Disney Resorts Switching to Paperless Registration?

IronFozzie

Mouseketeer
A friend of mine sent me an image tonight of a new credit card reader at the front desk of animal kingdom lodge. It has replaced the old mickey mouse touch to pay devices and has a large screen like the credit card reader you'd see at Publix, with a stylus pen to sign with. It would appear that Disney is looking to go even more green and completely eliminate paper registration cards at their hotels and instead have them be digital. I know Disney has been getting away from printing parking passes for vehicles for some time now, so this feels like a natural progression. I read on another site a rumor that the company who supplied the old devices went out of business and it is costing too much to maintain them.

A friend of mine sent me an image tonight of a new credit card reader at the front desk of animal kingdom lodge. It has replaced the old mickey mouse touch to pay devices and has a large screen like the credit card reader you'd see at Publix, with a stylus pen to sign with. It would appear that Disney is looking to go even more green and completely eliminate paper registration cards at their hotels and instead have them be digital. I know Disney has been getting away from printing parking passes for vehicles for some time now, so this feels like a natural progression. I read on another site a rumor that the company who supplied the old devices went out of business and it is costing too much to maintain them.
I'm confused on the digital registration cards you are talking about?

As for the credit card readers/scanners yes they are moving to the model you saw a picture of.

When you check in to a hotel you traditionally sign a piece of paper stating you won't smoke in the room, you aren't traveling with pets, you agree for charges to be placed on your credit card, etc. This is referred to as a registration card. Many hotel chains have eliminated the paper version of this card and have switched to digital methods of having guests agree to the terms of staying at their hotel. Disney however, has been reluctant to make that switch.

When you check in to a hotel you traditionally sign a piece of paper stating you won't smoke in the room, you aren't traveling with pets, you agree for charges to be placed pin your credit card, etc. This is referred to as a registration card. Many hotel chains have eliminated the paper version of this card and have switched to digital methods of having guests agree to the terms of staying at their hotel. Disney however, has been reluctant to make that switch.
I don't remember having to do that. We checked in our room wasn't ready yet. We didn't sign anything. Got a text with room number and went to the room.

I don't remember having to do that. We checked in our room wasn't ready yet. We didn't sign anything. Got a text with room number and went to the room.
If you check-in online you will have already filled out this form digitally. If you didn't check-in online, your front desk cm was lazy and didn't do their job correctly. If you don't sign the form you could effectively smoke in the room and not incur a cleaning fee.

If you check-in online you will have already filled out this form digitally. If you didn't check-in online, your front desk cm was lazy and didn't do their job correctly. If you don't sign the form you could effectively smoke in the room and not incur a cleaning fee.
Ok I get it now. We did online check in.

Yea WDWNT is reporting that it is because the Mickey terminals were hard to maintain (and were not the easiest to use). So Disney is modernizing their POS systems to be inline with international standards of RFID tap payment/Apple Pay-type systems and chip and pin technology.

I used that two weeks ago at kidani...it was being "tested" and I used a Disney gift card on it.

Their credit system has been Archaic since its installation...including after major systems work in 2005 and 2012...this thing finally looks like it wasn't bought in the cheap.

I never thought of the old touch points as cheap, but they did require a little bit of training to use. The buttons for the pin pad were my biggest complaint. Did you have any issues using the new payment system?

I never thought of the old touch points as cheap, but they did require a little bit of training to use. The buttons for the pin pad were my biggest complaint. Did you have any issues using the new payment system?

It was a larger, muiltiinterface paypoint...a nice one at that. I should have taken a picture.

I think they dumped the Mickey head. That was cute for fast pass...but didn't make a lot of sense for a paypoint

It was a larger, muiltiinterface paypoint...a nice one at that. I should have taken a picture.

I think they dumped the Mickey head. That was cute for fast pass...but didn't make a lot of sense for a paypoint
The Mickey head makes sense for people so they do the "mickey to mickey" for the magicbands.

That's how the verbiage goes during training, "touch Mickey to Mickey". Makes it easier for Guests who have never used the system to understand how to use it.

The Mickey head makes sense for people so they do the "mickey to mickey" for the magicbands.

The "Mickey to Mickey" thing is part of the underlying psychology as well...it's "not real money"

...it's standard operating procedure.

And to this point...the Mickey touch points might have been confusing at registers...because people are trained internationally to look for certain things when it's about money...

You know how many places I've seen people try to Jam their visas into a non existent slot over the last 2 years?

The "Mickey to Mickey" thing is part of the underlying psychology as well...it's "not real money"

...it's standard operating procedure.

And to this point...the Mickey touch points might have been confusing at registers...because people are trained internationally to look for certain things when it's about money...

You know how many places I've seen people try to Jam their visas into a non existent slot over the last 2 years?
The touchpoints had a chip reader in them, the cast just weren't trained to use them.

The touchpoints had a chip reader in them, the cast just weren't trained to use them.

That was an example of consumer habits...not WDW.

I'm theorizing that maybe there desire to be different might have had unintended consequences.

"Cast member", I presume?

I wonder if this may be a PCI compliance thing as well. The standards for bigger companies has increasingly become more and more strict. The old hardware may be non-compliant, forcing them into the hardware update.

Yea WDWNT is reporting that it is because the Mickey terminals were hard to maintain (and were not the easiest to use). So Disney is modernizing their POS systems to be inline with international standards of RFID tap payment/Apple Pay-type systems and chip and pin technology.
I know it really means Point Of Sale,

but I still chuckle reading "Disney is modernizing their POS systems"...:goofy:

I work for a major Hotel company and thought it was insane that Disney still had paper registration cards....I feel most hotel chains had got rid of these about 5-7 years ago.

I work for a major Hotel company and thought it was insane that Disney still had paper registration cards....I feel most hotel chains had got rid of these about 5-7 years ago.

Disney hotels have been behind the curve since the micro processor was invented...

They never felt there was value in infrastructure investment

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!