Disney Plane Delayed, Late To Iraq

seashoreCM

All around nice guy.
Anyone have anecdotal evidence as to whether the military is understanding versus rigid when orders are missed due to a flight cancallation?

Family enjoyed a fabulous magical Disney vacation staying at Shades of Green. Arriving at Orlando airport they see their homebound flight cancelled because of a blizzard in New York, let's say Long Island is where they live. DH calls his commander saying he will be late reporting back to duty after R&R (not the coaster). Sure enough the next plane for Kennedy/Laguardia airport the family can get on is a day or so later and DH misses the transport or troopship.

Court martial? Or ship out on the next transport with no unusual action?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Question 2. Same as above but it was discovered that DH could have paid $1,200 for a ticket on another airline that would have returned him punctually but he chose instead to use his original ticket.

I saw on the news that flights were cancelled around here in PA due to weather and there were a few soldiers scheduled on those flights. The news said they weren't in trouble. I hope your soldier isn't in trouble either.

Why would any legitimate government persecute soldiers who have legitimate excuses for late reporting? Would they have compensated him for extra flight expense? (No.)

No, better not get me started on this topic. Good night.

Yeah, I know this is an old post, but wanted to reply anyway ;).

I really think it depends on the branch of the military and the individual command. Just from what I've witnessed, the Air Force and Navy seem much more understanding than the Army and Marine Corps in cases such as this.

Jamesbyr, unfortunately, yes, it can and does happen. Whether it's right or not, you have to understand it from others' viewpoints as well. Someone not reporting on time can cause logistic nightmares anywhere, but especially in a hazard zone. There could be a soldier waiting to outprocess who can't do so because of the other soldier not being there to take his place (imagine the disappointment and heartbreak of a family member expecting their soldier home, only to find out Daddy won't be home when expected. It happens a lot, which is why most of us avoid the kiddos getting too excited ahead of time about Daddy getting home on X day). Also, remember that our soldiers receive 30 days of paid leave every year, which is extremely generous in my opinion, and vacations, even last-minute vacations, can be scheduled to ensure that the military member has plenty of time to return home.

Right before DH left, we scheduled a last minute Disney trip. Hubby spoke with his command and was able to change his RNLTD to allow for something like this.

My question is... if the airports were closed due to weather, how could he have returned via a different airline?

I'm curious to find out how this ended up! Hugs to your family - sending some "may the days pass quickly!" vibes :).

:confused3 My husband's command would have NEVER allowed him to take a vacation that close to deployment anyway. I believe he's not allowed to leave the county within two weeks of deployment.

katerkat, it wasn't a deployment, he was home for R & R, although it wasn't his fault that the plane was delayed and I seriously doubt anything like a court martial would happen, I'm sure he got a pretty good tongue lashing and more than likely some extra duty....I know that when you only get to see your hubby 30 days in a two year period, you want to squeeze every second out of it, even so, you should allow about 3 days for travel esp. when one of those days will be spent on a plane, it sucks to have to lose the 2 other days, but it sucks worse when they get in trouble...jmo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter