Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

It's a miracle more people don't drop things from ski lifts....and not on purpose...try to get anything out of your pocket while gripping ski poles, mittens, kleenex, your kid's ski poles and mittens, etc., add in some wind and a gentle rocking motion. Gotta love mitten clips.

I really don't understand the allure of drinking and skiing. High speeds on slippery slopes + sharp pointy ski poles + booze = disaster.

Perhaps there will be a security check for bottles of booze before boarding the Skyliner. I sure hope there are smoke detectors. It would stink (literally) to get stuck with a smoker.

Oh I know. Never ever EVER try to get something out of your pockets while on the lift. Wait until you get to the top to dig around for stuff.

The people at my local resort particularly enjoy the pints of Fireball. I mean, I guess maybe it warms your belly but I really don't know how long they are carrying those around before they drink it all. And I totally agree, alcohol + skiing = no good. Just don't do it people. Save the alcohol for apres ski.

I'm not that concerned about noise, more about having people overhead looking at you the whole time you are outside your room at your resort. Also, it just kind of spoils the atmosphere to have a tram overhead.
Do people spend that much time outside their room at CBR? The rooms don’t have balconies. I’ve never stayed there so not sure ways it’s like.

I'm not that concerned about noise, more about having people overhead looking at you the whole time you are outside your room at your resort. Also, it just kind of spoils the atmosphere to have a tram overhead.
Again it’s a similar principle to the monorail whizzing by your room. Maybe it’s just me, but it wouldn’t bother me that much

So DH and I were looking at the Skyliner maps last night and it looks like the systems hub will be at CBR then the EPCOT line will go to Riviera and then on to EPCOT. Has anyone heard what the plan is for that? Will all the gondolas, even loaded ones, go into the RR station or will only empty gondolas scoot into the station? Also, during busy times is there any concern with guests at RR having to wait awhile for an empty gondola to come by?

So DH and I were looking at the Skyliner maps last night and it looks like the systems hub will be at CBR then the EPCOT line will go to Riviera and then on to EPCOT. Has anyone heard what the plan is for that? Will all the gondolas, even loaded ones, go into the RR station or will only empty gondolas scoot into the station? Also, during busy times is there any concern with guests at RR having to wait awhile for an empty gondola to come by?

All the gondolas will go through the station, filled or not. I am not sure exactly how this will work, but it's conceivable that CM's at the Riviera station will be able to communicate with the CBR hub and ask them to send empty gondolas if the line at Riviera get's to long.

How exciting! When I visited WDW when I was young, they had gondolas that went from one end of MK to the other! Of course, that's all there was....The Contemporary and MK!

When the system gets started will Pop Century and Art of Animation be upgraded from value to moderate?

I doubt it. They don't have other amenities that moderates have like a slide at the pool and sit down restaurants but they will likely become pricier than the All Stars.

If I am understanding the Gondola diagram correctly and reading the pp carefully, the hubs will be Epcot at IG and CBR. So can I assume I would be able to exit Epcot midday after lunch at IG, board a gondola, exit at CBR and board another gondola to DHS for the afternoon and evening? If this is correct, I can see this being a great perk. I hate walking back to the front of EP after a nice lunch just to get to transportation.

Also, I can see people wanting to go from IG to CBR and then to other parks so I would assume they will have to increase buses from CBR to MK and AKL.

Sorry dumb question of the day as I'm sure it been covered - apologies if it has.

but just back from a trip and stayed in the boardwalk area and it got me thinking - they are planning to update the IG right.. :confused3

As some mornings it was packed with the current level of guests, so adding in a load of extra people coming in via gondola especially around rope drop might make it a bit crazy, so please reassure me they have a plan :rotfl:

Sorry dumb question of the day as I'm sure it been covered - apologies if it has.

but just back from a trip and stayed in the boardwalk area and it got me thinking - they are planning to update the IG right.. :confused3

As some mornings it was packed with the current level of guests, so adding in a load of extra people coming in via gondola especially around rope drop might make it a bit crazy, so please reassure me they have a plan :rotfl:
This is why we stayed at BC/YC in January and have another stay there planned later this year. We love the way that area is right now with the ease of walking in and out of IG. We think the skyliner hub at IG is going to take the ambiance away and make it more crowded. We want to enjoy it before it gets crazy nuts.

If I am understanding the Gondola diagram correctly and reading the pp carefully, the hubs will be Epcot at IG and CBR. So can I assume I would be able to exit Epcot midday after lunch at IG, board a gondola, exit at CBR and board another gondola to DHS for the afternoon and evening? If this is correct, I can see this being a great perk. I hate walking back to the front of EP after a nice lunch just to get to transportation.

Also, I can see people wanting to go from IG to CBR and then to other parks so I would assume they will have to increase buses from CBR to MK and AKL.
I think most people will still think Monorail to MK.
People can currently walk to BC and BW bus transportation from IG, so I can’t imagine the gondolas picking up a lot more.

This is why we stayed at BC/YC in January and have another stay there planned later this year. We love the way that area is right now with the ease of walking in and out of IG. We think the skyliner hub at IG is going to take the ambiance away and make it more crowded. We want to enjoy it before it gets crazy nuts.
It’s why I had a question about a potential change in the “secure zone”.
If the gondolas are in the secure zone, then the security checks for walkers and boat guests could be moved closer to the boat dock.
Moving security back would remove a big choke point at the current IG tapstyles.

This has always been an option with the friendship boats.

That one of the reason we book to stay in that area, as at some times in the day it's completely empty and you can whiz right through - I doubt you'll still have that when the gondola arrive.

Although on the flip side if I can get easily to DHS and Epcot from other resorts might make me likely to book them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!