Disney Hotel Prices are Out of Control!

We will be there in less than a week. TPV Atrium CL, CL is sold out and we paid nowhere near $1000/night. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Maybe the suites in the Tower Club are that price?

I just know that our TPV Atrium CL was right at $1000/night for our trip last March, and it's the same for our trip in mid-October.

I haven't stayed anywhere except S/D the last 10 years or so - so I'll concede dez1978 likely has a valid point that Disney is not just charging more but giving less than they used to.

We LOVED GF and BC when we stayed there. Felt like the service and amenities were first rate. Interesting though that people we know always stayed at Port Orleans and felt the service and the amenities were first rate too. Maybe it's changed now - maybe the Disney deluxe hotels are cutting corners. I wouldn't know and don't plan on finding out (except 6 years from now - maybe - when I'm paying for a trip for the whole family and thinking of BC)

And the food? That's always been a point of contention as far back as I started to research (mid 1990s). It was sort of expected that they'd cut corners there - a lot goes into that decision too I assume. Like ANY restaurant - the atmosphere is part of the price too. Comparing a character buffet at Disney with that at Golden Corral? OK - sure.

Anyway, these discussions are always problematic because it combines emotion with logic and they conflict here are much as anywhere. Disney charges for the "emotion" they trigger in many people. And the value of that varies GREATLY among their guests.

I doubt any of us on here disagree in general. Just so you realize I see your point, we went to the character meal at Hollywood/Vine last year. And that one is permanently off our list. Food was in fact horrible.

We also did the princess dinner in Norway. Food was OK but the overall experience was special. "Worth" it? That can't be determined across everyone, and CERTAINLY can't be measured by the food only. To us, it was worth it. to other, likely not.

But your last point - they only get away with it because they are Disney. Yep. Actually, they get away with it because enough people value the Disney brand as they do.

To that point, I wonder if there will be an adjustment of sorts made sometime soon given the emphasis on "legacy" intellectual properties. Live action remakes being one example - another under the radar is replacing the theming of Illuminations to be focused on Disney characters (at what was intended to be essentially a non-Disney park).

If so , they will adapt / adjust.

What I am saying is, if you are spending 60 on a buffet, then the quality of the food should be better than Golden corrals.

Which buffets? It seems to me with the character ones you're paying for the character actors, or for the ones in the parks you're paying the park premium.

My wife and I considered $50pp at Boma last year (less 10% off Disney Visa, plus tax and tip) to be a splurge and it'll be a while before we go back, but the quality of food was excellent. Waay above something like Golden Corral. So with the decor/atmosphere, I think that's probably price-appropriate. If you're spending $60pp so Princesses can meet your kids at your table while you're actually in a Disney park, it's not so much the food that you're paying for, no more than at a dinner theater.

Okay, but you could go to Disney the exact same way you went to Europe (hd out for cheap airfare, stay at an Airbnb, grocery shop and make your own meals) and pay considerably less than $8,500. So you are comparing apples to oranges. This post is about hotel rates and there is no way you could fly to Europe and stay in hotels for that little.
Plus many would not consider having to cook TWO meals a day (leaving little flexibility or the ability to enjoy the local cuisine) a vacation. I certainly would feel like I was missing out on something if I had to spend that much time in a kitcehn when I could be out exploring (not to mention having to come back early every day to be able to make dinner).

Which buffets? It seems to me with the character ones you're paying for the character actors, or for the ones in the parks you're paying the park premium.

My wife and I considered $50pp at Boma last year (less 10% off Disney Visa, plus tax and tip) to be a splurge and it'll be a while before we go back, but the quality of food was excellent. Waay above something like Golden Corral. So with the decor/atmosphere, I think that's probably price-appropriate. If you're spending $60pp so Princesses can meet your kids at your table while you're actually in a Disney park, it's not so much the food that you're paying for, no more than at a dinner theater.
WE did Crystal Palace and Tusker. I'm aware that you are paying a premium because of the characters. That doesn't mean the food should not be good as well. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't any better than what I could get here at home. In fact, Golden Corral has better desserts lol.

Plus many would not consider having to cook TWO meals a day (leaving little flexibility or the ability to enjoy the local cuisine) a vacation. I certainly would feel like I was missing out on something if I had to spend that much time in a kitcehn when I could be out exploring (not to mention having to come back early every day to be able to make dinner).
We picked up croissants on our way home each evening and with some fruit and store-bought yogurt had a very European breakfast each day for much less money than going out (European restaurants charge more to sit at a table than to take away). It also involved no cooking. We do super easy dinners as well. Spaghetti with meat sauce and salad much like home, a poulet roti picked up from the boucherie then add sauteed vegetables and a baguette. It really takes no time, tastes wonderful and when eaten out doors on your patio in Provence with a glass of wine is the most perfect ending to the day.

I think those that are complaining have never experienced this type of vacation and you really should. The world is so much more than fictional characters and 30 second rides. Just like a Disney vacation if it's something you really want to do then you will make it work financially.

I've heard the PP's comments before from many other people though.

I think the point is does the quality of food have to sacrifice because there are characters or whatnot. It's a valid point IMO. Pretty much everyone knows you're paying for the characters and whatnot but is it wrong to hope that the food is actually fairly good too?

I haven't eaten at the buffets in WDW because buffets in general are not my cup of tea but I've seen many comments from people regarding the value of them in relation to food quality so it's not something new and an opinion shared by more than just the poster you quoted.

FWIW Boma is one of the ones people seem to be speaking more highly of. Boma however is not a character dining. You aren't paying for that there so why should a place where you do have character dining suffer according to a variety of people in regards to the food quality?

You are correct. And that's why I said they only get away with it bc it's Disney. People pay it bc its Disney and that's what they want. No other company could get away with these prices and this level of quality.

Yes they could. Location, location, location.

And as far as the buffets go, I like the food. Granted, I do mostly breakfast which is kind of hard to screw up. But the Crystal Palace has good food, as does the Garden Grill. Other posters may disagree with me, and that is fine. But too many post their opinions as facts. "The food sucks. Nothing is edible". Just as much an opinion as mine that it is mostly good.

We picked up croissants on our way home each evening and with some fruit and store-bought yogurt had a very European breakfast each day for much less money than going out (European restaurants charge more to sit at a table than to take away). It also involved no cooking. We do super easy dinners as well. Spaghetti with meat sauce and salad much like home, a poulet roti picked up from the boucherie then add sauteed vegetables and a baguette. It really takes no time, tastes wonderful and when eaten out doors on your patio in Provence with a glass of wine is the most perfect ending to the day.

I think those that are complaining have never experienced this type of vacation and you really should. The world is so much more than fictional characters and 30 second rides. Just like a Disney vacation if it's something you really want to do then you will make it work financially.
All I was saying is I don't consider having to cook on my vacation a vacation. Even when I rent a house or stay somewhere that has a kitchenette when traveling both within the US and Internationally, I'd much prefer to have my meals prepared by someone else and so I do. But not cooking on a trip for Disney vs cooking on YOUR European vacations isn't really a similar comparison when it comes to money (and I think that's where people were saying you can't really "do" Europe for less without making sacrifices). This does not mean that I'm complaining, or that I've never left the US because I love travel and have toured Europe, Asia, and Africa.

And as far as the buffets go, I like the food. Granted, I do mostly breakfast which is kind of hard to screw up. But the Crystal Palace has good food, as does the Garden Grill. Other posters may disagree with me, and that is fine. But too many post their opinions as facts. "The food sucks. Nothing is edible". Just as much an opinion as mine that it is mostly good.
Well that's true. Couldn't tell you the horror on one of the local DISer's face when I mentioned we had an ADR for Mama Melrose for our trip in 2017. It was totally fine in fact the mushroom pizza was very good IMO. But my one good opinion tends to come up against a larger quantity of people saying it's not all that good.

On breakfast..you'd be surprised how you can screw that up especially when you start adding in ways people like their bacon or eggs or whatnot.

The food quality complaint though in respects to character dining is one I've read so many times over it's a bit hard not to at least give some weight to it.

I don't dislike the food per se, it just wasn't the quality it should be for the price. There was nothing we ate in the 6 days that we were there that really wow'd me, and for the price there should have been. Crystal Palace was ok, as was Garden Grill, but other than the strawberry shortcake, there was nothing I couldn't have gotten the same quality for 12.99.

I don't dislike the food per se, it just wasn't the quality it should be for the price. There was nothing we ate in the 6 days that we were there that really wow'd me, and for the price there should have been. Crystal Palace was ok, as was Garden Grill, but other than the strawberry shortcake, there was nothing I couldn't have gotten the same quality for 12.99.

Again, you are paying for location. And for characters. Not just food. I think the food is good, for sure. But I know much of the cost is due to the characters. I can't find that anywhere near home for 12.99

We spend 7 days each trip. 4 of us. Usually every 2 years. We generally stay at Value resorts and get a 6 day base ticket. No hoppers....ever. And almost always use a pin code for the rooms and eat QS food. Once a trip Sit down...meal.
On average including airfare....well spend 3500-4k on a Disney vacation..either WDW or DLR. To me..3-4k even 4500 - is an incredible value for a weeks vacation at Disney. Deluxe resorts certainly are $$ but if people have to ask how much they cost a night...they probably shouldn't be staying Deluxe. I just don't understand how anyone could spend close to 10k for a week at WDW unless there is a huge family...im talking family of 4. Again, Deluxe resorts are great...but if one can afford that...then Disney prices are not an issue.
We go often and do it on a minimal budget..but we still have the greatest of times...and consider the prices right in line with what we get. I think folks want all the best of everything and still want it cheap...Just doesn't make sense. I have found the folks that generally stay at value resorts and just love WDW vacations.....tend to complain a whole lot less. Especially concerning $$ We love our Disney vacations..never really had any issues and get our money worth. DLR is becoming our favorite...Just love DL park..but still do 7 day trips and 4 park days there instead of 6 at WDW. We will always go to both.
All the fuss over food quality and prices....just go somewhere else if its that much of an issue. Or Do a Disney vacation down here with us Value folks...you may be surprised how much fun you'll have and no complaining either. Life is good.

We spend 7 days each trip. 4 of us. Usually every 2 years. We generally stay at Value resorts and get a 6 day base ticket. No hoppers....ever. And almost always use a pin code for the rooms and eat QS food. Once a trip Sit down...meal.
On average including airfare....well spend 3500-4k on a Disney vacation..either WDW or DLR. To me..3-4k even 4500 - is an incredible value for a weeks vacation at Disney. Deluxe resorts certainly are $$ but if people have to ask how much they cost a night...they probably shouldn't be staying Deluxe. I just don't understand how anyone could spend close to 10k for a week at WDW unless there is a huge family...im talking family of 4. Again, Deluxe resorts are great...but if one can afford that...then Disney prices are not an issue.
We go often and do it on a minimal budget..but we still have the greatest of times...and consider the prices right in line with what we get. I think folks want all the best of everything and still want it cheap...Just doesn't make sense. I have found the folks that generally stay at value resorts and just love WDW vacations.....tend to complain a whole lot less. Especially concerning $$ We love our Disney vacations..never really had any issues and get our money worth. DLR is becoming our favorite...but still do 7 day trips and 4 park days there instead of 6 at WDW. We will always go to both.
All the fuss over food quality and prices....just go somewhere else if its that much of an issue. Or Do a Disney vacation down here with us Value folks...you may be surprised how much fun you'll have and no complaining either. Life is good.
How do you get a PIN code to use so regularly?

I think everything is obviously contextual, if you are taking into consideration the hotel simply being a hotel? Then yes, they are ridiculously expensive. My family and I just came back from Europe and I took my wife to stay at a really 'expensive' 5-star hotel that Simon Cowell stays ay when he is in town, it was 'legit' as the cool kids would say ;o) Friday night stay, inclusive of Valet and breakfast? $135 lol. Thats a night at POP these days?!? That said, when I go to a soccer tournament in Oregon we stay at a run of the mill (albeit new) Springhill suites and its $200 per night! lol

I don't think any of the hotels are anywhere close to $500 a night that some of the rooms get to even on discount. But you have to look at the overall inclusiveness at what you are getting, and it is more than just the room. It doesn't justify the expense of course, but it does give it a little more context than simply being a hotel room. When we stay at the Poly or the CR for example, we are doing so because of location and convenience of travel too and from the MK and other parks. Our last stay at the Poly was in an older long house and the room was tired with a door missing to the fridge! lol, definitely not something you would expect for the price. But somehow, Disney is able to convince you that all of the additional extras are worth it... and perhaps they are, as people keep coming back! My family included. But this discussion does bring up some interesting points, is there a ceiling to the prices that Disney can charge that will truly see attendance drop significantly? I don't see if happening soon, even with all the discounts we have access too, the cheapest we have had for the Poly and the like will not be seen again for a long time, so nothing but Split stays will work for us, some time off site and some time onsite.

With respect to the food? My family loves the food at the Poly from all the service points as well as the restaurants, so I guess its all a matter of taste. Sometimes when you get caught up in how much things cost it can skew the way you evaluate it, that's not to say that price is not a consideration, but having it be at the forefront all the time definitely alters people perceptions. I convince myself I am paying for 'experiences' and not tangible things, maybe its lying to myself so not to think about how much money it really costs! lol... but either way, its the thing that keeps us coming back for now. I guess that may change as the kids get older but until then I better keep saving!

We go often and do it on a minimal budget..but we still have the greatest of times...and consider the prices right in line with what we get. I think folks want all the best of everything and still want it cheap...Just doesn't make sense. I have found the folks that generally stay at value resorts and just love WDW vacations.....tend to complain a whole lot less. Especially concerning $$ We love our Disney vacations..never really had any issues and get our money worth. DLR is becoming our favorite...Just love DL park..but still do 7 day trips and 4 park days there instead of 6 at WDW. We will always go to both.

Personally I’m pretty satisfied with what we pay and the value we get for our resort. We rent points. I think the resort prices, particularly the moderates and deluxes have gone way up but for now we’re not impacted by that.

It’s the ticket prices plus all the extras that used to be included that really get me. 10 day hoppers for my kids and parents are about $200 more per ticket than they were on our last trip, only 2 years apart. That’s a major jump. Comparing apples to apples, in prior years park hours (MK hours) were much more plentiful, so to “buy back” those hours you’re looking at $100+ per person in your party, for a single night. Food cost has also gone way up in the last decade or so.

It’s still worth it to us, so we still come, even though I’m slightly horrified with how much more things cost us every trip. I disagree with the notion that it’s just people who want the $1000 room for less who take issue with WDW pricing. Also when you’re talking Disney, with years and years of emotion and memories tied up in taking vacations there, it’s really not as black and white as if you don’t like it don’t go.

I go to Europe, but I'm not interested in eating at my accommodations with food brought back there from the supermarket or cafe or whatever. It's more inexpensive, but it's kind of dull. I'd go eat at the cafe, where there are people to watch and maybe chat with. I probably treat WDW the same way.

I think everything is obviously contextual, if you are taking into consideration the hotel simply being a hotel? Then yes, they are ridiculously expensive. My family and I just came back from Europe and I took my wife to stay at a really 'expensive' 5-star hotel that Simon Cowell stays ay when he is in town, it was 'legit' as the cool kids would say ;o) Friday night stay, inclusive of Valet and breakfast? $135 lol. Thats a night at POP these days?!? That said, when I go to a soccer tournament in Oregon we stay at a run of the mill (albeit new) Springhill suites and its $200 per night! lol

I don't think any of the hotels are anywhere close to $500 a night that some of the rooms get to even on discount. But you have to look at the overall inclusiveness at what you are getting, and it is more than just the room. It doesn't justify the expense of course, but it does give it a little more context than simply being a hotel room. When we stay at the Poly or the CR for example, we are doing so because of location and convenience of travel too and from the MK and other parks. Our last stay at the Poly was in an older long house and the room was tired with a door missing to the fridge! lol, definitely not something you would expect for the price. But somehow, Disney is able to convince you that all of the additional extras are worth it... and perhaps they are, as people keep coming back! My family included. But this discussion does bring up some interesting points, is there a ceiling to the prices that Disney can charge that will truly see attendance drop significantly? I don't see if happening soon, even with all the discounts we have access too, the cheapest we have had for the Poly and the like will not be seen again for a long time, so nothing but Split stays will work for us, some time off site and some time onsite.

With respect to the food? My family loves the food at the Poly from all the service points as well as the restaurants, so I guess its all a matter of taste. Sometimes when you get caught up in how much things cost it can skew the way you evaluate it, that's not to say that price is not a consideration, but having it be at the forefront all the time definitely alters people perceptions. I convince myself I am paying for 'experiences' and not tangible things, maybe its lying to myself so not to think about how much money it really costs! lol... but either way, its the thing that keeps us coming back for now. I guess that may change as the kids get older but until then I better keep saving!
We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel for three nights right before Christmas. I was going to do a Good Neighbor hotel but my teen daughter said she wanted the Magic. It didn’t take much for me to agree. The visit is a special occasion. Never been to the DL and the hotel looks like a real treat. It’s just an investment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!