Disney Movies A-Z June Exercise Challenge

We went to a wedding in Indiana for four days and have no workouts to report from that time frame but we had lots of fun and saw a lot of family we hadn't seen in years.

Thursday 6/8 50 minutes of cardio
Tuesday 6/13 35 minutes of HIIT cardio and abs
Wednesday 6/14 55 minutes of cardio and upper body strength
Today 6/15 55 minute of cardio and abs

I need to get back on my yoga schedule.

395/1000

Congratulations to galaxygirl76 for achieving Exciting Orange and to scdak, me (sophy1996), and the team as a whole for achieving Indefatigable Purple!

For Throwback Thursday, let's rewind slightly to "L" to mention Luxo Jr. (1986), Pixar's first animation as an independent company. Inspired by John Lasseter's Luxo desk lamp (and the source of the hopping lamp in Pixar's logo), it premiered at the SIGGRAPH conference (a computer graphics conference) in 1986. The attendees recognized technical innovation, and before it was even finished, they were rising in applause. Luxo Jr. was the first CGI film nominated for an Academy Award.

You can watch Luxo Jr. on YouTube.

For "N," never say "never"?

Never Cry Wolf
(1983) stars Charles Martin Smith as a scientist who throws himself wholeheartedly into studying wolves in the Arctic. Never Cry Wolf is credited with leading to the establishment of the Touchstone label, which came about the next year, as the studio was experimenting with less family-friendly plots than traditionally were associated with Disney.

And Never a Dull Moment (1968) is a comedy crime film starring Dick Van Dyke as a second-rate actor who is mistaken for a killer and brought before a gangster (Edward G. Robinson) to play a part in a heist.

"O" brings us to O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000), a Coen brothers film set in 1937 Mississippi that is loosely based on Homer's Odyssey. Ulysses Everett McGill (George Clooney) persuades two other convicts (Tim Blake Nelson and John Turturro) to join him in escaping to reclaim a treasure before the area is flooded to make a lake.

One of the best parts of the film is the music. In their travels, the group (who by then includes a guitarist who sold his soul to the Devil) hears that a man will pay good money for them to "sing into a can." So the group visits a country recording studio and, as "The Soggy Bottom Boys," records "A Man of Constant Sorrow." Check it out on Youtube (if I embed it, some browsers show an error).

Congratulations snels for being the first team member to reach Obtainable Pink!

"P" has so many well-known films: Pete's Dragon (1997 and 2016), Peter Pan (1953), Pinocchio (1940), the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Pochahontas (1995), and Pollyanna (1960). "P" also features at least two movies about psychic powers: Phenomenon (1996), starring John Travolta as an ordinary man whose brain suddenly becomes extraordinary, and Powder (1995), starring Sean Patrick Flanery as a young man with of great intellect who also displays telepathic and paranormal powers.

Well, ladies, I had a hiatus. Was experiencing some knee pain so had to take a few days off to heal. Plus, had my sister's wedding and my son's birthday. Crazy week. But my knee is better and events are over and kids and I are planning a trip to the beach with my mom in September which is an extra boost of motivation so I'm getting back at it starting after work this afternoon and hope to update minutes again soon!!

Well, ladies, I had a hiatus. Was experiencing some knee pain so had to take a few days off to heal. Plus, had my sister's wedding and my son's birthday. Crazy week. But my knee is better and events are over and kids and I are planning a trip to the beach with my mom in September which is an extra boost of motivation so I'm getting back at it starting after work this afternoon and hope to update minutes again soon!!

Always better to be conservative and heal up. Glad you're feeling better!

Was anyone thinking that "Q" might present some problems? Well, I found two "Q" movies, both based on real-life events.

One is very recent -- Queen of Katwe (2016), starring David Oyelowo, Lupita Nyong'o, and Madina Nalwanga. It is based on the story of Phiona Mutesi, a Ugandan girl from Katwe, a slum of Kampala, who learns to play chess and becomes one of the first titled female chess players in Uganda's history.

The other is older -- Quiz Show (1994), starring John Turturro, Rob Morrow, and Ralph Fiennes, and produced and directed by Robert Redford. It is loosely based on the Twenty One quiz show scandal of the 1950s, in which the show was rigged for certain contestants. In the 1950s, apparently nothing prohibited fixing TV shows. But after the Twenty One scandal and a congressional investigation, Congress amended the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit the fixing of quiz shows. The networks cut way back on quiz shows, leaving room for the TV westerns of the 1960s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter