Disney Deluxe Dining Plan: Advice?

HCL

Earning My Ears
Hey, so I am taking a three day, four night trip in October. I purchased the Deluxe Dining Plan for the trip, and want to figure out the best way to use it. Could you help me fill in the blanks?

The day I arrive I wont go in the parks. I'll go to Disney Springs for lunch and dinner. Most likely TRex and Rainforest Cafe.

My day one is Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
Breakfast: ???
Lunch: Flame Tree
Dinner: Sci Fi Dine In

Day two is Epcot
Lunch: San Angel Inn
Dinner: Coral Reef

Day Three is Magic Kingdom
Breakfast: Be our Guest
Lunch: Jungle Navigation Co.
Dinner: Liberty Tree Tavern

The way to get the best bang for your buck on the Deluxe Dining Plan, in my opinion, is to do a Signature restaurant for dinner each night, and a table service lunch each afternoon, both using your credits, and then paying out of pocket or using a snack credit for breakfast.
Since you'll have four nights, you'll actually have an additional day's worth of meals, so you'll get 12 meal credits and 8 snacks.
With your current choices of restaurants, you're basically throwing money away by being on the Deluxe Dining Plan. I think the regular Disney Dining Plan would be a better choice for the restaurants you're looking at, all of which require just 1 credit. That said, if you do think the Deluxe Dining Plan is for you, here are some suggestions to help maximize your value and get some better food:
For your Disney Springs day, have you looked into Morimoto Asia or Jaleo for dinner? Wolfgang Puck would be a really good choice for lunch as well; the food is very good and it's a 1-credit restaurant.
You might consider switching your Hollywood Studios dinner to Brown Derby; the food is far superior to Sci-Fi. For breakfast that day, there's really nowhere good within the park; you might just consider using a snack credit for a churro or something, and then doing a table service lunch and dinner. Maybe also see if you can get lunch at Yak & Yeti, since you'll be at Animal Kingdom earlier in the day. Using a Deluxe meal credit for a quick service lunch is a waste of money, if you do the math.
For breakfast on your Epcot day, consider just using a snack credit at Les Halles Boulangerie/Patisserie, and for dinner, see if you can get Monsieur Paul.
For dinner on your Magic Kingdom day, I would consider eating outside the park, namely at California Grill, Cítricos, or The Wave.

Just re-iterating what has been said before. DxDP really pulls it's weight when you drop a sig and 1 table service each day. Then burn snack credits for the off-meal so no fear of ending the trip with suitcase full of marshmallow treats. Otherwise, you really end up eating way too much and too often.

At counter/quick service places with an a la carte menu such as Flame Tree you only get an entree (or combo plate) and a beverage. A quick service entitlement doesn't include appetizer or dessert so it's a poor use of a deluxe credit.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you do get a dessert included with the Deluxe plan. That said, a quick service meal is not worth dropping a Deluxe credit for, ever.

I did a solo trip last summer with 4 nights three days with the Deluxe Dining Plan. Here’s what I did.

Arrival day:
  • Snack at ASMu food court, I didn’t get in until 11:30 pm
7/4
  • Garden Grill breakfast = 1 credit
  • Pecos Bills = 1 credit
  • Skipper Canteen dinner = 1 credit
  • 2 snacks
7/5
  • Tiffins lunch = 2 credits
  • Jaleo dinner = 2 credits

7/6
  • Cinderella’s breakfast = 2 credits
  • Daily Poutine meal = 1 credit
  • Minnie’s dine dinner Fantasmic Package = 1 credit
  • Left over 1 TS credit turned into 3 snacks and 3 additional left over snack credits at Goofy’s to bring back crispy treats at the request of family and friends back home
7/7
  • Departure day early am, so no food
I had originally bought the regular dining plan, but when I decided to do three two credit meals, I bumped it up. Using Disney math I only lost about $20 with what I would have paid out of pocket vs. the dining plan. Hope this helps!

OP, you did not say what resort you are staying at. When on the DlxDP, I like to have a character breakfast to start the day. I like the format of both Tratorria al Forno and Toppolino's, and would recommend one of those if you are staying anywhere on the skyliner routes.

I also always make sure I include California Grill.

I had DlxDP for 2 nights last July and had the following:
7/2: Planet Hollywood for dinner
7/3: Cape May for Breakfast and Turf Club for dinner
7/4: Bon Voyage breakfast and California Grill for dinner

I have the same trip planned for this year and will revisit some of these!

I'll be staying at the All Star Music, I've stayed at most of the resorts at this point outside of the Contemporary and Polynesian, I've found I spend so little time at the resort that it's not worth my money to go bigger. I'm not necessarily looking for the best bang for my buck, just some good food and fun restaurants. I got the Deluxe Plan for the convenience of paying with credits, being able to eat anywhere, and knowing I want to eat three times a day. I normally eat two meals a day at home, but tend to way over eat on these trips. The reason I chose a lot of the restaurants is they won't be a hassle to get into, and I want to avoid any sort of events since it's a solo trip and don't care for character events or anything. I should have been more detailed in my original post.

I'll be staying at the All Star Music, I've stayed at most of the resorts at this point outside of the Contemporary and Polynesian, I've found I spend so little time at the resort that it's not worth my money to go bigger. I'm not necessarily looking for the best bang for my buck, just some good food and fun restaurants. I got the Deluxe Plan for the convenience of paying with credits, being able to eat anywhere, and knowing I want to eat three times a day. I normally eat two meals a day at home, but tend to way over eat on these trips. The reason I chose a lot of the restaurants is they won't be a hassle to get into, and I want to avoid any sort of events since it's a solo trip and don't care for character events or anything. I should have been more detailed in my original post.
That's great, but as I said in my original reply, perhaps the Deluxe plan is not for you, if those are the restaurants at which you plan to eat. It'd be a huge waste of money; you might be better off paying out of pocket.

What is your definition of "throwing away money"? Is it not using the system to get the maximum benefit out of every credit, or is it literally losing money that I paid? Because after reading this stuff, I went through and quickly chose the restaurants and meals I would eat, and I was about $100 up from what I paid for the meal plan, which seems pretty good.

What is your definition of "throwing away money"? Is it not using the system to get the maximum benefit out of every credit, or is it literally losing money that I paid? Because after reading this stuff, I went through and quickly chose the restaurants and meals I would eat, and I was about $100 up from what I paid for the meal plan, which seems pretty good.
The other factor to consider is that its A LOT of food. I would assert that most people do not eat an app, entrée, dessert, and alcoholic drink per person at every TS meal in the "real" world. People do it on DxDP because its included, but you are paying for it to be included. If you do not eat each of those items at all your meals, then you are essentially paying for things you aren't even consuming. Disney prices all dining plans in a way where they will come out ahead most times - they include these items, knowing there will be people who don't eat all that, so they come out ahead. The plans *can* be a discount depending on how and what you eat, but for many people, its simply not cheaper when they are not actually ordering and eating all those meal elements in practice. Had they paid OOP and ordered what they actually ate, it would have cost less. There are also people who still opt for the dining plans anyway because they like the idea of pre-paying for food for convenience and ease of budgeting, which I do understand.

Also, don't forget you will also be paying 18 or 20% gratuity at all meals on top of the plan cost, and with all those meal elements, that can be a large gratuity on the total bill cost. Again, another reason people should really want to eat the way the dining plan allows for, so that items aren't ordered in vain leading to a higher total bill and more gratuity you have to shell out.

Dining plan economics aside, three TS meals each day is also time consuming. Each one can take 60-90 minutes, and you're not always seated on time. It can be challenging to plan FPs or other events around and takes time out of touring the park. Just another factor to consider.

We have done DxDP in the past, and would agree with PPs that the best way to use it is to do a TS breakfast or lunch, and a signature 2TS credit dinner. If you decide to go with 3 TS meals each day anyway, I would highly suggest spacing your meals quite well - again, its a lot of food, and I know the mistake we made is not allowing ourselves enough time to get hungry again before our next meal rolled around. The amount of food on the plan is more than we eat normally at home, so our normal at home meal times ended up not working for us while there. I would suggest an 8am breakfast, 1pm lunch, 8pm dinner - at least. We also found that because we were indulging and trying to enjoy all the meal plan elements, it made us full, uncomfortable, and logy at times. We cancelled at least three reservations because we were not hungry, and sometimes in the heat of the day, eating was the last thing we wanted to do.

Hey, so I am taking a three day, four night trip in October. I purchased the Deluxe Dining Plan for the trip, and want to figure out the best way to use it. Could you help me fill in the blanks?

The day I arrive I wont go in the parks. I'll go to Disney Springs for lunch and dinner. Most likely TRex and Rainforest Cafe.

My day one is Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
Lunch: Flame Tree
Dinner: Sci Fi Dine In

Day two is Epcot
Dinner: Coral Reef

Day Three is Magic Kingdom
Breakfast: Be our Guest

The Deluxe Dining Plan sure is a lot of food...but my family has no problem eating it all. Are the restaurants you chose ones you've tried and liked? been wanting to try? just filling in meal slots? I agree with much of what was said above. I'd probably swap Flying Fish for Coral Reef. If you really want to eat at Rainforest Cafe, you could stop outside Animal Kingdom for lunch on your way to Hollywood Studios on Day One. I'm not a fan of Sci Fi, so I would swap for Brown Derby. I do think Sci Fi is a nice place for a solo diner though. Morimoto Asia is my top pick is Disney Springs, one credit for lunch or two credits for dinner. Day Three in Magic Kingdom sounds perfect to me. Be Our Guest Breakfast is the rare Quick Service that is a decent use of a Deluxe credit. I know you said you weren't interested in characters, but I like Tusker House for the food. You can just say "Hi" to the characters as they come by and keep eating. If you had one last credit and wanted three meals in Epcot, you could do the same in Akershus or Garden Grill for breakfast. And a PPO at either is great. Have a great trip! These boards have me looking forward to my own solo trip (one day!)

Arrival Day: Morimoto Asia and T Rex

Day One:
Breakfast: Tusker House
Lunch: Rainforest Cafe
Dinner: Hollywood Brown Derby (Fantasmic package?)

Day Two:
Breakfast: Akershus/Garden Grill (if credits allow)
Dinner: Flying Fish

Day Three:
Breakfast: Be Our Guest

That doesn’t seem like your math is correct, unless you’re thinking that tips are included in the dining plan, which they are not.

TRex $64.97 (dual dip, salmon, sorbet and $11 drink)

Rainforest Cafe. $64.77 (crab dip, salmon and shrimp, sorbet and $12 moscow mule that they better make right)

Lunch: Flame Tree $29.99(sampler and vodka lemonade)
Dinner: Sci Fi Dine In $59 (pickles, shrimp pasta, doughnut and $14ish drink)

Lunch: San Angel Inn $69.50 (guac, camarones, dessert, cocktail ($15ish))
Dinner: Coral Reef $77.50 (shrimp cocktail, seafood boil, mousse and cocktail ($13ish) )

Breakfast: Be our Guest $40 (adult entree plus mimosa)
Lunch: Jungle Navigation Co. $60 (salad, fish, dessert and cocktail)
Dinner: Liberty Tree Tavern $39 for the platter
That doesn’t seem like your math is correct, unless you’re thinking that tips are included in the dining plan, which they are not.

I was curious about the math. So I looked at the menus and just picked what I would order, based off the original restaurants (not my suggestions for improvement). I didn't pick the most expensive things, just what I would actually order. These were my numbers. Usually even more in favor for the dining plan when I consider my steak loving husband or character meal loving DS.

$504.73 (tipping 20%) tax is 7%? total $540 for these meals, using 9 out of 12 credits.
$119 for the dining plan each night is $476.
So the "value" is already $64 above the cost of the plan...and there are 3 more credits to use (at Tusker House, please at Tusker House!) AND snack credits (fancy Starbucks coffee, caramel apples/popcorn to take home from Germany in Epcot). I just see this working out very well for you OP.

I was curious about the math. So I looked at the menus and just picked what I would order, based off the original restaurants (not my suggestions for improvement). I didn't pick the most expensive things, just what I would actually order. These were my numbers. Usually even more in favor for the dining plan when I consider my steak loving husband or character meal loving DS.

$504.73 (tipping 20%) tax is 7%? total $540 for these meals, using 9 out of 12 credits.
$119 for the dining plan each night is $476.
So the "value" is already $64 above the cost of the plan...and there are 3 more credits to use (at Tusker House, please at Tusker House!) AND snack credits (fancy Starbucks coffee, caramel apples/popcorn to take home from Germany in Epcot). I just see this working out very well for you OP.
Don't forget to factor in gratuity with the dining plan cost. That is above and beyond the $119 per night. You may still come out ahead with your numbers, but to include gratuity in both scenarios would be the more fair comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter