and I think we each got $50 off our package. To be honest, I think you can probably do better with codes, and AAA. At least the same.
Store shopping was limited to Downtown Disney, and a few of the dining places.
Anyways, maybe it's just me, but I think there will be PLENTY of deals out there, without a Disney Club card.

Ahhhhh...but usually the very best room deals out there are with an AP....and the only way to get a discount on an AP is with the DC. It's the number one reason I join the DC, for the discount on an AP.

It's not so much the savings, although if it wasn't for the savings I wouldn't have gotten it. It is just a part of the Disney magic for me. Even if I could get the same deals with something else, it's not the same.

I have a question. Does disney automatically reenroll you each year or do you have to rejoin? I don't plan on rejoining this year only because I don't see another trip to WDW any time soon.:(

You will get a renewal in the mail to renew. I went ahead and renewed since we will be going to WDW next year. The funny thing is that my card that the sent me (same design as this years) says it Expires in 2/2004!!!

My DC has saved me a bundle over even the two years I have had it. Most of my current savings are at the DS and the catalog sales. The magazine was always a nice perk. :)
If they stop selling pins in the store, I would probably be hesitant about renewing.
But I agree for $30 - $40 a year, Disney could give their guests better perks than they currently do.
They are really just wanting guests to get their VISA card, as I am sure it would be MUCH MORE profitable for them. :p
But why not both? :rolleyes:

I have a quick question about this. If the new renewal and memberships are allowed up to 12-12-02, then how is the membership good until 12-31-03?

The memberships are good until the last day of the month issued. If you renew before 12/12, it will be good until 12/31/2003.

Ah, thank you jdkdorn. My big vacation can be salvaged. Doing the math, it would have cost me over $3,000 more without the DC Discount. I certainly wouldn't have cancelled it, but it would have been cut down a bit.

Allyandjack- I would just make sure you BOOK the res. before your expire date, just to be sure.

It Would figure that after 2 years they would pull the plug, when they see that people are ACTUALLY saving money with it.

The card has paid for itself a few times over at the DS alone for my family, let alone the 5% on tix.

Oh Well, I guess I better make a run to the DS for extra tix. while I can still get them at a discount. This is the first I have heard of this, so thanks for posting the "old news".

Our DC doesn't expire until 2/28/03, but as said before we have to renew by 12/12. I already called once to renew as soon as I saw it would be eliminated next year, but was told I had to wait until 30 days before. So then that means I can't renew at all? If I did renew, do they pro-rate? (Since 11 out of 12 DCers probably DON"T expire in December anyway.) Just wondering. :rolleyes: Personally, I will probably try the old "If at first you don't succeed...." method, and try for a more cooperative CM to renew! The AP savings for us will outweigh the cost even if they don't pro-rate!

Hello:

I have been reading about a new disney visa card replacing the disney club. Is is out yet and is it available in Canada as well? Also, I wonder if it will give discounts at the disney store?

Deb.

I remember when they kept cuttings the benefits on the club membership and everyone was complaining that they may as well drop the club!! Well, they must of been listening because they did!! I just hope that they start offering some better package deals or something to make up for it! The club discount is the only reason I could afford 2 rooms at the AKL in Dec., one for my son's family. We have stayed deluxe the 3 times we have been to disney, but without the club discount it looks like moderates or value for us if there is a next time! Frankly, I'm going to miss that little magazine!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter