Disney Riviera Resort

Not sure what I think of the Tower Studios. I guess Disney feels like there is enough demand for 2 person suites. It will be interesting to see if they're right on that one. We had set aside funds to purchase a direct contract at Riviera, but now after seeing the rooms and after they announced that resale Riviera contracts would only be allowed to stay at Riviera, I'm keeping my money. Super disappointed today, Disney. Sigh.

The tower rooms are a marketing tool - pure and simple. "Look you can get a room for only 10 points a night!" There will probably be between 10 and 20 of these rooms, and they will always be snatched up by owners at 11 months.

So I have a question that I asked on the other Riviera thread so please don't flame me lol. First, I am not DVC or interested in DVC at this time. I see that there are bookable rooms now on the Disney.go website. I also know that there are other resorts like Beach Club, Boardwalk, Poly etc. that have DVC rooms AND anyone can book at those resorts. I also know those all have Club Level. So my question that got twisted is will Riviera have Club level? That is all I want to know. TIA!

I think this highly unlikely. Eventually the intent is for this to be a fully DVC resort. While they are first selling, there is a large percentage of rooms that will be available for cash bookings (say 50-70% the first year, and dropping with time.) Once the resort is fully sold, there may be some rooms available for cash, but they will be limited.

The other resorts you refer to (Beach Club, Boardwalk, Poly) all have a separate "cash" side and a DVC side that are completely independent rooms - and these are resorts that have club level. The only DVC with ANY club level is at Animal Kingdom - and I don't think they will change that.

Now, to be fair? This is a brand new resort. Betting that a FEW things just don't work :).

(Disney voice) - hmmmm, we did our best, but we REALLY need some Guinea Pigs to shake the sight down.... HEY! Let's RENT it, then listen to the complaints! Then we can fix the issues before we sell to DVC Members :).

Just a guess...
Truthfully? I don't think they worry about this. ;)

I suspect they figured they may as well collect the $$$ SW:GE-related cash stays as early as possible.

I gotta be honest, I'm glad it's not SAB. I personally don't like SAB, nor do I think it's big enough to serve both regular resorts PLUS the DVC component. This pool looks PLENTY big, and that looks like a decent slide.

There are a couple things we do like at SAB I hope they implement here but doubt it. It no way needs to be as big.

1) Areas to "get away" between swims. These include "beach areas" at SAB, nooks and crannies, and the "look out" platform.

2) An 8 foot deep area. Living on a lake (unfrozen 6 months of the year), being able to tread water is nice. Just standing there is not the same.

3) Sand bottom.

Last edited:

There are a couple things we do like at SAB I hope they implement here but doubt it. It no way needs to be as big.

1) Areas to "get away" between swims. These include "beach areas" at SAB, nooks and crannies, and the "look out" platform.

2) An 8 foot deep area. Living on a lake (unfrozen 6 months of the year), being able to tread water is nice. Just standing there is not the same.

3) Sand bottom.
We will disagree about #3, I don't want sand...if we are going Riveria, they could do smooth stone pebbles a la Nice, France.

I will totally agree about #2, that's a thing about most modern pools that I really don't like. I enjoy a good tread or even being able to dive.

We will disagree about #3, I don't want sand...if we are going Riveria, they could do smooth stone pebbles a la Nice, France.

I will totally agree about #2, that's a thing about most modern pools that I really don't like. I enjoy a good tread or even being able to dive.

Diving would be amazing.

Yeah - I don’t think we’ll see another sand bottom pool. The pebbles would be nice, though. And I’m another fan of a true “deep end”. But, I’m also on the shorter side, so 6’ deep and I can tread.

Yeah - I don’t think we’ll see another sand bottom pool. The pebbles would be nice, though. And I’m another fan of a true “deep end”. But, I’m also on the shorter side, so 6’ deep and I can tread.

Not sure they even do 6 feet anymore do they?

Oh and I can live with pebbles.

Also hoping some private (er) areas like SAB.

I don't know this for fact, but I suspect the lack of deep areas in most modern hotel pools has more to do with not wanting folks to dive in to the pool. I think every insurance underwriter is demanding a pool with "no diving" signs and water too shallow to allow it.

I don't know this for fact, but I suspect the lack of deep areas in most modern hotel pools has more to do with not wanting folks to dive in to the pool. I think every insurance underwriter is demanding a pool with "no diving" signs and water too shallow to allow it.

Oh its a 100% safety thing.

Which is why SAB is amazing yet. Hope it can stay a long time yet.

I think the GF pool was pretty deep on one end and that went away a couple years ago as well.

eta: yes GF went from 6 feet to 4.5

Last edited:
Reduced water depth means a lot less water to heat. No diving means almost no reason for deep pools.

Reduced water depth means a lot less water to heat. No diving means almost no reason for deep pools.
Also means less chance for drowning if most of the folks can put their feet on the bottom and still breath air.

I'll say this for the resort, at least it doesn't sound like a rest home (Reflections). They could have at least used some more color though, like in Menton, France. It would have also matched the very nearby Caribbean Beach Resort.

menton-french-riviera-walks.jpg

Last edited:
I'll say this for the resort, at least it doesn't sound like a rest home (Reflections). They could have at least used some more color though, like in Menton, France. It would have also matched the very nearby Caribbean Beach Resort.

menton-french-riviera-walks.jpg
I think they were going for something that LOOKS more high-end... and I don't think most people associate a photo like this with the riviera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter