Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

I like that the menu has regional inspirations. I feel like when I travel by cruise I don't want to eat too many meals away from the ship because those are already paid for, but this allows you to get a taste of the countries you're visiting.

It was nice they offered the regional inspirations. I'm not sure if these change according where you sailed. I did see the World of Flavour Menu was offered on a recent 7nt Med cruise in 2018 so you may see it again for the British Isles. It seems to be one they rotate.

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Cruise Day 3 – Portland (Stonehenge), England

weather: Portland drizzle partly sunny 63 °F / 17 °C

Welcome to Portland, England!

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00721.JPG

DSC00728.JPG

Today’s Navigator

All Ashore: 7:30 am / All Aboard: 5:30 pm
Attire: Cruise Casual
Show: Walt Disney: The Dream Goes On
Dinner Menu: Standard Rotational
Drink of the Day: High Tide / Non-Alcoholic: Virgin Lilikoi Mojito

Side 1

bi navigatorsportland.jpg

Side 2

bi navigators0010.jpg

Portland was a brand new port for Disney in 2017 – with our stop being only the 2nd time the Magic has ever docked here.

(Disney parks blog announcement)
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/04/admiring-natural-wonders-in-portland-england-with-disney-cruise-line/

(stock photo)

map3.jpg

3 more visits are planned for 2018/2019:
  • September 9, 2018 – 11 nt. - WBTA Dover to NYC
  • July 14, 2019 – 7 nt. - Western European (repo) cruise Barcelona to Dover
  • September 15, 2019 – 10 nt. - WBTA Dover to NYC
Bringing the total to 5x in 3 years = very few Disney cruisers to date for this destination.

So it felt special to be here.

Portland is another industrial port. Which meant walking around was not permitted beyond the ship.

IMG_0738.JPG

Complimentary double decker shuttle busses were lined up to take guests into the nearest town of Weymouth, with a drop off at Weymouth’s Oldest Harbour.

DSC00735.JPG

From the official port website:
http://www.portland-port.co.uk/cruise

“Portland Port lies in the heart of the Jurassic Coast, a world heritage site, renowned for its breath-taking beauty and its incredible historical heritage. Local attractions stretch from Stonehenge to Corfe Castle, with towns such as Bath, Salisbury, Dorchester and Weymouth in between. If you fancy the national dish, Fish and Chips, and a sunbathe on an award winning beach, then calling at Portland Port will provide that for you.

Be sure to keep your eyes on the quayside as you depart, Portland Port prides itself on providing you with the best memories of your cruise and tops it off with variety of acts and a 3 shot salute from the Nothe Fort Victorian Artillery Brigade.”

That “3 shot salute” was a highlight not to be missed as we sailed away.

DSC01196.JPG

Along with this mystery guest on hand to greet us as we arrived!

DSC00761.JPG

At first we thought he was the town crier – but now I'm not so sure as he doesn't seem to be carrying a bell.
Iron Man thinks it’s Ben Franklin.

Unfortunately we never got the chance to be introduced. So the mystery remains!

These personal welcomes from every UK port were so great and very well received.

All the more reason we loved cruising the British Isles.

It looks like nice England weather you had.

dsc00761-jpg.339182
Maybe this guy just likes dressing like this and came to greet the ship lol. Since it's England it's probably not Ben Franklin, maybe he's one of the old King's of England?

It looks like nice England weather you had.

Maybe this guy just likes dressing like this and came to greet the ship lol. Since it's England it's probably not Ben Franklin, maybe he's one of the old King's of England?

Yes, nice England weather indeed. As you'll see, we had a mix of rain and clouds with temps in the low - mid 60's.

I loved our greeter. Especially his shoes. I was trying to determine if any of the founders had family originating from Portland or if this was a popular port the colonists used to sail to America, but didn't find much history that made any real connection.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Welcome to Portland, England!

View attachment 339145

View attachment 339146

View attachment 339147

Today’s Navigator

All Ashore: 7:30 am / All Aboard: 5:30 pm
Attire: Cruise Casual
Show: Walt Disney: The Dream Goes On
Dinner Menu: Standard Rotational
Drink of the Day: High Tide / Non-Alcoholic: Virgin Lilikoi Mojito

Side 1

View attachment 339150

Side 2

View attachment 339157

Portland was a brand new port for Disney in 2017 – with our stop being only the 2nd time the Magic has ever docked here.

(Disney parks blog announcement)
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/04/admiring-natural-wonders-in-portland-england-with-disney-cruise-line/

(stock photo)

View attachment 339184

3 more visits are planned for 2018/2019:
  • September 9, 2018 – 11 nt. - WBTA Dover to NYC
  • July 14, 2019 – 7 nt. - Western European (repo) cruise Barcelona to Dover
  • September 15, 2019 – 10 nt. - WBTA Dover to NYC
Bringing the total to 5x in 3 years = very few Disney cruisers to date for this destination.

So it felt special to be here.

Portland is another industrial port. Which meant walking around was not permitted beyond the ship.

View attachment 339177

Complimentary double decker shuttle busses were lined up to take guests into the nearest town of Weymouth, with a drop off at Weymouth’s Oldest Harbour.

View attachment 339178

From the official port website:
http://www.portland-port.co.uk/cruise

“Portland Port lies in the heart of the Jurassic Coast, a world heritage site, renowned for its breath-taking beauty and its incredible historical heritage. Local attractions stretch from Stonehenge to Corfe Castle, with towns such as Bath, Salisbury, Dorchester and Weymouth in between. If you fancy the national dish, Fish and Chips, and a sunbathe on an award winning beach, then calling at Portland Port will provide that for you.

Be sure to keep your eyes on the quayside as you depart, Portland Port prides itself on providing you with the best memories of your cruise and tops it off with variety of acts and a 3 shot salute from the Nothe Fort Victorian Artillery Brigade.”

That “3 shot salute” was a highlight not to be missed as we sailed away.

View attachment 339181

Along with this mystery guest on hand to greet us as we arrived!

View attachment 339182

At first we thought he was the town crier – but now I'm not so sure as he doesn't seem to be carrying a bell.
Iron Man thinks it’s Ben Franklin.

Unfortunately we never got the chance to be introduced. So the mystery remains!

These personal welcomes from every UK port were so great and very well received.

All the more reason we loved cruising the British Isles.

We're doing the British Isles cruise as well as the WBTA in 2019, and I've learned so much through your amazing trip report!! Thank you so much for posting this stellar report- and I can't wait for the next installment!!

Last edited:
We're doing the British Isles cruise as well as the WBTA in 2019, and I've learned so much through your amazing trip report!! Thank you so much for posting this stellar report- and I can't wait for the next installment!!

Thanks so much! I can't believe how fast the BI and WBTA cruises are approaching. I honestly meant to get this done well before now, so the new plan is to post every 2 days to make up for all the lost time. This should easily get all the ports thru Greenock up to assist any and all future planners, especially the coveted b2b cruisers whom I envy so much. Shouldn't be too difficult since we're only talking 4 ports!

Omg. I remember how we felt when we were within 4 weeks of leaving. The suspense and anticipated excitement combined with all the loose ends to tie up prior to leaving.

You're going to love this trip.

Thanks so much! I can't believe how fast the BI and WBTA cruises are approaching. I honestly meant to get this done well before now, so the new plan is to post every 2 days to make up for all the lost time. This should easily get all the ports thru Greenock up to assist any and all future planners, especially the coveted b2b cruisers whom I envy so much. Shouldn't be too difficult since we're only talking 4 ports!

Omg. I remember how we felt when we were within 4 weeks of leaving. The suspense and anticipated excitement combined with all the loose ends to tie up prior to leaving.

You're going to love this trip.

I can't wait- but Bermuda comes first :D I haven't been to London in forever, but I'll have to re-familiarize myself with the Tube.. LOL. Trying to decide if the train to Dover would be better than a charter vehicle! Wish me luck.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Having just visited Stonehenge a few days earlier, we chose a different DCL excursion today:

(PT03) - Glastonbury Tor and the Cathedral City of Wells.

Price: $89.00 (ages 10 and up)
(increased to $99.00 in 2018)

Activity Level: Active
Duration: 7.5 to 8 Hours

Our day would be broken down as follows:

Drive each way approx. 2 hrs = 4 hrs round trip coach

with two main stops:

Glastonbury Tor
Cathedral City of Wells

And lunch on our own while visiting the City of Wells

We started the day with the usual questions:

What time to get up? 6:00 am
What time is the tour? 9:00 am

portland ticket1.jpg

Where is the meet-up? WALT DISNEY THEATRE DK 4 FWD

DSC00752.JPG

How long before we have to leave? 3 hrs

It was important to get a routine down, especially with a port intensive itinerary such as the British Isles.
3 hrs lead time became standard for us on mornings leaving the ship. This may seem a bit long to some, but we’re talking - start to finish.

So 6am alarm it is! (after setting the clocks back 1hr. from France). Then shower, check the weather, figure out what to wear, pack for the day, grab breakfast and head out.

Contrary to what was printed on the Navigator, rain was in the forecast on and off today, with temps ranging in the high 50’s/mid 60’s.

IMG_0704.JPG

This weather should be a good indicator for what to expect on a September BI cruise.

So here’s a sample of today's attire to assist with packing.

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00762.JPG

And again, we would add and subtract a few layers throughout the day.

Which brings me to:

Hurdle #5 - The DAY BAG

There’s no way around it. When you plan to be out all day / every day, you have to pack a few essentials.
And today would be no exception with another long (8 hr.) DCL excursion ahead.

What to bring? Was a constant question mark regarding daytrip packing.

Typical contents of our travel bag would look something like this:

an extra hoodie or shell
well made lightweight waterproof rain jackets
a small umbrella
extra camera
extra batteries (rechargeable & regular)
portable phone chargers
snacks and bottles of water

In the earlier part of this trip (like today), we had developed a bad habit of constantly carry on and off the bus everything we’d stuffed in this 1 full size backpack - to insure we were prepared for sudden changes in weather or in fear we might need something at our disposal.

It wasn’t that we overpacked, but multiply everything x 3 adults and this bag became quickly weighted down.

You can see it here on JQ as we enter Glastonbury Tor (today – Portland)

IMG_0786.1.JPG

Our backpack technique was not ideal. It was too big and too bulky. By the 3rd day nobody wanted to carry much around, so we started to keep it on the bus. (we were always assigned a bus for the day)

But there's a risk in doing this. We were caught off guard a few times with needing something too far away to retrieve.

Eventually, we wound up using a small tote and small purse while touring in addition to the backpack staying on the bus.

Solution: utilize a well functioning day bag

This Rick steves day travel segment has some fantastic ideas: (it’s a short video and well worth the time)

We should have done the same.

Btw DCL gave this gold castaway club stateroom gift when we arrived.

DSC02824.JPG

and many cruisers carried it.

But the sling feature has its disadvantages as well. One being that it doesn't always hang straight.

(as shown by a fellow cruiser mid-climb to the Tor)

IMG_0804.JPG

And as I’ve said before, we’d also bring around 200 cash in local currency

Mainly for convenience.

But today having a few British pounds in our pockets became a necessity for everyone on this excursion.

Apparently the tour company DCL contracted with did not pre-arrange transportation for our coach to the Tor from the town of Glastonbury. Instead, the whole group was required to pay £3.00 per person for a public transport shuttle to take us up to Glastonbury Tor.
(and no, you couldn’t walk there from the Glastonbury Abbey lot our bus parked in)

DSC00993.JPG

DSC00992.JPG

This caught everyone by surprise and caused a big problem for quite a few people who did not have any British currency on them.

Later, everything was rectified on the part of the tour company, and any fees paid were refunded - but that didn't change the situation at the time.

So heed my advice and always have some local cash on you.

Ok time to get on with our day!

Last edited:
I’m gonna chime in.... we went to see Stonehenge. Aka a pile of rocks stacked by aliens... this was on my bucket list and I was happy to see this attraction.... what was also pretty was the field of poppys nearby... pics below.

6C1047BF-966A-4563-BDA7-76458A85255B.jpeg

AC119AEF-1E07-4F9E-BCE1-5DCE239BD7EE.jpeg C774975E-F543-4C7C-940D-3BD3F3E7BD8E.jpeg

I can't wait- but Bermuda comes first :D I haven't been to London in forever, but I'll have to re-familiarize myself with the Tube.. LOL. Trying to decide if the train to Dover would be better than a charter vehicle! Wish me luck.

Wow. an Aug. Bermuda trip and 18 nights of cruising in early Sept. These are amazing travel plans. Have a great time!!
And good luck with your plans. Tough decision on how best to get to the port. I'm sure it will all work out no matter what you decide.

I’m gonna chime in.... we went to see Stonehenge. Aka a pile of rocks stacked by aliens... this was on my bucket list and I was happy to see this attraction.... what was also pretty was the field of poppys nearby... pics below.

Love it! Fantastic pictures. And what a great memory to share. Thanks so much for posting. Stonehenge is just incredible. Really glad we had the chance to visit.

They must have had some left over from last year because this same bag was the silver Castaway club stateroom gift we received this past May on our Baja California cruise.

Too funny. Seems the stateroom gifts are interchangeable these days. Did you receive the luggage tags with it?

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

DCL Excursion: (PT03) - Glastonbury Tor and the Cathedral City of Wells.

We had some extra time before leaving, so after hitting Cabanas, JQ and I ventured out on deck.

My version of a selfie.

IMG_0705.JPG

And ran into Iron Man trying to sneak in some cruise fun before another full day off the ship.

DSC00743.JPG

From time to time a question pops up on the DIS asking if the European cruises are too hectic.

All I can add is – it depends.

There’s definitely less time to relax if you plan to be out all day at every port. (like we did)
But this is not a requirement for Europe. There are excursions for every type of touring style.
And you can certainly balance a lot more R&R given a longer cruise.

So it’s a manageable tradeoff.

Besides. We’re cruising the British Isles!

What’s not to love.

DSC00746.1JPG.JPG

Time to check-in and hit the road.

We are tour bus 20 today

DSC00756.1JPG.JPG

and the only one headed to Glastonbury Tor.
(that's our young driver on the right)

DSC00771.JPG

DCL excursion (PT03) Glastonbury Tor and the Cathedral City of Wells

Per the DCL website:

A Hill of Intrigue

In addition to Wells Cathedral, you’ll visit the Tor, represented in mythology as a portal to the Otherworld.

On this adventure you will…

• Depart Portland by motorcoach, traveling 2 hours north through the green rolling farmland of Dorset and Somerset to the mystical Glastonbury Tor. One of the area's most famous landmarks, the tor is said to be a mysterious entrance to the Otherworld and also has connections to the legend of King Arthur.
  • The tor offers spectacular views over Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire, standing out from its surroundings.Walk 20 minutes up the hill to the tor and enjoy 360-degree panoramic views over the lovely acres of green marshlands.
  • Return to the motorcoach and travel a short distance to the city of Wells on the southern edge of the Mendip Hills. Wells is recognized as one of the smallest cities in England and takes its name from the wells located within the grounds of the Bishop's palace. These natural springs have been the cornerstone of the area's development since prehistoric times.
  • Wells is visually dominated by its stunning cathedral - famous for its magnificent west front with over 300 statues and carvings. Built between the 12th and 14th centuries, the structure is considered the finest national example of early English architecture. Enjoy a 45 minute guided tour of the Cathedral and 105 minutes of free time in this beautiful city.
  • Return to the motorcoach for a 100-minute scenic drive back to the pier.

The rolling farmlands of Dorset and Somerset were beautiful

DSC00864.JPG

And our guide kept us entertained with interesting facts and stories of the local orchards known for their award winning ciders.

Listen as he lends advice on the many ciders and drinking your way up to “Scrumpy”

His voice was fascinating and we held a close watch for any sighting of St. Michaels Tower and the Tor.

DSC00882.JPG

At 10:50 we arrived at the town of Glastonbury as we learned of the fate of the Abbott.

And were immediately drawn to the remains of Glastonbury Abbey as our coach pulled into St. Dunston’s car park.

DSC00897.JPG

King Arthur and the quest for the Holy Grail.

“Glastonbury Abbey is connected with legend to a degree that is unparalleled by any other abbey in England. Since Medieval times it has held legendary status as the earliest Christian foundation in Britain linked to Joseph of Arimathea and the burial place of King Arthur.”

Legend has it:

• King Arthur and Queen Guinevere were laid to rest in Glastonbury Abbey.
  • Joseph of Arimathea (who buried Christ’s body after the crucifixion) travelled to Britain with the Holy Grail and formed the first Christian Church of England in Glastonbury.
  • That the spring at Chalice Well flows from the Holy Grail believed to lie at the bottom buried beneath Glastonbury Tor.

To name a few…….

Of course with all this talk of Glastonbury myths and tales of Arthur and the Holy Grail
– who can resist this famous 1975 movie clip....

Classic. And only with a British Isles cruise!

Unfortunately our excursion did not include entrance to the Abbey or Chalice Well and we had no time to visit on our own.

But we did manage to check out the Abbey gift shop upon our return from the Tor

DSC01000.JPG

home to one of my favorite souvenirs this trip.
(sitting on the dresser)

IMG_0966.JPG

and even though AbbaFab wouldn't be performing on our cruise until we arrive in Glasgow

allow me to introduce:

the “Dancing Queen”

(nothing but joy the entire cruise)

The British Isles has it all!!

Continued in the next post

Last edited:
July 11, 2017

DCL Portland excursion (PT03): Glastonbury Tor and the Cathedral City of Wells

Tour stop #1 – Glastonbury Tor (11:00 am to 1:00 pm)

At 10:50 am our coach parked in St. Dunstan’s car park at Glastonbury Abbey.
Everyone was directed to use the facilities here since there are none at the Glastonbury Tor site.

DSC00899.JPG

The Tor is about 1.7 miles from this point. (although we didn’t know it)

We would be given 2 hrs. at this stop before moving on to the Cathedral City of Wells.

Yes, there is a Hill Challenge involved. hope we make it! :cool1:

DSC00925.JPG

But first, we had to get over to the site from the parking lot.

Now comes the fun part.

As I mentioned earlier, our trip would mark only the second time a Disney cruise ship has ever come to Portland.
So we were still in the “testing phase” so to speak, with respect to ironing out all the kinks for these excursions.

And we were about to hit a major kink this morning.

It began the moment this shuttle bus pulled up

DSC00904.JPG

“This is strange.”

Obviously not large enough to accommodate our entire full size coach.

DSC00893.JPG

So nobody knew what this was about.

Our guide announces the transport is here to take folks to the Tor for a £3.00 per person fee.
(exact fare - cash only – no US $)

This was the official Glastonbury Tor Community Bus (“Tor Bus”) and it was not just waiting for us.

It’s a public transport that operates seasonally with the following loop:

Glastonbury Abbey
Rural Life Museum
Chalice Well
The Tor

Per the official website: http://www.mendipcommunitytransport.co.uk/torbus.shtml

Glastonbury Tor Community Bus - Service 196 - Operating 1 April to 30 September only

Introduction

The Tor bus takes you quickly and easily up to Glastonbury Tor (NO PARKING IS AVAILABLE). The route operates from St. Dunstans Car Park by the Town Hall, along Magdalene Street, Bere Lane, Chilkwell Street, Coursing Batch, Ashwell Lane, and Basketfield Lane to the Tor. The return journey will be through the housing estate known as Windmill Hill where there will be a number of stops returning to St Dunstans Car Park via Glastonbury High Street.

Ticket Prices

Adult £3.00. Children to age 16, £1.50.
Family ticket (2 adults 2 children) £7.50.
Concessionary Travel Passes accepted.

If you wish you can take the bus to the Tor only and walk back down to the town centre on foot. This is a very pleasant descending walk via Bushy Combe and Dod Lane.

JQ and I immediately assume this shuttle is optional.

And the reason we think this, is because we are on an official DCL sponsored tour. Therefore, all transportation costs and entrance fees were supposed to be included in the excursion price.

No way would we be subject to a £3.00 cash fare for a shuttle without (at the very least) being informed of this well in advance by Disney.

So we don’t bother to get in line for the Tor Bus nor interact with our guide on the matter.

We conclude a walking path to the Tor must be nearby as well, and this is just a courtesy bus offering to drive anyone for £3 who prefers not to walk from this point.

Wrong.

We proceed to stand off to the side and watch the transport load up. But for some reason it doesn’t leave and remains parked in front of our group.
Again, not a concern since we falsely believe we’ll be trekking from here on foot.

We also notice a lot of cruisers in line at the bakery.

DSC00901.JPG

But we don’t think much of this either, figuring they must be getting something to go in prep for that 518 foot climb awaiting.

IMG_0833.JPG

Something like this perhaps?

DSC01003.JPG

Wrong again.

Turns out they were all trying to break US bills to get change in British coin for the mini-bus.

But JQ and I still aren’t fully grasping this whole scene.

Finally I ask our guide if we can start walking to the Tor and he says “no it’s too far away. You have to take the shuttle.”

PI: “Take the shuttle?”
Guide: Yes
PI: “And pay?”
Guide: Yes. Exact change only.

All of a sudden we’re in semi panic mode. We quickly get in line and start pulling out money.
Oddly, the bus is still sitting there but it looks full.

JQ: “When is the next shuttle?”
Guide: This is the only one. It loops every 30 minutes.

Every 30 minutes? Omg. We’ve only got 2hrs in Glastonbury to begin with and now we have a 30 min. shuttle rotation to contend with.

PI: “Why hasn’t it left yet?”
Guide: Seems the driver is waiting on a few more guests.

Turns out 3 seats were left.

JQ and I quickly inquire if we can take those single seats.

Apparently everyone remaining was trying to get British pounds at the bakery and we were the lucky 3 with exact change on hand to grab these coveted last seats.

An excellent example of why we choose to carry local currency when we travel.

Unbelievable.

We rode away leaving half the tour group behind.

DSC00905.JPG

One family was smart and hailed a cab from the parking lot, keeping the number to call for a ride back. They beat most of us both directions.
(there they go - leaving the Tor site ahead of us, as we wait for the return shuttle) Notice the rain?

IMG_0824.JPG

Later our guide returned all monies spent by everyone (including the cab fare) in cash and sincerely apologized for the inconvenience.

But unfortunately that didn’t help those that were seriously delayed having to wait for the 2nd shuttle only to have teaming rain set in inhibiting their safety with the climb and ability to fully enjoy the sights at the top of the Tor.

Between the weather conditions, the money and the logistics, this was a lot of stress to have to deal with unexpectedly for a DCL tour.

As I said, we had a few kinks to work out in Portland.

And since this venue is offered again in 2018, I’ll be curious to see how the WBTA cruisers fare next month.
If you did book this, take my advice and have exact change on you just in case.

I do highly recommend this excursion!

Time to hit the Tor.

Seriously though, I should have been intimidated the moment we got dropped off and I saw this.

DSC00926.JPG

Up next, the mysterious Glastonbury Tor meets the St. Michael's tower phenomenon.

Last edited:
Wow, what a fiasco. I think I would have “lost it”.

You would have had lots of company. We passed the 2nd group on their way up as we were leaving and they were pretty mad. It was a mess. I remember one woman looked at me visibly upset saying she was not happy about this whole thing and was not accepting it.

Our guide must have gotten an earful as they waited for the shuttle to circle back. He had to personally hit the bank to refund everyone. £3.00 per person to loop 3.4 miles wasn't cheap.

You would have had lots of company. We passed the 2nd group on their way up as we were leaving and they were pretty mad. It was a mess. I remember one woman looked at me visibly upset saying she was not happy about this whole thing and was not accepting it.

Our guide must have gotten an earful as they waited for the shuttle to circle back. He had to personally hit the bank to refund everyone. £3.00 per person to loop 3.4 miles wasn't cheap.
Wow-that is just insane! And he had to go and get his own money to refund everyone!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts