Disney looking for space in Coney Island??

AnnaS

DIS Veteran
Our local News Station last night said that Disney was reviewing/looking for enough space for a surprise, possibly a ride? Are they kidding. Locals were not happy about it either. Has anyone heard anything or did anyone else from our area see this?

Maybe they plan a new DVC resort ??? (I wish!)

I heard the report this morning on 1010 WINS radio in NYC. I haven't been able to find anything in writing. The news segment didn't say what their source was.

:eek: :eek: I heard on Good Day NY this am live from Sheepshead bay that the Walt Disney Corporation is interested in Coney Island.While listening to the program the mayor told a new reporter that the Disney Co. was interested in coming to NY, and that Brooklynn would love to have Disney develop there. Anybody have more info on this???

I hope they do! Thats a lot closer to me than florida!

I heard the report this morning on 1010 WINS radio in NYC. It's now lunchtime and they are no longer broadcasting the report. I looked in many local news websites and have found nothing. The news segment I heard didn't say what their source was.

I hope its true too!! Thats like 45 min from me. That would be so cool to have Disney 45 min away. But it probably wont happen,.

Well, it would be consistant with Eisner's omnipresent facination with roller-coasters and other off the shelf rides...

Me, I seem to remember that it snows in New York...

Sarangel

Back 10 years ago with the quality that Disney used to aspire to, you might make the case that due to the what happened in New York, Disney's America would be built there.. Ahh, but, let's get real with these folks. That would require quality.

No one would love Disney in NY more than me !!! I won't let myself get too excited because I know the area. The traffic in Coney Island is a NIGHTMARE. The roads to get near the NYC Aquarium in C.I. are always congested. There simply doesn't seem to be enough physical space to do something there. Maybe it'll be like Times Square. A Disney Presence, but not really an attraction.

Sounds good to me!

I visited Coney Island once to ride the Cyclone and it wasn't pleasant.......oh, the coaster was amazing, it was everything else.

If Disney re-developed Coney Island it would be a win-win situation.

Slightly off topic... there's been a rumor here in Boston for years that Disney owns some waterfront property... but have yet to develop it...

Given their success with Times Square, I think Disney could be doing good things with smaller parcels of land... not every Disney vacation endeavor needs to take a week to enjoy!

The Coney Island rumour has appeared in other threads as a way to offset the costs of DCA's failure. It kinda makes sense in a backwards kinda way seeing as how Eisner wanted DCA to be Coney Island.

If eisner did Coney Island like DCA, then what would it be, a DCI?:rolleyes:
on the other hand DCA would be perfect in NY.

Originally posted by Sarangel
Well, it would be consistant with Eisner's omnipresent facination with roller-coasters and other off the shelf rides...

Me, I seem to remember that it snows in New York...

Sarangel

No, Your Wrong, it doesnt snow in New York anymore! We got what, not even an inch this past winter and maybe 2 inches the one b4. When I was a kid, we got 25 inches of snow a winter at the least!

A couple things I'm curious about...

Are they going to try to recreate Coney Island as it was in its heyday?

If not, then why Coney Island? I would think a more open expanse of land, like South Jersey, might be more to their liking. Assuming, of course, that they want a larger project than Coney Island.

And what happened to the Virginia project? I remember heavy talk about it, but I think the locals were not in favor of it at all. Anyone remember this??

Personally, living 2-3 hours from New York, I think I'd STILL rather go to FL.

Living here in NYC, I obviously would LOVE to see some more Disney influence, particularly in terms of recreation... However, there is NO WAY that Disney will ever get enough land to do anything on any scale here and the infrastructure would never support a Disney "attraction" on any scale in Brooklyn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter