Disney parks history ... where to start?

Jays2013

DIS Veteran
I did do a search, but can't find quite the answer I'm looking for to this question.

While reading a ton of blogs to prepare for our upcoming, long-awaited trip back to WDW, DH and I have developed a real fascination with the history of the parks, and the early Imagineering. We'd like to start doing some more reading on the subject.

There are so many books out there. Can anyone recommend one or two to get started? With specifically a focus on the early development of Disneyland, Walt Disney Worlds and those early classic Imagineers.

Thank you so much. :)

While there are a number of books available with information about the imagineers, Charles Ridgeway (one of the Disney "Legends") has a great book chronicling his four decades of service as publicist for Walt Disney, Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Charles was a guest speaker on one of the DIS Podcast Cruises.

His book is "Spinning Disney's World" - Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent - published by The Intrepid Traveler ( www.intrepidtraveler.com ).

This might be a good starting place from someone who has been an integral part of Disney history for many years.

Enjoy! :)

A book I've been trying to find, but the library system in my area does not carry, is Project Future. I believe it is by Chad Denver Emerson. Supposed to be about the planning of WDW.

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination is a very good biography of Walt himself, and has much of the backstory/planning of not only Disneyland, the original studio, the original imagineers, but also many of the movies, and some of the planning for WDW too. It's pretty long (912 pages hardcover), but well worth it if you are interested in the entire story. I loved this book, and it really didn't drag at all. It was a 'fast read' for how long it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter