Disney Files Magazine - Flexible Use Years - Page 17

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
In reading this article, I am trying to understand if this has any meaning or effect for existing members.

I thought if you were on a wait list and it came through DVC automatically matched the UY to what you already have.

Will this change the balance of points in each use year when DVD "resales" them?

I thought that when contracts were taken back in ROFR and later resold, the buyer’s UY was automatically matched if contracts exist.

I assumed if it was bought back as one UY, DVD could already resale it as any UY they desired.

Last edited:

I thought that when contracts were taken back in ROFR and later resold, the buyer’s UY was automatically matched if contracts exist.

I assumed if it was bought back as one UY, DVD could already resale it as any UY they desired.
Traditionally, no. Once a point is declared UY is forever.

Traditionally, no. Once a point is declared UY is forever.
Are the UY’s “declared” in filings for unit declarations as they come out? I just looked at my 3 deeds on OCC and only my direct purchase lists the UY on the recorded deed. And as the points are only “symbolic” of the underlying deeded interest e.g..5473% interest in unit 3B I wonder if this flexibility would be a new interpretation or an option they have had and not exercised?

Are the UY’s “declared” in filings for unit declarations as they come out? I just looked at my 3 deeds on OCC and only my direct purchase lists the UY on the recorded deed. And as the points are only “symbolic” of the underlying deeded interest e.g..5473% interest in unit 3B I wonder if this flexibility would be a new interpretation or an option they have had and not exercised?
Yes. They're part of the declaration, and the contract inherits UY from the unit, as I understand it. As such, to date, it has been immutable. Your birthday is your birthday, basically.

The language for the term "Use Year" is different in the DVC Membership Agreement for the Riviera and Copper Creek then it is in the original versions of some older resorts, such AKV and BLT.

Originally, I thought the Flexible UY concept might allow a Member to have deeds with different Use Years in one Member account. Now, after reviewing the new language for the Riviera and Copper Creek, I'm beginning to believe that Units and their assigned points will no longer be committed to a single Use Year for the life of the resort. Basically, this flexibility may allow DVD to assign a Use Year -- any Use Year -- as it draws points from a Unit. In theory, a Unit could have all eight Use Years represented by its points.

Of course, maybe by tomorrow I'll come up with another idea what Flexible Use Years might mean. So don't believe anything I say on this subject.

By the way, a Unit's Use Year is not part of the declaration. Also, I'm surprised that any deed, including resale deed, doesn't show a Use Year. I can't remember the last time I noticed a resale deed that didn't show the Use year.

The language for the term "Use Year" is different in the DVC Membership Agreement for the Riviera and Copper Creek then it is in the original versions of some older resorts, such AKV and BLT.

Originally, I thought the Flexible UY concept might allow a Member to have deeds with different Use Years in one Member account. Now, after reviewing the new language for the Riviera and Copper Creek, I'm beginning to believe that Units and their assigned points will no longer be committed to a single Use Year for the life of the resort. Basically, this flexibility may allow DVD to assign a Use Year -- any Use Year -- as it draws points from a Unit. In theory, a Unit could have all eight Use Years represented by its points.

Of course, maybe by tomorrow I'll come up with another idea what Flexible Use Years might mean. So don't believe anything I say on this subject.

By the way, a Unit's Use Year is not part of the declaration. Also, I'm surprised that any deed, including resale deed, doesn't show a Use Year. I can't remember the last time I noticed a resale deed that didn't show the Use year.
Yeah this was the way some read it in the original thread too. Also when I bought for CCV they originally gave me a June Use Year. I wouldn’t buy unless it was October and they simply changed the use year and the Unit I was purchasing was the same, if I recall correctly. At least this change seems to be actually for the benefit of members because will definitely make wait list for add-ons much shorter.

So probably this is how it will work. As you stated prior to CCV it said it was a part of the Unit and assigned at that level. In CCV it says DVD assigns it in the Purchase Agreement.

Last edited:
I wonder if DVD can change the UY on points that they have reacquired and then resold. That would allow them to match all purchase waitlists.

:earsboy: Bill

I wonder if DVD can change the UY on points that they have reacquired and then resold. That would allow them to match all purchase waitlists.

:earsboy: Bill
I think they will be able to for Riviera and new resorts going forward. I am less sure about current resorts. They can change the rules at any time, so the answer is probably yes.

I think they will be able to for Riviera and new resorts going forward. I am less sure about current resorts. They can change the rules at any time, so the answer is probably yes.
I just took a brief look at a few recently ROFR’d contracts on OCC and I only saw the interest indicated by percentage of unit, no mention of UY. And @wdrl confirmed that UY is not part of the declaration. So I’m beginning to think that UY is/has always been an “artificial construct” of the points which are symbolic of the underlying deeded interest. The seemingly obvious question is “why have they waited until now?”

Well today I decided to "curl up by the fire with a glass of wine (tea for now) and the membership documents - as recorded in the OCC Master Declarations. I suppose some of this language may have already been revised over the years. But It is interesting to see the iterations of the language defining "Use Year" over the years and resorts.
  • OKW started us off simply defining when the UY for a given ownership interest begins -in the month following the month of a given Unit's declaration to the condominium.
  • BWV and BRV had the most restrictive language stating that all ownership interests in a given unit shall have the same UY and that any ownership purchased to supplement an existing ownership must have the same UY it supplements.
  • Then BCV dropped the supplemental ownership language. BCV's master declaration also had different formatting as though it were prepared by a different agency/firm.
  • Then SSR, AKV and BLT had identical language allowing different UY's within a unit and stating any supplemental ownership interests may be in the same UY as existing.
  • Then VGF and PVB went minimalist stating only that DVD sets UY month - no language related to Unit UY's or supplemental interests
  • Lastly CCV and DRR have identical definitions, also minimalist (DVD sets UY month) except adding that "There may be different UY's for ownership interests in the same unit".
As @wdrl points out, the notion of "Flexible Use Year" hinges on the definition of Use Year, and there are a bunch of them. My guess is the CCV and DRR language is the new standard for "updated Membership Agreement documents" as it allows DVD to set UY and does not tie a Unit to a given UY. If that is correct the biggest change will be to language at BWV and BRV as I indicated above. Attached is a summary I jotted down as I went through the declarations comparing the definition of Use Year in each resort's DVC Membership Agreement (emphasis mine).

Old Key West: States "Use Year shall mean the twelve month period beginning on the first day of the month following the month in which the Unit in which a Club Member owns an Ownership Interest is declared by DVD as part of the condominium." No language as it pertains to supplemental ownership interest Use Year.

Boardwalk: DVD designates the UY month. States "All ownership interests in a given unit shall have the same Use Year" and "Any ownership interest purchased to supplement a Club Member's existing ownership must have the same Use Year as the ownership it supplements."

Boulder Ridge: DVD designates the UY month. States "All ownership interests in a given unit shall have the same Use Year. "Any ownership interest purchased to supplement a Club Member's existing ownership must have the same Use Year as the ownership it supplements."

Beach Club: States "Use Year shall mean the twelve month period beginning on the first day of the month following the month in which the Unit in which a Club Member owns an Ownership Interest is declared by DVD as part of the condominium." No language similar to older agreements as it pertains to supplemental ownership interest Use Year.

Saratoga Springs: DVD designates the UY month. States "All ownership interests in a given Unit may have the same Use Year" and "Any ownership interest purchased to supplement a Club Member's existing interest may have the same Use Year as the interest it supplements".

Animal Kingdom: DVD designates the UY month. States "All ownership interests in a given Unit may have the same Use Year" and "Any ownership interest purchased to supplement a Club Member's existing interest may have the same Use Year as the interest it supplements".

Bay Lake Tower: DVD designates UY month. States "All ownership interests in a given Unit may have the same Use Year" and "Any ownership interest purchased to supplement a Club Member's existing interest may have the same Use Year as the interest it supplements".

Grand Floridian: DVD designates UY month. No language similar to older agreements as it pertains to Unit Use Year or supplemental ownership interest Use Year.

Polynesian: DVD designates UY month. No language similar to older agreements as it pertains to Unit Use Year or supplemental ownership interest Use Year.

Copper Creek: DVD designates UY month. States "There may be different Use Years for Ownership Interests in the same Unit." No language as it pertains to supplemental ownership Use Year

Riviera: DVD designates UY month. States "There may be different Use Years for Ownership Interests in the same Unit." No language as it pertains to supplemental ownership Use Year

Last edited:
I’m not 100% if it goes along with this or not but when we just bought at CCV, they just automatically matched our UY to our other at PVB. When we had purchased, I thought for sure it would have had a different UY so I was surprised that it was a non-issue. Again, totally clueless but when I read the latest Member Files I totally took it to mean that DVD would match UY to whatever previous UY the member owned on their other contracts. Being a noob, I always thought the UY was a made up thing they did to make things more complicated than it needed to be :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter