Disney... Party of Three! - Rescheduled Date TBD (New 9/21 - New PTR Link)

To say I'm excited may be the UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR.
You're excited, you say?

I was starting to wonder. You seemed a little bit less than ecstatic about all of it. :rolleyes1 :lmao:

I'm glad that everything came together and worked out for you in the end. I've always been a little bit gun shy about the point rental business.

Obviously, I’m leaning toward the Poly… but goodness, the price!
[/QUOTE]
Fast forward a week and I had another email from David’s in my inbox. They notified me that the 7-month mark had arrived, but unfortunately they STILL didn’t have available points to book our stay.

:confused:
THE POLYNESIAN VILLAS AND BUNGALOWS!!!

I'm way too late to make all the comments I was going to, but Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! We love the Poly! It's our second DVC home but it's a very small contract and we can only stay every couple years.

Crazy about all the renting points drama, but I'm so happy it all worked out for you!

Oh see I don't have any credit cards so I'd only pay in cash! Thanks for that information.

I know the DVC Rental Store has an ACH option so you can pay directly from your checking account (and perhaps they have a debit card option, too?). David's site has multiple FAQ lists so I'm sure you'd be able to check out your options there, too! :thumbsup2

I've tried multiple trip dates/resorts/ both DVC rental companies that you worked with, but our dates are all booked! But we are planning on going in July for our anniversary, so I'm going to be putting requests in again very soon!

That's a bummer! That makes me feel even better that we lucked out with the resort we wanted!

Have you checked out the DVC Availability Tool? I don't know if I'm allowed to link it here as it's to another site, but if you Google it I'm sure you can find it. From what I read on the Touring Plans website it's a fairly accurate listing of availability for DVC - it may help you narrow down your resort options or tweak your dates before putting in requests!

You're excited, you say?

I was starting to wonder. You seemed a little bit less than ecstatic about all of it. :rolleyes1 :lmao:

:rotfl2:

You know me. I'm always so subtle and subdued. ;)

I'm glad that everything came together and worked out for you in the end. I've always been a little bit gun shy about the point rental business.

Thanks! I wasn't so sure it would, but I'm thrilled (and relieved) that it all worked out. As long as you're willing to deal with a little uncertainty and stress the points rental isn't too bad. The actual booking/paying/linking process was very easy once the reservation was secured.

I'm way too late to make all the comments I was going to, but Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! We love the Poly! It's our second DVC home but it's a very small contract and we can only stay every couple years.

Thank you! I'm super excited about my first stay at the Poly - I think it will be a very magical place for our first family trip!

Crazy about all the renting points drama, but I'm so happy it all worked out for you!

I wasn't anticipating any drama (and really, it wasn't so bad!), but it gives me much clearer expectations if I ever choose to rent points again. The stress was worth it for the savings! (More money for food! Hooray! :goodvibes )

Congratulations on the Poly!!!
Wow, that's going to be an amazing stay. With toddlers, you can't beat the proximity to the MK. And I'm sure your DH will be blown away. Since this trip is about impressing him and getting him bit by the Disney bug, the Poly will surely help with that! I mean, fireworks from the beach, a monorail you can just roll a stroller onto, tropical food around every turn. You guys are definitely going to have an amazing trip. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for sharing your process for renting DVC points. I've never done this and wouldn't have any idea where to start. Your explanation made a lot of sense and definitely cleared up my confusion. I really appreciate the clarity!

Hi! Following along.

Congratulations!! We rented points for our first few Disney trips. I remember how excited I was when we got a "match".

Be warned though - we loved staying in DVC rooms so much that we ended up joining DVC ourselves this past year...so I don't know how much money renting saved in the end :laughing: We bought in at Poly actually, and I can't wait for our trip there in March for all of the reasons you listed!!

Congratulations on the Poly stay!! Booking the resort gives me a great warm fuzzy feeling and makes the trip feel REAL!

Congratulations on the Poly!!!
Wow, that's going to be an amazing stay. With toddlers, you can't beat the proximity to the MK. And I'm sure your DH will be blown away. Since this trip is about impressing him and getting him bit by the Disney bug, the Poly will surely help with that! I mean, fireworks from the beach, a monorail you can just roll a stroller onto, tropical food around every turn. You guys are definitely going to have an amazing trip. :goodvibes

Thank you so much! I'm hoping for all of the above! :goodvibes

It will really be amazing to be surrounded by so many awesome things and have the monorail transportation to two parks. HEA is the one nighttime event I really want to see - if a late evening doesn't quite work out at least I can watch them from the beach! (It's certainly not the same, but it's better than nothing!) It should be a great place for our first family trip - and I can hardly believe it's true that we're actually staying there!

Thank you so much for sharing your process for renting DVC points. I've never done this and wouldn't have any idea where to start. Your explanation made a lot of sense and definitely cleared up my confusion. I really appreciate the clarity!

You're so welcome! Hopefully it helps someone understand the general experience and encourages them that point rental is not so bad, even if not as straightforward as the website reviews make it seem. I had no idea about the back and forth that could potentially be involved - I thought you just put in your request and if there was availability... boom! Request fulfilled! :laughing:

Other than me being paranoid that I'd miss an important email, the stress wasn't too bad. I would definitely consider renting points again for the amazing savings! Without major savings there's no way I would stay at one of the deluxe resorts!

Hi! Following along.

:welcome: Thanks so much for joining in!

Congratulations!! We rented points for our first few Disney trips. I remember how excited I was when we got a "match".

Thank you! It was VERY exciting! I didn't know it would be such a process, but having come through successfully I would absolutely do it again!

Be warned though - we loved staying in DVC rooms so much that we ended up joining DVC ourselves this past year...so I don't know how much money renting saved in the end :laughing: We bought in at Poly actually, and I can't wait for our trip there in March for all of the reasons you listed!!

:rotfl:

Thankfully I have a very cost-conscious husband that will keep us in line. If the bug bites him, though... who knows?!

Congratulations on the Poly stay!! Booking the resort gives me a great warm fuzzy feeling and makes the trip feel REAL!

Thank you so much! I completely agree - it definitely makes the trip feel more real! It's pretty exciting when you have actual plans that show up in MDE. :goodvibes

I can't wait for the additional milestones of purchasing airfare and making dining reservations, both of which will be in the next month!

Congrats on the Poly! I need to keep in mind the DVC Store for future bookings. We like to travel with our extended family and Rack Rates are sooo high!

HI! I just found this and I am so happy for you! How exciting to be taking your sweet daughter to Disney for the first time, yay! If Hubby isn’t to enamored with it, you are getting your daughter acclimated to Mother/daughter trips!

We love the Poly! I have rented on here at least 5 times and always works well. We rented for our January trip. We are trying OKW for the first time.

It is nice to plan ahead like you are doing, it makes putting away the money for everything $$$$ a little easier!

I always watch the DVC rental store specials, they advertise canceled reservations and sell for a nice discount. I haven’t used it but good to check out, especially for a spontaneous trip.

I buy discounted Disney gift cards at BJ’s and Target for upcoming trips and this saves a little money as well.

That's a bummer! That makes me feel even better that we lucked out with the resort we wanted!

Have you checked out the DVC Availability Tool? I don't know if I'm allowed to link it here as it's to another site, but if you Google it I'm sure you can find it. From what I read on the Touring Plans website it's a fairly accurate listing of availability for DVC - it may help you narrow down your resort options or tweak your dates before putting in requests!

I did try the availability tool with no luck. But we have APs, so I'm sure we will find availability for a trip later next year!!

Congrats on the Poly! I need to keep in mind the DVC Store for future bookings. We like to travel with our extended family and Rack Rates are sooo high!

Thank you, Cindi! We're very excited about it! :goodvibes

I'd not even heard about the DVC Rental Store until recently, but I was pretty confident to use it with the endorsement of the Unofficial Guide and their site. I would absolutely use them again. (And I completely agree about the rates! Yikes! :scared: )

HI! I just found this and I am so happy for you! How exciting to be taking your sweet daughter to Disney for the first time, yay! If Hubby isn’t to enamored with it, you are getting your daughter acclimated to Mother/daughter trips!

:welcome: Caroline! Thanks so much for joining in!

I am so darn excited about introducing M to Disney World! You make a good point that we can start a mother/daughter trip trend if she's as enamored with Disney as I'm hoping she'll be... but then my husband may feel sad about missing out! We'll get him there one way or another! :laughing:

We love the Poly! I have rented on here at least 5 times and always works well. We rented for our January trip. We are trying OKW for the first time.

I've loved visiting there for dining reservations so I'm SUPER excited to actually stay there! I was pleased how easy it was to rent points (once we got through the stress of finding someone who would book us!).

It is nice to plan ahead like you are doing, it makes putting away the money for everything $$$$ a little easier!

That is certainly true! I'm a planner by nature so being prepared makes me feel better!

I always watch the DVC rental store specials, they advertise canceled reservations and sell for a nice discount. I haven’t used it but good to check out, especially for a spontaneous trip.

Others have mentioned this as well... it's really good to know! Spontaneous trips are hard due to my husband's job, but we could always swap out our resort if a good deal comes up!

I buy discounted Disney gift cards at BJ’s and Target for upcoming trips and this saves a little money as well.

I LOVE the trick of discounted gift cards from Target! I've paid for dining expenses with gift cards and Disney Reward points on my last two trips - it's a great way to "pre-pay" without being within the restraints of a dining plan! I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of the Red Card savings at Target. :goodvibes

I did try the availability tool with no luck. But we have APs, so I'm sure we will find availability for a trip later next year!!

That's too bad! I will cross my fingers that you'll have better luck on your next trip! :goodvibes

Airfare (Partially) Booked!
a.k.a. What’s with these *!?@*& Airfare Prices?!

I swear the theme of this trip is “When did everything get so expensive?!” :rotfl:

Today was the Southwest Airlines release date for our travel dates. I love flying on Southwest due to their customer service, free checked bags, and the ease I’ve always had traveling with them. Southwest only has a few flights into and out of our airport, but I’m willing to be flexible on our flight times as I like the airline so much. I also usually tend to find cheaper flights on Southwest than other airlines.

Usually. :rolleyes:

This trip? The segments that would’ve made up our round trip itinerary would come in around $700. Each. With a lackluster (read: early) return time for our flight home. :headache:

Good grief. :sad2:

I knew flight prices have been crazier than usual – we paid just under $600 per person to fly to Pensacola this fall. I assumed we had to pay a bit more as we were flying into a smaller regional airport and flight prices tend to be higher at smaller airports. I never imagined the prices to fly into an airport as massive as Orlando would be MORE!

I’d done some preliminary research about the flights on other airlines before this morning but did another round of it today now that I knew the Southwest flight schedule. It appeared we would pay about the same on any airline on the way there with an early arrival time, but I could find better deals on our return flight on other airlines with better return times. I’d much rather fly back at noon or four in the afternoon on our way home in order to give us a more relaxed morning (and more Disney time!).

However, it made me nervous to wait too long on our ideal outgoing Southwest flight. I worried the flight would either become fully booked for the lowest fare rate or that rate class would rise in price if I didn’t jump on it.

Therefore, I booked our departure flights!

I’m thrilled to take another Southwest flight to Orlando! We have a short layover, but it’s a smaller airport and I’ve gotten a Southwest connection there on past trips so I’m not concerned. The best part is we’ll arrive in Orlando before noon! :woohoo:

I know our room may not be ready when we arrive at the Polynesian (and perhaps this is even less likely with our DVC stay), but it will be nice to arrive at Disney with plenty of time for M to have an afternoon nap. She naps pretty well in our stroller and we’ll have that with us, so we’ll make something work. I much prefer having an early flight than getting stuck without an afternoon nap!

I can’t believe we’re halfway there on booking flights! I’ll likely book the other segment in a day or two once I speak with G about which flight times he’d prefer. Having the whole thing booked will be great!

I swear the theme of this trip is “When did everything get so expensive?!” :rotfl:
Oh, Lord... it's gone crazy, hasn't it?
My income has increased over the years... you know... anywhere from 0-3%/year.
Everything else has increased 3-10%/year.
Therefore, I booked our departure flights!
Yay!
We have a short layover, but it’s a smaller airport and I’ve gotten a Southwest connection there on past trips so I’m not concerned.
Short connection time in small airport = good, in large airport = bad, connecting to another country = sorry you missed your flight.

Booking flights can be so stressful! Glad you got your departure flights booked and will get there at a decent timr!

I completely agree! The flight prices seem to change so randomly that it's hard to figure out when to go ahead and book your tickets! I'm very pleased at our early arrival time - hopefully our early wakeup won't come back to bite us too much later in the day!

Oh, Lord... it's gone crazy, hasn't it?
My income has increased over the years... you know... anywhere from 0-3%/year.
Everything else has increased 3-10%/year.

It absolutely has! I used to be able to buy airline tickets to Orlando for about $300 roundtrip - now that seems to be the price of a single segment! It's crazy!

(Not to mention the rising Disney costs for resorts, park tickets, meals...) :scared:

I was so pleased to book that outgoing flight! I've taken it to Disney twice before and it's always been great!

Short connection time in small airport = good, in large airport = bad, connecting to another country = sorry you missed your flight.

Yes, you would definitely know! :sad2: Thankfully we won't have to worry about customs, so that takes that concern out of the way. As long as there's not a freak snowstorm (pretty unlikely in mid-May, but it's happened in early May before!) or some other weather-related issue, we should be fine!

Departure Flight is Booked!
a.k.a. Thank Goodness!

In a much less stressful scenario, we booked our departing flights last night. I was pleased that the potential flights I’d looked at in the morning actually dropped in price by $40 per person by the time we looked at them last night. Hooray! :woohoo:

In a perfect world I would’ve picked the departure flight that leaves after 4:00 in the afternoon in order to allow one last morning of park time. My more practical husband picked the flight that leaves a little after noon and puts us home around 5:00. Yes, he probably made the wiser choice given the fact we have a toddler and will have had seven whole days in the parks… but it’s hard to give up some additional Disney time! The good news is even with the absurdly early pickup with Magical Express we should have plenty of time for one last Disney breakfast (Kona? A character meal?) before departing. I’ll take it!

(I suppose I should leave out that the original Southwest departure flight I saw yesterday morning dropped in price by nearly TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS by this morning… but, I included this fun factoid for fully transparent trip reporting. The departing flights we booked leave two and a half hours later which I’m happy about, but are two and a half hours worth $600? Probably not, but there’s nothing I can do about it now, so… :rolleyes: )

Since our flights are booked that meant I could also forward our flight information to reserve the Magical Express. I know many people that prefer taking Uber or Lyft to Disney for faster service, but I love taking the Magical Express to kick off a Disney trip and I REALLY love the Magical Express luggage delivery. Not having to pick up your bags and lug them to your room is indeed magical! :cloud9:

With our DVC reservation all I needed to do is fill out a form on the DVC Rental Store website with our reservation and flight information to book the Magical Express. Our travel advisor will send the information along to the DVC member that made the reservation and we’ll be all set! It took just a few minutes and was sure a lot easier than needing to call Disney and wait on hold for thirty minutes to add the request.*

*Yes, I realize there’s probably some nifty request form on the Disney site or app now – but the last time I used the Magical Express I needed to call. It was great to have such an easy process this time! :thumbsup2

With our resort booked and flights purchased, we’re really knocking some of the big “to-dos” out of the way! The next looming round of decisions is where to eat… we have only twenty days until ADR day (one of my favorite Disney planning days!).

:jumping1:

Thanks for sticking around for these less-than-exciting travel posts… the upcoming ADR planning post and a brief review of our recent Florida (non-Disney) trip will be much more fun. (And have a lot more pictures!)

I was pleased that the potential flights I’d looked at in the morning actually dropped in price by $40 per person by the time we looked at them last night. Hooray! :woohoo:
Nice!
(I suppose I should leave out that the original Southwest departure flight I saw yesterday morning dropped in price by nearly TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS by this morning… but, I included this fun factoid for fully transparent trip reporting. The departing flights we booked leave two and a half hours later which I’m happy about, but are two and a half hours worth $600? Probably not, but there’s nothing I can do about it now, so… :rolleyes: )
Well... you still save $40/person.
I know many people that prefer taking Uber or Lyft to Disney for faster service, but I love taking the Magical Express to kick off a Disney trip and I REALLY love the Magical Express luggage delivery.
Me too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter