Disney In Talks to Acquire Majority of 21st Century Fox

No 5th gate as a result of buying Fox, I firmly believe all the Fox franchises like Aliens etc will stay out of the parks. They're only presence will be Movies,TV and probably merchandise.

With all the current expansions I'm now not expecting a 5th gate to even be an option for another 15 years or so

Due to labor issues, I don't think a 5th gate will ever happen. It's also tons more infrastructure at the cap x and ongoing basis. They can expand the existing parks to deal with ever increasing crowds, so they likely will do that instead. Sucks though.

What’s interesting in that is that they believe Disney will also continue what Fox are currently doing in the UK which is buy out the remaining 61% of Sky TV for sole ownership at the cost of another $20 billion. That’s the same as Disney owning a UK version of Comcast providing TV, broadband, mobile contracts, home phone etc....

Sky currently have about 60% of the pay TV market in then UK

Still wonder what these are worth today.
It’s hard to figure out now that they are under the Disney umbrella. A quick search shows Disney itself is worth around $165 billion. I can’t see these individual studios being worth a ton more than what Disney paid for them. I know many felt Disney got a deal on Lucasfilm though.

It’s hard to figure out now that they are under the Disney umbrella. A quick search shows Disney itself is worth around $165 billion. I can’t see these individual studios being worth a ton more than what Disney paid for them. I know many felt Disney got a deal on Lucasfilm though.

I am sure both Lucas and Marvel would be worth more now since they have been revitalized - especial Star Wars with the new movies - but part of that value is the synergies with othe Disney stuff so they would be worth less awaybfrom disney than with it

Hard to gauge Pixar at this point - especially after Lasseter's misdeeds/creepiness now out there as he was the face of Pixar

Hard to gauge Pixar at this point - especially after Lasseter's misdeeds/creepiness now out there as he was the face of Pixar

Not just that, but of those three acquisitions Pixar is the only one who’s kind of faltered under Disney’s leadership. Marvel movies are surefire hits, and Star Wars is...well, Star Wars. Pixar was great for a time, but the last few years have been full of “fall from grace” stories with Good Dinosaur and the Cars sequels. Certainly still an amazing entertainment company, but their reputation has been tarnished by its leadership (both Lasseter and Catmull) and their lesser, more recent movies

Not just that, but of those three acquisitions Pixar is the only one who’s kind of faltered under Disney’s leadership. Marvel movies are surefire hits, and Star Wars is...well, Star Wars. Pixar was great for a time, but the last few years have been full of “fall from grace” stories with Good Dinosaur and the Cars sequels. Certainly still an amazing entertainment company, but their reputation has been tarnished by its leadership (both Lasseter and Catmull) and their lesser, more recent movies
You have Toy Story 3, Inside Out and now Coco that are more successful during hat time. Disney animation has surely rebounded as well with major hits like Frozen and Zootopia. I think Pixar is now competing with Disney animation again which can be hard at times.

You have Toy Story 3, Inside Out and now Coco that are more successful during hat time. Disney animation has surely rebounded as well with major hits like Frozen and Zootopia. I think Pixar is now competing with Disney animation again which can be hard at times.

Oh yeah, Pixar is absolutely still a super strong company that’s amazing when they’re good - I just think that of the Disney acquisitions its positive press has been more uneven lately. But, that’s also an older acquisition. Marvel and Lucasfilm will probably also peter out after a few more years.

I’ll be very interested to see what Disney’s ownership of Fox does for their productions - especially the movies coming out of Blue Sky, since a third animation studio is probably low on Disney’s priority list in this deal. I also wonder what will happen with Fox’s broadway shows - Disney would go from having three shows to five, and I’m not sure they’re interested in running that many at once.

Oh yeah, Pixar is absolutely still a super strong company that’s amazing when they’re good - I just think that of the Disney acquisitions its positive press has been more uneven lately. But, that’s also an older acquisition. Marvel and Lucasfilm will probably also peter out after a few more years.

I’ll be very interested to see what Disney’s ownership of Fox does for their productions - especially the movies coming out of Blue Sky, since a third animation studio is probably low on Disney’s priority list in this deal. I also wonder what will happen with Fox’s broadway shows - Disney would go from having three shows to five, and I’m not sure they’re interested in running that many at once.
That’s a very good point. Maybe they would just roll Blue Sky into Toon Studios?

A quick search shows Disney itself is worth around $165 billion.

Yea I'm not saying what are they worth if Disney put them up for sale, just what impact on the $165B might be resulting from Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars investments. Obviously impossible to say, but it could have been some important contributors. Maybe this new investment might do the same?

That’s a very good point. Maybe they would just roll Blue Sky into Toon Studios?

I would hope it maybe gives Disney Animation the space to return to 2D Animation, since three cinematic 3D studios (plus toon studios) seems too much for any company, to the point that I wonder if they might have trouble with the monopoly laws on that one. Dreamworks and Illumination would be the only two left not owned by Disney. I’m not sure they’d just close Blue Sky or relegate it to direct-to-Video production, since they do have so much success with Ice Age, and their other movies have been fairly well reviewed.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/di...iew-jp-morgan-guggenheim-partners-1202634210/

Some interesting stuff in here comparing what Disney is trying to do to what Walmart is doing. I also think the regional sports networks is an interesting gamble not really talked about much on here.

The regional sports networks are huge imo. It really would give a needed resurgence to ESPN. This part of the deal really shows plus the streaming sports service (forget the official name) that Disney is doublin down on ESPN.

Great little meme I saw on Facebook. Since the xenomorphs from alien were born from their queen, that means if Disney buys fox they’re technically “Disney princesses”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter