Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

maybe they were trying to get it working and thought they could get it open by 7:30 (which is pretty standard opening) but then realized they couldn't?

As much of a fan of the Skyliner as I am and how great it was to use on our last trip, I really don't get why they don't open it earlier if they are going to keep with the 8am openings at DHS

I don’t either? I could understand if it didn't open up and run early enough for Epcot’s one EMH morning and if DHS still had an EMH morning. Problem is, since they’ve changed DHS to regularly open at 8 am it’s inexcusable that they don’t open them early enough for guests to get to DHS openings!

The problem is we don’t know there reasoning, and it’s inexcusable that they haven’t given one! Maybe there is a technical reasons? Maybe they’re concerned it‘s not reliable enough to count on not breaking down or handling that size of crowds? Whatever the reasoning they really need to let us know. In general the benefits of staying onsite seem to get less and less for Disney and especially for DHS. With the removal of EMH mornings that takes away one of the biggest benefit of staying onsite. Having the SkyLiner running early enough for people to get RotR boarding groups would be one.

The problem is we don’t know there reasoning, and it’s inexcusable that they haven’t given one! Maybe there is a technical reasons? Maybe they’re concerned it‘s not reliable enough to count on not breaking down or handling that size of crowds?

Yes, but if the italicized reason is the real one they would never tell us that. :)

Does every group get their own Skyliner car or do they put people together?

Or can you ask for your group to not be put with other people and to get your own car? If for some reason one doesn’t want to be locked in a Skyliner car with other people at this time.

I do realize the Skyliner is not the only place you’d come in close contact with other people, but I am specifically curious about it.

Or can you ask for your group to not be put with other people and to get your own car? If for some reason one doesn’t want to be locked in a Skyliner car with other people at this time.

I do realize the Skyliner is not the only place you’d come in close contact with other people, but I am specifically curious about it.
From reports most times groups travel on their own but there are also many reports of groups being put in the same car, even when its not busy.

Not sure if you can request to ride alone or not.

I've been solo and in a group of three. Most of the time I/we were placed with other groups. I can only think of one instance when in the group of three that we had our own car when there were others in line. Obviously if there was nobody else in line than we would have our own car, which happened a couple times, same for when I was solo.

As others have posted, DH and I rode alone when it wasn’t busy and with others when it was. That said, I doubt that if you ask politely to ride alone that they’ll hold up the line to argue with you - unless maybe if the Skyliner is just coming back online after a prolonged breakdown.

Problem is, since they’ve changed DHS to regularly open at 8 am it’s inexcusable that they don’t open them early enough for guests to get to DHS openings!
I would not be so hard on them. Buses should run starting at roughly 6:30 or an hour before park opening time, whichever comes first, in the same manner as for other resorts.

I would think it unreasonable for you to have to be ninth or tenth into a cabin with strangers but rather you should be able to elect to go in the next cabin..

Yes, but if the italicized reason is the real one they would never tell us that. :)

No doubt that is the most likely explanation and of course they wouldn’t come out and directly tell us that. That said they’ve had years to “perfect spin”, so I’m sure they could come up with something. :rotfl: Doubt it would be enough to satisfy most if us, but would be better than nothing.

I would not be so hard on them. Buses should run starting at roughly 6:30 or an hour before park opening time, whichever comes first, in the same manner as for other resorts.

I would think it unreasonable for you to have to be ninth or tenth into a cabin with strangers but rather you should be able to elect to go in the next cabin..

That’s how it works now and from most accounts I‘ve read it works fairly well. When we go in July that’s what we will do, or use an Uber. Still would seem like being able to use the SkyLiner would be a much better option. Hopefully they will run early enough then, and been running long enough that we’d have a good idea how long to allocate for it. 🤞

Loke I’ve said before, I’m sure the main reason they’re not open in time is because they’re concerned that any operational issues would be a real problem for them. If they went down for whatever reason, it could potentially event over a thousand people and really create issues for them. On the other hand, if a bus we’re to break down, it would be a lot easier to deal with having to compensate a few dozen people (RotR passes?).

We rode the Skyliner last week and a family with children asked to ride without any other groups. The CM was able to honor their request.

We are a group of two and have ridden with and without other people. Most of the time the people in our gondola start talking to each other and we have a very enjoyable ride. It is actually more boring to ride with people who ignore you then to chat with other guests. :)

As a solo, I was sometimes alone and sometimes put in with other parties. It's apparently driven by crowds and efficient loading.

The one instance I experienced where I think it would have been difficult to request your own cabin (or anything else) was leaving Epcot late in the afternoon. There was enough of a line, they were running both parallel loading lanes with CMs loading more than one car at a time and it was like go! go! go! I was boarded with multiple groups for a total of 8 in the car (it was fine, and I didn't feel cramped).

We rode the Skyliner last week and a family with children asked to ride without any other groups. The CM was able to honor their request.

We are a group of two and have ridden with and without other people. Most of the time the people in our gondola start talking to each other and we have a very enjoyable ride. It is actually more boring to ride with people who ignore you then to chat with other guests. :)

May I ask which line it was where the family was able to request their own gondola?

I had some nice rides with other guests. It's fun to have a little small talk when everyone's nice and happy to be there.

As a solo, I was sometimes alone and sometimes put in with other parties. It's apparently driven by crowds and efficient loading.

The one instance I experienced where I think it would have been difficult to request your own cabin (or anything else) was leaving Epcot late in the afternoon. There was enough of a line, they were running both parallel loading lanes with CMs loading more than one car at a time and it was like go! go! go! I was boarded with multiple groups for a total of 8 in the car (it was fine, and I didn't feel cramped).

This is fine as long as there is NOT a stroller in the cabin with 8 people, as was the case one time when I rode. The stroller kept rolling into me until the mother finally realized and locked it.

I will in the future request not to be put in a cabin with a stroller and more than 4 people.

Reviving this old thread now that we’re fully into summer in FL.

For those who have ridden the Skyliner since it reopened July 15th, what have the temps been like riding it during the heat of the day?

I’ve been of the mind that Disney would have taken the FL sun into consideration and it would be comfortable. Not necessarily ‘cool’ but comfortable.

What have your personal experiences been?

Reviving this old thread now that we’re fully into summer in FL.

For those who have ridden the Skyliner since it reopened July 15th, what have the temps been like riding it during the heat of the day?

I’ve been of the mind that Disney would have taken the FL sun into consideration and it would be comfortable. Not necessarily ‘cool’ but comfortable.

What have your personal experiences been?
When we were there in January we rode it and it was around 86 out and it was comfortable.

We rode them this weekend. They feel like you are sitting in the shade with a nice breeze. When in riviera or the turning station it does get a little warm since there is no breeze but it doesn't get hotter than the ambient temperature.
Thanks so much!! I appreciate you sharing your recent experience. Sounds very much like I had hoped it would be!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter