Disney Fantasy January 21, 2017 — 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise

I understand not posting the link based on your info above ^ but why can't the description be posted to help people find it?
All I know is what the policy says:

Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted or offered by any other means (PM, email, "search" directions) and we expect that those who have already posted such links/offers will remove them.

I received an email from Disney today saying our cruise now has Star Wars added in.

Tell me about the Fish extenders.
Quick course in Fish Extenders:

HOW DID THIS FISH EXTENDER IDEA GET STARTED?
The idea was the brainstorm of a woman named Debbie For the first Magical sailing through the Panama Canal back in 2005. Debbie thought it would be a fun way for others to exchange gifts.

WHAT IS A FISH EXTENDER? (FE)
Outside your room onboard is a message holder, in most cases it's shaped like a fish:fish holder wonder 2012 1408 100_7536.JPG

The fish is there for Disney to place important communications to you such as excursion tickets and notes from the Cruise staff. It is like a mailbox for your room. A Fish Extender (FE) it is something that you hang off the fish. By hanging the Fish Extender off of the fish, the Cast Members can still use it for its original purpose.THIS IS NOT A ONE ON ONE EXCHANGE, YOU ARE PART OF A GROUP. All the people in the exchange buy or make little items and place them in each other's fish extenders. It is great fun to come back and check the items you have received.

Once a cruise meet thread is up and running, someone in the group will (should?) step up and say "I'll maintain the Fish Extender exchange list". That person is the center point for all those who want to participate in the exchange. The list can be as simple as DISnames/room number/number of guests or as involved as full names/room number/ages of guests/like & dislikes/allergies/favorite characters/whatever is deemed necessary to know assemble the gifts.

Then each room on the FE list (note this will not be everyone on the Cruise Meet thread for your specific cruise), makes a Fish Extender holder. This is basically an organizer-type hanging bag with separate pockets for each person in the room:door magnets 4 wonder oct 2011 256 100_3589 1500.jpg

The most common Fish Extenders are ones that have a pocket for each person in that stateroom. Some are very fancy, some are very plain. Some are store bought, some are homemade. Search "Disney fish extender" and you will get options that range in price. You should make sure your Fish Extender is between 8" & 12"" wide. Otherwise it starts to get in the way of your stateroom door. It should not exceed 5 feet; otherwise it will hit the floor. If you are creating your own it is suggested you make the pockets a little deeper than normal too. It will keep items from falling out and keep curious hands from reaching in (average depth is 5-6 inches)but 8-11 is a better way to go if you are making it yourself

They also make up gifts (either individual gifts or room gifts - whatever is decided by your group) to be delivered during the cruise).

One note about the gifts, some groups set up specific delivery dates, and specify "each person gets a gift" or "only one gift per room" or (even) maximum/minimum price ranges for gifts. Other groups just say "whatever", so people can choose what/how many gifts to give. Some give individual gifts, others only one gift per room, while others might do one for the adults and separate gifts for kids. Or only gift the kids.

WHO CAN JOIN?
Anyone and everyone! Even if your stateroom is 2 adults, you can join and have just as much fun! The only rule I would say is to HAVE FUN!! It's not about the gift it's about the thoughtfulness behind it.

HOW MANY CABINS WILL BE IN MY FE GROUP and WHO PARTICIPATES???
DO I HAVE TO BUY FOR EVERYONE? DO I NEED TO GIVE PER CABIN?
Sort of…You have to do something for EVERY CABIN PARTICIPATING, You choose whether its adult gifts or kids gifts or cabin gifts or a combination.YOU CAN NOT LEAVE A CABIN OUT IF THEY HAVE SIGNED UP. At the very least, 1 cabin gift, per cabin. Some do a cabin gift, and then do a few items for the kids. Some do individual for each member of the cabin. Some people are crafty and make gifts, and some are store bought. Some gifts are to be used on board and some are to be used at home.

How many rooms you give to depends on your cruise meet group. They range in average from 10-15 sometimes even 25 and up. Most do the smaller groups with the option to join more than one. It makes it more manageable.

This is typically a whole cabin event. You usually may not just sign up the kids. There are some cruise meet groups that have Adult Only groups. But not Kids only. Some groups say “every room gets/gives gifts” (even if two rooms are really just one family). Others say that rooms that are a nuclear family can give together. While other groups say: If you are signing up more than one cabin to participate, you should not combine them. It’s not fair for people to make items for 2 cabins and receive from 1 of them. They should be counted as 2 separate cabins. It’s up to each Fish Extender group/organizer to decide on the “rules”.

WHEN LEAVING A GIFT, DO WE IDENTIFY WHO IT IS FROM?
Some people do put some kind of to/from tag on their items. Most want to know who it came from. Some do it because they don't want people to think they got shorted a gift or assumed theft of an item. Others go with the original intent and deliver anonymous gifts.

DO WE PUT GIFTS IN EVERY DAY OF THE CRUISE? WILL I HAVE TO WALK ALL OVER THE SHIP TO DELIVER?
That's up to you. Most deliver ONCE. Most do one gift, some do multiple gifts.You don’t want to spend your whole cruise delivering gifts. It can be time consuming. Most deliver over the whole length of the cruise. One morning you do all the cabins on decks 4-6 that are Forward. Another time you do all the mid cabins on decks 1-4. And so on. It’s suggested you break up your list by location: Forward, Mid and Aft before leaving home. Large zip locks are good for this. Start from your highest deck and work your way to your lowest.

*If you are on a longer cruise, consider delivering later in the week. Most deliver in the beginning and then there is nothing towards the end (and the kids like to find stuff in the holder).You don’t have to deliver all on the first day, especially on the longer cruises. On the reverse – don’t deliver the last night, as people will be packing up and putting their bags out for pick up.

Don’t deliver in the middle of the night, when no one is around, or when people are off the ship when sticky fingers are more likely.

I’M IN A CONCIERGE SUITE, HAVE A GTY RESERVATION OR SOMEONE IN MY FE GROUP IS. WOULD THERE BE A PROBLEM BEING PART OF THE FE?
No, there are fish message holders outside all rooms on board. Once a GTY reservation has a room assigned, it can be reported to the group.

MY GIFTS ARE TO BIG TO FIT IN THE POCKET, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT?
1. You can lean it against the door
2. You can hang on door knob
3. You can leave it at guest services, marked for each stateroom and then notify each stateroom to go pick up.
4. You could try to ask the stateroom host out in the hallway to place it inside the cabin.
5. You can just hang it on the "fish.

DO PEOPLE CARRY ALL THEIR GIFTS IN THEIR SUITCASES?
Most do, however, you can ship your items down. They must arrive by the day before you sail and contain no food items (they will get snagged by the dogs and get held up). Make sure your package is addressed exactly how your name is in your reservation and it will be in your stateroom when you get there (even before your luggage!). You can also send to your hotel if you are staying at one before you sail. KEEP IN MIND... you can not ship home from the ships.

I HAVE TO DROP OUT.. HOW DO I DO THAT.
It’s very important that if you have to drop out for any reason you notify the person running your FE. (They can be found on the cruise page you signed up on)

It’s important so that others who are participating don’t count you in, when you won’t be there. Everyone’s time is valuable. It’s courteous to let someone know.People put a lot of time and effort into FE gifts, and are expecting something in return. It’s not fair to the group if you bow out without letting anyone know

ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?

• It has been pointed out that some Travel Agents are giving wrong info. They are saying you can hang a FE holder outside your door and expect gifts.
  • Cast members are not walking around like Tinkerbelle handing out gifts.
  • You cannot just show up on a cruise with gifts to randomly pass out (well you could but that would be “pixie dusting” not participating in a FE).
  • You have to find your Cruise Meet group and join a FE group to know how many people are participating, how large your group will be and all other info.
  • This is a voluntary program and is not sanctioned by Disney.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I coordinate the BWV Holiday Tree Exchange but that's a much smaller group.
Thanks for the info PrincessSchmoo.

How do we join the fish extenders?
I'm not sure if there's a Fish Extender group organized here on DISboards. There may be FE groups on other sites but they are not DISboards connected, and links or search directions to those sites are not allowed. Here's the policy on that:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/im...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/

Unless someone here on DISboards has stepped up and said that they will maintain the FE list here, there is no FE group here.

We are excited to be headed on our second cruise - the first 2 1/2 years ago was too short :)
My dd (10) desperately wants to participate in a FE group so if someone here has a FE group started or knows of a list, please let us know!! We homeschool, so I think she's hoping to connect with other HSers..

Hi everyone!
This will be our first Disney cruise and first cruise ever! My birthday will be the day we dock in Cozumel. My DH, DD12, DS11 and I can not wait!
This is my first time on the DIS boards also, so I'm new to a lot here. The FE group sounds fun. We'd love to get the whole "cruise experience" and participate too.

Hi!
This will be our first Disney Cruise and we are so excited!!!! This will be or DD's 2nd cruise and she is seven, my husbands 4th, and my 13th cruise .
Has a FE group been started yet? Is there anything that is very different from other lines that I need to know about?

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Tammy

We just switched our Christmas cruise to this one. This will be our 9th Disney Cruise. Cruising will be DH, myself, and DS (18). Cannot wait to be back aboard the beautiful Fantasy. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone stepped up to coordinate the FE group? If not, I will bite the bullet and do so... Please pm/email me the Names of children and their ages in your party. We need to decide if we should include adults too. Please weigh in with comments on this thread. I can't find the FB page!!

dgaston@worcester.edu Put Fantasy Fishextender in the header

Hi all! Anyone joining us on the January 21, 2017 Western Caribbean Cruise?
This will be our First Disney Cruise for my DB and myself, we are truly looking forward to it and our very excited. We have been gathering our door decorations and made a fish extender. My DB has been on many cruises but this is the first for me. We love Disney World and can't wait to see Mickey and Minnie at sea. Olaf will be joining us and looking forward to some relaxing time on the beaches. I am 52 and my DB is 46, I am told that the DCl's are also nice for couples and not just for kids. Any other couples traveling alone with out little ones? We would love any advice from seasoned cruisers.

Hello folks! The Tuckers are on board for our 10th cruise! Finally made it to Platinum status. Woohoo!

We would love to join a Fish extender group we are just 2 adults traveling is there any groups out there started yet that we could possibly be part of?

Has anyone stepped up to coordinate the FE group? If not, I will bite the bullet and do so... Please pm/email me the Names of children and their ages in your party. We need to decide if we should include adults too. Please weigh in with comments on this thread. I can't find the FB page!!

dgaston@worcester.edu Put Fantasy Fishextender in the header
I sent a pm to you last week about joining the FE group. I was wondering if you received it. My DBF and I are hoping to participate in this fun aspect of the cruise this is our first Disney cruise.

So far I have only heard from Disney Snowbirds about joining the FE group. If you are interested, send me a pm or email at dgaston@worcester.edu with your REAL booking name, cabin number, ages of children and whether you are interested in individual or group FE gifts. Remember it's the thought that counts.:fish:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter