Disney just CANCELLED my res for 5 and booked a waitlist for 4 HELP

ckalino

Earning My Ears
I am beyond disgusted.
We originally had a reservation for 4 in a studio at BOULDER Ridge our home resort for May 16 for 4 nights. 2 weeks ago I called and added a 5th person since it sleeps 5. The advisor said I was all set.
...I forgot....I wait listed Copper Creek.
Until today.
Email comes over. New reservation for Copper Creek for 4. Where is the 5th person??? The computer DELETED THE 5th PERSON!!!!!!
Copper Creek only sleeps 4....
I call and there is NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I HAVE 1500 in airfare. NOTHING THEY CAN DO except waitlist.
I cannot make fast pass reservations for my party bc it's only for 4. I am not confident ...knowing Disney being a member for 20 years that we will have a place to stay.
2 supervisors later...they FIND me a studio at poly. I dont want to stay at poly. But their is nowhere else. Here is the real kicker.....it was THEIR error and I HAVE TO PAY MORE. Did this ever happen to anyone? Insight please. I am beyond devastated and do not know what to do.

The advisor assured me I was all set. I am pretty well versed with DVC for 20 years. Why would a reservation for 5 be cancelled? Copper cannot accomodate 5

Sorry that this happened to you. Seems like you are stuck, keeping track of which resorts sleep X amount of people is becoming a challenge. As a DVC owner we have had issues like this from time to time and have learned to keep things simple so we don't waitlist anymore.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I do not think it is their fault unless you told them to cancel the waitlst. That would be up to you. I also think you should take the Poly and waitlist for BRV. Good luck.

When adding the 5th person I specifically asked is there anything else that I need to do. She assured me "no". With having 4 to 5 reservations booked a year....I did not remember that this particular res was waitlisted.
The supervisor said specifically the modified reservation should NOT have been cancelled it should have not booked the waitlist bc the reservation was for 5. But for some reason it did and deleted a person. I should not have to pay more points. She admitted it was their computer error....but everything is sold out....for studios.
So I am stuck paying 20 more points. It is not fair. Technology today is better than that. Shame on them

You would think they’d be willing to waive the 20 extra points BUT it doesn’t seem like 100% their fault. Because how would the system know that you didn’t need ANOTHER reservation for 4 for the same time period. Especially since you had other reservations. It’s still just a computer, it seems more like human error than IT.
It does suck though and I’m sorry for your trouble.

When adding the 5th person I specifically asked is there anything else that I need to do. She assured me "no". With having 4 to 5 reservations booked a year....I did not remember that this particular res was waitlisted.
The supervisor said specifically the modified reservation should NOT have been cancelled it should have not booked the waitlist bc the reservation was for 5. But for some reason it did and deleted a person. I should not have to pay more points. She admitted it was their computer error....but everything is sold out....for studios.
So I am stuck paying 20 more points. It is not fair. Technology today is better than that. Shame on them

Personally I'd have expected it to cancel and be replaced. Some might have called to double check but for the most part the responsibility does fall down to us as the owners who control our membership usage. I'm definitely sorry that happened and it does sound like they have done a lot to try and help you out with finding the PVB reservation. Sometimes it's just chalking it up to experience and something to never let happen again.

For FP's as long as you have a reservation and all 5 have tickets then you would be able to reserve FP's for everyone. I know there's been some recent changes to the FP rules but if that part has stayed the same it won't cause you an issue.

I’m confused - did you not cancel the 4 person wait list when your group grew to 5 & you no longer wanted the wait list?
Aren’t you supposed to cancel a wait list if you decide you’re good w/ what you have - I’ve always assumed that’s what you need to do so that bad things like a waitlist you no longer want filling and canceling what you do want don’t happen - but I am a bit paranoid when it comes to tech as it seems to me computers can do things that make no sense.
Once the shock of having tech do the illogical wears off I hope there’s some upside to staying at the Poly.

Last edited:
If they are admitting to a mistake on their part then hold them accountable. Ask for the Poly to be at no additional points or to put you in a 2-bedroom at BRV or CCV. If they are admitting it was their fault then they should be offering more. Ask for a manager. Ask for documentation. PUSH THE UP BUTTON!

While it won't help for this reservation, it seems like you are calling MS for bookings/modifications. Unfortunately, that can be hit or miss. Come back here and ask about using the online booking engine, it is much better than it was.

The Poly is a great resort! Make the best of it, after all, it's all Disney.

I also am very sorry this happen to you. But I think you share some of the blame for not cancelling. For all DVC knows, you might have had family (party of 2) staying in CCV and if the wait list filled you'd move one person to Grandma and Grandpa's room. Either way, it's a good reminder to always keep track of waitlists.

I'm very happy they were able to get you a studio at Poly. It's a pretty nice fallback all things considered!

I may be the outlier here, but you made the waitlist, you didn’t cancel it: it’s not on them.

They don’t owe you anything. You WERE all set for BRV, until they followed YOUR instructions and replaced that reservation with CCV.

Your thread title is wrong. DVC didn’t cancel your reservation; you did.

Even so, they went out of their way and found you a Poly reservation to fix the fact that you have $1500 in air tickets, so that’s no longer an issue.

Being “forced” to stay at Poly and paying a few extra points for it seems like a small price for a big solution.

Instead of, “Can you believe DVC did this to me!?”, I think the better response should be, “Can you believe DVC did this for me, that is, saving my trip by finding me a room for 5?!”

I'd be upset, too. But since you did not cancel the waitlist, and evidently had originally instructed that the BRV reservation be cancelled in favor of the CRV reservation, I don't think I'd be all about blaming DVC entirely. Both you (for not remembering your waitlist) and the DVC CM (who should have seen your waitlist and asked when you added the 5th person) share blame, IMO.

While the Poly isn't my favorite, it is still a very nice resort, and very conveniently located. I would ask them to credit you with any points beyond BRV, and be thrilled if they did so. But I would not be upset if they could not do so. ANother nice alternative, that sleeps 5 comfortably, and has lots of room and likely would save points, would be an OKW 1 bedroom.

Since you are well w/in 7 months & if they won’t return the 20 points & you need those points for a future trip you should at least be able to buy one time use points to cover the extra 20.

The advisor assured me I was all set. I am pretty well versed with DVC for 20 years. Why would a reservation for 5 be cancelled? Copper cannot accomodate 5
Sounds like a bit of user error. Once you knew the 5th person was being added to the reservation then the CCV waitlist should have been canceled by you. Disney IT is sufficient but I don't think the system is smart enough to recognize a waitlist and the room occupancy. The job of the system - whether by an actual CM or computer - is to fulfill the waitlist based on what you the member has requested. They did their job.

I am not sure if the waitlist system is all automated now or if a CM still has to complete the process. I guess if a CM set eyes on the reservation they might question it IF they can see the number in a room, but we don't actually know what they see. It could simply be they see the open CCV reservation and they cancel the BRV to complete your waitlist - never actually seeing your occupancy.

But this is a great point to make for other members so that we don't all make the same mistake.

It sounds like at least they have a room for you on property. Poly is very nice and the extra bathroom space is a bonus when you have 5 people trying to get ready at the same time.

Last edited:
While I do believe you share some blame in this, Disney did admit the reservation should not have been cancelled automatically ...so I would expect them to cover the 20 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!