Disney credit card?? Is it worth it or not?

The Disney Visa is a good secondary card to have, but only for use sparingly. You can do MUCH better with other rewards cards, such as the Citibank Double Cash (2% on everything), that don't charge an annual fee and/or limit you to redeeming rewards with Disney.

The offers for 10% off on purchases on cruises and in the parks make it a good deal for those limited uses...not to mention the signup rewards.

I'm assuming you are talking about Disney Premier Rewards which offers 2% Disney Rewards on Disney purchases, food & beverage, groceries, and gas. Depending on where you sign up for the card, they offer different statement credits. If you sign up in the parks, they advertise $100. I've seen some online (maybe Disney Shopping?) for $200. I got a $250 statement credit by signing up via the link on the Disney Cruise Line website. It's a $49 annual fee, and it is not waived the first year. That being said, I earned $60 in Rewards in my first month of use, so for 2018 the card "paid for itself".

My father has been a cardholder since 2012. I have been a cardholder since 2018. I have never had any issues with not getting the redemption cards... you just need to remember to order the redemption card about 3 weeks in advance of your Disney vacation. If you don't, you can still get your redemption card on property. I have gotten a redemption card in-person from Guest Services on the Esplanade at Disneyland.

As for if it's worth it, it really depends on how you use it, and how much you spend on Disney travel and merchandise. My Disney Premier Rewards is not my only rewards card. I also have the Chase Sapphire Preferred which I consider my "travel" card, and a Bank of America cashback card, and I feel like these work pretty well together. My general rule-of-thumb to maximize rewards is that for gas and groceries, I use Disney Premier (2%), dining and travel on Chase Sapphire (2%). And then for bills and merchandise, I use whichever card I'm hoping to get more Rewards for at that time (right now I'm using Disney because I have a cruise coming up). If it's Disney travel (hotels, cruise, tickets), I book using Disney Premier - but note that Disney Premier does not give you 2% on travel that is not Disney-specific. So in addition to Disney Premier, I would suggest having another travel card that you can use for flights, car rentals, Ubers, non-Disney hotels, etc.

I gave mine up because it only offers 1% rewards. It took me a while to realize how much I really had to spend to earn any significant amount to spend at Disney. A typical week at WDW for my family of 5 when the kids were little would cost $5000.00. If I put the entire amount on the card, I earned $50 in rewards. Now, if I wanted to save up my rewards to PAY for the trip...unattainable. $5000 is 1% of $500,000.

Bank of America, but I don't know why we were offered it. I do know it's nicer than my Amazon which is 5% from them and then less elsewhere or my Target which is just 5% there.

I am guessing it's no longer available as none of its current offering has 5% on everything.

LAX

I use and like my Disney rewards card. Is it the best rewards out there? No. But I like the feel good factor, I like my tinkerbell card and I like having the disney money toward my trips when they come around. Spending money on Disney is never a pure monetary decision anyway, there is a huge feel good factor all around.

We have it but it usually just sits there unless we go to Disney. We only use it for the store discount and I guess we will be bringing it on the cruise for the discount there. It's just not worth it when you can accumulate points on southwest or other airlines/cash back cards with better returns.

I think “worth it” depends. For me, I like having rewards dollars that are Disney specific plus there are a few discounts when going to WDW or DCL that you do not get with other cards as well as the six month 0% financing others have mentioned.

My Disney rewards are for Disney treats only (travel, shopping, etc.). I love having “free” Disney money to use on souvenirs or help pay for my trip or just buy something fun from the Disney store. Plus, the designs are cute and make me happy.

But if you want the best cash back card or prefer the reward money not be tied to Disney, it is not the best card.

I like the way you think! :-)

Hi All,
First time cruiser. I’ve been deciding if it is worth getting Disney credit card that offer $100 stateroom credit. I’ve been reading a lot of reviews but they’re old from 2015. There are split with good/bad reviews from people not actually getting their rewards.

Does anyone have experienced using the Disney card?

Thanks for the feedback!

Get the no annual fee card that gets you $200 statement credit after spending $500 within first three months of account opening....get a referral code :)

At one time, Disney offered $50 OBC for putting cruise on your card. If you choose this route, you get six months no interest to pay the charge. Also, go through Costco for cash back or a travel agency with OBC too....or cash back

We only get a the Disney card before a trip and then cancel it upon return .we did this for DL in 2014 and WDW in 2017 (wasn't aware of the bonuses like meet &greet for our 2011 trip). I'm going to get the card again in a few months for our October WDW and DCL trip. you can't get a bonus if you received one in the previous 24 months so in a month or so I can get another $200 statement credit. they just sent me something in the mail for a $200 statement credit with no annual fee.

For us the the Disney card is a waste except for the actual trip with he shopping discounts and special character experiences. (One of my son's best was at Epcot with both Minnie and Pluto and no one in line so he got about 20 minutes with them.) We save the cash for all trips before going so the interest free aspect is pointless for us.

We also book all travel through our Chase Sapphire card as it includes trip cancellation insurance, primary rental car insurance and other travel specific benefits included along with 2% on all travel. We then have a Roating 5% we use and then a 1.5% on all purchase card for the everything else.

In my opinion cash back is better then any specific company or airline as you can spend it anywhere and use it on which ever airline has the best price for that time/trip. If you still want Disney you can use the cash back to purchase Disney gift cards, but you wouldn't always be stuck with Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!