Disney pulling all content from Netflix, launching own streaming service

I think the big variable here that we aren't really discussing (but will I'm sure) is just how little these stations have in terms of value to mass audiences. Cable started at $20 a month and was heavily advertiser supported...that's where a lot of the money was made like network.

But advertising on the medium is gone...I'd be willing to bet I watch less than 1 hour per year total of commercials...becuse modern media has trained me not to...I don't have to so I don't.

So now you have to physically pay for the content and fork over money for your specific shows. For decades people have clamored for a la carte cable but both the cable providers and the content providers always warned "be careful what you wish for..."

I dont think they were bluffing. Stations are gonna fail left to right when this start to unravel. And both espn and the disney channels are
Very vulnerable to that. The fact is they just aren't any good...most tv isn't. I think that explains the popularity of more experimental outlets like hbo and showtime...some of the things we see on the "lower" cable stations...

Just as early cable was all wholesome/sugarcoated...the last 15 years has rendered tv DUMB. Cheap reality tv nonsense that was designed specifically to cater to the moronic and to SAVE costs.

This has been coming forever. It was easily predictable. That's why I reject:
what was disney supposed to do?

This is like the Kodak mistake or some of the ones apple made when they were too comfy living as the big dog but not paying attention to the landscape shifting...

You cannot stop innovating/adapting ever. Sorry, disney...you failed here. Much to follow.

I think they're gonna be shocked at just how little people are willing to pay for their content. We've been trained otherwise.

I 100% agree...spin the whole thing off or sell it, and get out of tv and focus on content, merchandise, and parks, the areas you are actually amazing at...

Parks, Merchandise and Movies. I cant think of a single Studio or IP purchase that has been bad. All of their pain has come from TV.

I still think Disney's play is to just unload ESPN. Heck, I think they should unload ABC and get out of the television ownership business all together. Take your beating and move on.

I think they'd love too but honestly it isn't worth anything.

Any potential buyer sees it collapsing and knows that it was really a product or cable/satellite packages. That's how it made what it did. As a stand alone it won't work...awful product that's in debt up to its eyeballs to what frankly is a niche sport.

Parks, Merchandise and Movies. I cant think of a single Studio or IP purchase that has been bad. All of their pain has come from TV.

I mostly agree...except their merchandising is pretty bad these days and contributed suprisingly little to the till...

They really do have the worst quality merchandise and that was a path they went down 20+ years ago...

And literally all their current pain is from tv and past mistakes in parks...all of it.

The only other nitpick is that they don't show any commitment to capitalize on interactive...

You have Star Wars and marvel...you're telling me there's a valid reason why you can't produce decent video games or web products based on them?

It's that hard? No...they just want it all for free...not spending money to make product. That's clueless imho.

I think the big variable here that we aren't really discussing (but will I'm sure) is just how little these stations have in terms of value to mass audiences. Cable started at $20 a month and was heavily advertiser supported...that's where a lot of the money was made like network.

But advertising on the medium is gone...I'd be willing to bet I watch less than 1 hour per year total of commercials...becuse modern media has trained me not to...I don't have to so I don't.

So now you have to physically pay for the content and fork over money for your specific shows. For decades people have clamored for a la carte cable but both the cable providers and the content providers always warned "be careful what you wish for..."

I dont think they were bluffing. Stations are gonna fail left to right when this start to unravel. And both espn and the disney channels are
Very vulnerable to that. The fact is they just aren't any good...most tv isn't. I think that explains the popularity of more experimental outlets like hbo and showtime...some of the things we see on the "lower" cable stations...

Just as early cable was all wholesome/sugarcoated...the last 15 years has rendered tv DUMB. Cheap reality tv nonsense that was designed specifically to cater to the moronic and to SAVE costs.

This has been coming forever. It was easily predictable. That's why I reject:
what was disney supposed to do?

This is like the Kodak mistake or some of the ones apple made when they were too comfy living as the big dog but not paying attention to the landscape shifting...

You cannot stop innovating/adapting ever. Sorry, disney...you failed here. Much to follow.

I think they're gonna be shocked at just how little people are willing to pay for their content. We've been trained otherwise.

You're exactly right. And how ESPN thought they would sell enough commercials to cover the NBA contract is beyond me.

I'm a college football fan. The CBS 2:30 game is nothing but commercials. A series of football, commercial, punt, commercials, new series. We call it the Commercial Broadcasting Station. Blah

I'm a college football fan. The CBS 2:30 game is nothing but commercials. A series of football, commercial, punt, commercials, new series. We call it the Commercial Broadcasting Station. Blah

Any games I watch...except for NHL.tv and mlb.tv (hint...straight from the source...no middle man like disney/espn...hint)...i watch on dvr delay...i Just can't stomach the commercials. One of the reasons I can really listen to radio stations anymore (it's 2017...I don't need to hear who's trying to sell dodges, thanks...) is because commercials are completely antiquated.

So in the case of football...it's DVR city

And since the talent pool for football is just now really starting to take a hit because it's clearly completely unhealthy to play...that is gonna lose appeal soon.

Spread in college is unwatchable...the minute proset disappears, I'm done with college. I don't need urban Meyer issue crap.

You're exactly right. And how ESPN thought they would sell enough commercials to cover the NBA contract is beyond me.

There's another issue - which was 100% predictable as well - at work.

You know what companies are in serious decline? Sporting goods, brand apparel and soft drinks...

Specifically Nike and under armour...they are getting trounced.

People drinking more or less Gatorade and coke these days?

1+1=2

Any games I watch...except for NHL.tv and mlb.tv (hint...straight from the source...no middle man like disney/espn...hint)...i watch on eve delay...i Just can't stomach the commercials. One of the reasons I can really listen to radio stations anymore (it's 2017...I don't need to hear who's trying to sell dodges, thanks...) is because commercials are completely antiquated.

So in the case of football...it's DVR city

And since the talent pool for football is just now really starting to take a hit because it's clearly completely unhealthy to play...that is gonna lose appeal soon.

Spread in college is unwatchable...the minute proset disappears, I'm done with college. I don't need urban Meyer issue crap.
Where I disagree is that the NFL talent pool will take a hit. The unfortunate reality is people will do whatever they need to in a lot of cases to escape the socioeconomic condition they're in. So while those with more money will be less apt to want to play the game because of the risk, I think those who are trying to get out of their environment and make a name for themselves will always risk their future for the game

Where I disagree is that the NFL talent pool will take a hit. The unfortunate reality is people will do whatever they need to in a lot of cases to escape the socioeconomic condition they're in. So while those with more money will be less apt to want to play the game because of the risk, I think those who are trying to get out of their environment and make a name for themselves will always risk their future for the game

No...this is boxing 2.0

Where do people want to play sports/elevate themselves?

Where do you have the live to have the money to spend/follow/support these sports?

The burbs and the backwaters/inner cities have never gotten along...

When the mannings of the world stop playing football in college/pros...the game will lose interest from the mover and shaker demographics.

Exaclty like boxing did.

We've changed as a society...but I'm quite sure we haven't evolved. If anything...those chasms seem to be getting deeper. Just turn on the tv

No...this is boxing 2.0

Where do people want to play sports/elevate themselves?

Where do you have the live to have the money to spend/follow/support these sports?

The burbs and the backwaters/inner cities have never gotten along...

When the mannings of the world stop playing football in college/pros...the game will lose interest from the mover and shaker demographics.

Exaclty like boxing did.

We've changed as a society...but I'm quite sure we haven't evolved. If anything...those chasms seem to be getting deeper. Just turn on the tv
I think people enjoy watching what's basically our version of a gladiator sport and I think people enjoy the benefits they can reap from it.

I think ultimately people who play the most punishing positions (lineman, linebackers, running backs) are gonna retire earlier than they had before. I'm also curious if there's any way for technology to keep players safer and make the head issues less severe. (It's never gonna go away. You're basically getting in a small car crash every time you hit someone on the line. The question is more of it can be controlled)

What I'll concede is that athletes could choose to play less dangerous sports. For example someone like randy moss who was an incredible basketball player as well could choose that sport over football (especially since NBA salaries are absurd at the moment). We're not gonna know that impact for in my estimation 7-10 years

What I'll concede is that athletes could choose to play less dangerous sports. For example someone like randy moss who was an incredible basketball player as well could choose that sport over football (especially since NBA salaries are absurd at the moment). We're not gonna know that impact for in my estimation 7-10 years

I don't disagree that it will take time...but the die is cast.

Such a potential, but....paying for yet another subscription service.....hmmmm

There's ways they could make me consider:

1. What else are you throwing in?
2. How low the price vs. value
3. Are the classic movies mainstays on there?
4. Is it like Apple Music where EVERYTHING I want is on there? So it saves me $?

From that article:

"Disney will bring its content to where children are going. According to Ofcom, time spent on traditional television among children ages 5 to 15 decreased 8.1% between 2015 and 2016, while time online increased 9.5%. In the 2 to 11 age group, time spent watching live television decreased by two hours per child from 2015 to 2016, according to Nielsen. By 2019, 74% of children under 11 are expected to consume digital video, according to research firm EMarketer. In 2013, that number was 68%."

I think Disney is making a fatal mistake in their interpretation of that data. Yes, kids are shifting from live television to digital video. But many of the kids I know age 17 and under watch YouTube almost exclusively. For free.

From that article:

"Disney will bring its content to where children are going. According to Ofcom, time spent on traditional television among children ages 5 to 15 decreased 8.1% between 2015 and 2016, while time online increased 9.5%. In the 2 to 11 age group, time spent watching live television decreased by two hours per child from 2015 to 2016, according to Nielsen. By 2019, 74% of children under 11 are expected to consume digital video, according to research firm EMarketer. In 2013, that number was 68%."

I think Disney is making a fatal mistake in their interpretation of that data. Yes, kids are shifting from live television to digital video. But many of the kids I know age 17 and under watch YouTube almost exclusively. For free.

All 4 of mine live on Youtube...and then on Netflix/Amazon...I have cable and they have almost completely stopped watching it, save for some Spongebob and some evening over-the-air programs (the oldest)...if I lost everything but Youtube, they'd be fine...I would be sad, but I'd be the only one at this point...

It took me one full week this summer to find out when my cable company fixed my phone, they deleted all my HD channels on my cable...yes, somehow 6 people went one week and watched nothing from cable tv...now, I was streaming Luke Cage once a day (see, I'm still a Disney supers sucker:) and everyone else was doing what I mentioned above...

So many questions... The Disney vault? the Marvel TV universe? Old films vs new? Marvel and Star Wars as independent streaming services? Will that work like Netflix where some films are replaced by others every now and then? Original content?

In a way the idea sounds interesting, but at the same time I'm not fully convinced. As I said in the news thread, if I'm expected to pay for yet another streaming service, it better be worth it.

I think people enjoy watching what's basically our version of a gladiator sport and I think people enjoy the benefits they can reap from it.

I think ultimately people who play the most punishing positions (lineman, linebackers, running backs) are gonna retire earlier than they had before. I'm also curious if there's any way for technology to keep players safer and make the head issues less severe. (It's never gonna go away. You're basically getting in a small car crash every time you hit someone on the line. The question is more of it can be controlled)
In part, The technology would be soft padding, on the outside of the helmet and possibly shoulder pads. Remove the advantage of launching a jarring hit against another player, and the hits would decline.

Forgot which board I was on.

As far as the Disney Movies on something other than Netfix. I hope that it is available to those of us in areas where we can't get cable and sattilite is limited. Not that I have netflix to watch them now but I do want to have an option

It is not at all surprising they are moving this way. I think they had even mentioned it in previous D23 events as a vision for the future.

ESPN is definitely in a position where they need a shot in the arm. I'm not totally sure it's own streaming service is the answer. The company has made bad decision after bad decision. They may want to fix this first.

A separate Disney streaming service can make sense if done right. The vault has a ton of wonderful content not seen in years. Making this available to the public could be very beneficial financially. As for pricing, I would think the sweet spot would be in the $9.99 range.

It will be at least $12.99-$14.99, if it's $9.99 there is no way they would have anything more than a few the straight to DVD movies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter