Disney shaming

i used to be one who never understands people who go to Disney without kids either.
then my friend made me sit 4 hours with him waiting for Fantasmic with front row seats. I understand now... haha.
then i took my parents who does not like disney much to see WoC. They were so happy they both gave me hugs after the show ended.

I've been shamed. In fact, my DH used to shame me (particularly about my love in characters). First trip together, we walked into Universal Orlando and immediately got in line to have my picture taken with Woody Woodpecker. He was not happy. I turned to him and said, "Get used to it, because when we hit the MK, you will be waiting in a lot of lines just like this." Well, he gets it now and is always the first to suggest another trip back to visit the Mouse.

I've learned that there are people (family, friends, co-workers, clients, etc.) that appreciate Disney and those that don't. I try to keep my excitement for trips (we are leaving in 4 days!!!!!!) to those closer to my camp. For others, I may just say that we are going to California for the weekend.

Now, it also makes me consider how I respond to others about things that they love (not just vacations, but other things). We all can be pretty judgy about things that other people like.

I preempt it by calling myself out for it. I say "we're going to Disney World again (DL in April, woo hoo), we're Disney nuts, we go all the time, and we don't have kids."

By calling ourselves nuts, coming back with anything further than that is an outright insult. I think that sets the understanding right from the start that I understand it's a little usual. But unusual doesn't mean wrong. :)

I hardly notice the shaming anymore. I'm well aware that more than 1 person I work with thinks I am insane for spending all my money on Disneyland vacations in my own backyard when I could use that money to travel elsewhere or pay off college debt. But, it's my life and I tell them that. This past week I was discussing my upcoming Disney vacation. I always start with, "In 2 weeks I'm going. I know some of you haven't been in years and are okay with never going back again, but it is my happy place and I am so excited since I haven't been in almost a year!" If I offer to bring them back something, it automatically turns the tides, too. I think people are secretly jealous that I have the opportunity to go as often as I do. Other people just don't get it.

I get this a lot though. I am a member of a few fandoms that not everyone loves. It's cool though, because for everything I love that someone else hates, there's something I hate that everyone else loves.

I can't even post pictures on Facebook. It has gotten to the point that my husband has started lying to his family about whenever my daughter and I go to DL. His family has a conniption whenever we go (and I mean ridiculous shaming to the point of "how dare you spend money that way"), so now he just tells them we are visiting my brother.

I don't know why people share their vacation plans with others. Or why they would share a second time when they know the response they'll get.

Stop sharing and you won't get your feelings hurt.

That said, you don't have to love Disney to have someone explain why they love it. Just tell them, if you continue to share and continue to get the questions, that you have good memories there from childhood, that you like the feeling of being there (that's my feeling, though it's stronger with universal at this point), the rides, etc. if they are asking you a question, it's not a hard question to answer.

If I take time off work, I usually get questions from coworkers about where I'm going, so. I doubt many people are broadcasting it without being asked.

Not about Disney, but about SeaWorld. As a teacher I get a free fun card. Mom (my travel buddy) and I went one weekend. I came back sunburned. Another teacher asked in copy room what happened and I told her. Later in the week I was in workroom with several people including aforementioned coworker when she said, "did you hear what she did last weekend? She went to SEAWORLD with her MOMMY. isn't that just PRECIOUS?" I capitalized those words because she over exaggerated them, slowing down and dragging out every syllable. I just rolled my eyes and walked out.

Wow! your co-worker sounds like she has major issues, and maybe issues with her mother. It sounds as if she is jealous. I loved spending time with my mom even as teen I liked hanging out with her and now that she has passed I miss her greatly and it bothers me that she would put down someone for wanting to spending time with their family. If I had heard I would have told her off. She sounds like a jealous, lonely, bullying brat. I hope you enjoy spending time with your mom and please keep rubbing it in her face about the great time you are having no matter what adventures you have. (That sounds a little bratty, but she deserves it!)

As for the original poster, I sometimes get the Why Disney and Disney is for kids comments. And hubby and I don't have kids and I just say its fun and sometimes talk about all the cool things to do. When I share with my students each year that I am a big Disney nut, they think it is pretty cool and are shocked that I go on the rides especially the roller coasters. Maybe they think I'm too old for coasters, I'm not 40 yet but I think kids think anyone over 20 is super old!

We've gotten a lot of comments but people just don't get it if they don't get it. We were disney nuts before but once we won the dream suite, all bets were off. It's now a second home. My husband's boss is a bit of a disney nerd too and he'll talk about it with my husband, but his other coworkers give him crap every time.

It seems to be the "Disney vacation phenomena" (sp). People can mention going to the beach, cabin, mountains, Spain, California, the Grand Canyon, but when you mention you are going to Disney, they get all upset and can't understand it. Try telling someone when you are in your 60's, and go with your husband every year. That really gets them going! I just say we love it, because they will never understand it.
It just irks me that this is the place everyone seems to make comments on where you vacation.
I would love to have the nerve one day to say, "When you pay for our vacation, then you can tell us that we shouldn't go there because it's just for children". But I'm too much of a chicken!

I have loved Disney since I was a kid and just tell people I had children to justify my Disney habit! Hmmm...what am I going to say when they get older and move out of the house?!!! :scared1:

Has anyone delt with Disney shaming from others? I'm 30 years old, I'm married but do not have children. I've had several coworkers seem confused why I would be even remotely interested in Disneyland. They seem to think Disneyland is just for children. I can't really explain this to them since you'd just have to be in our (Disney lovers) mindset to truly understand. Both my husband and I have fond childhood memories of DLR and it just seems to get better with age. I try to not let it bother me, but I've gotten to the point where I don't even share my vacation plans with coworkers anymore. Oh well, their loss. More Disney for me!

forget them. (putting it nicely) People either get it or they dont. who cares? go and have fun and do not worry what other folks think. my wife and i ( no kids) have been going to Disney for years, and we just ignore the comments,

It's a beautiful thing when you really don't care about what others think of your adult choices. Some people can't help but judge. It's their nature.
I don't mind that people know I love Disney. I love it when they ask me questions when they are planning their own trips.
I also travel to other places in the country and world. I'm not a solely Disney vacationer and realize that's a luxury some don't have. I am grateful I'm able to do that.

If choosing Disney only is someone's choice on how to spend their money and their time, how great is that? They have fun and it's of great value to them. That's the bottom line.

I have the same thing happen. I just tell them I spend my money on what I want to spend it on. Everyone chooses what they spend their money on and I chose Disney,

The military is not immune to Disney shaming either.

So I've traveled all over Europe when I was single and stationed in Germany(2004-2008). 90% of the time, I went alone. No one said anything to me, except the married guys who envyed me.

The one and only time I went to Euro Disney alone, I didn't hear the end of the teasing from some people in my unit. It was disappointing to hear some of the comments from both single and married people at BBQs and luncheons.

Fast forward to 2014 and I transferred to AZ. One of younger airmen mentioned " I'm going on leave to Disneyland." He said this to all the guys in the shop. Nothing until he said he was going alone. Thats when the onsalught of shaming began. The teasing and shaming got so bad the First Sergeant had to be called in to "settle us down." In the end, he ended up going but didn't share his experience with us.

About a week later, during an NCO round talk table, the situation was mention in order to get input from others. One mentioned that "the image of Disneyland is simply for children and families...not for single 22 year old white males." Which led to other discussions including alternative conclusions of "what is the REAL reason he was going to DL alone?" "Was he REALLY going to DL?" Etc etc etc... After 10 mins, one of the female Senior Leaders had to step in and tell everyone that is incredibly ignorant and damaging to unit and to morale.
But the damage has been done for one young man who want to explore DL.

I always wonder if the young airman had mention that hes going to Six Flags or Cedar Point alone, would he have received the same negative reaction?

All the time and it does bug me but I try not to let it get to me. Most of the time it is friends who have their own obsessions and I feel like saying well you like to go to Mexico or wine tasting or whatever it might be and I like Disney. My fave though is when they say it is the same. Um not really since it is constantly changing. Not to mention even during the year there are different events for the holidays and it seems like they have something new all the time (food and wine festival of holidays etc). And bottom line even if NOTHING changed it is my happy place and I love it and will ALWAYS want to go. Now that my kids are older we tend to go less and do more "other" trips but we still try to go at least once a year.

The shaming will likely subside as DLR becomes more of an adult park and the word gets out.

The shaming will likely subside as DLR becomes more of an adult park and the word gets out.
I hope you're not holding your breath on that. Disney might be adding more things to appeal to older guests, but it would have a very long way to go before it's more of an "adult park". It's still Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!