Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I'm going to Korea in a week, and am really looking forward to riding the Busan Air Cruise with a glass floor. It is also a Doppelmayr gondola and I just found this pretty cool video that shows some of the construction, different views than I've seen in other videos. It is in Korean, but the visuals are universal.

Shows some of the controls, load testing, the hydraulic tensioner, etc. This one is definitely not for acrophobes though.

Please shoot lots of video especially of people getting on and off the Gondolas. Also if any wheelchairs or scooters load.
Thanks

Please shoot lots of video especially of people getting on and off the Gondolas. Also if any wheelchairs or scooters load.
Thanks
I'll do what I can. Their website says that manual wheelchairs and strollers are allowed, but people in electric wheelchairs have to transfer to a manual one.

screen-shot-2018-12-09-at-11-19-05-pm.jpg

Is this the same manufacturer, I wonder? This happened last winter in Austria, due to high winds.

screen-shot-2018-12-09-at-11-19-05-pm.jpg

Is this the same manufacturer, I wonder? This happened last winter in Austria, due to high winds.
Different - Poma Leitner. Lift was closed at the time, due to approaching high winds. The resort was trying to get the cabins into the garage before the storm hit.

From the website of the Munich Merkur newspaper: (https://www.merkur.de/welt/kaltenba...e-aussage-von-seilbahn-firma-zr-10832647.html)

According to the expert explained that on Sunday first a wind alarm had worked as planned, whereupon the cable car employees stopped the boarding of new passengers and then leave the gondolas empty.

As a result, the empty gondolas should go back into the garage, but just then came the first minor incident. Triggered by the particularly violent gust of wind, the first gondola got caught in one column, the other gondolas were then driven onto the jammed cab. According to Rudolf Beha, this type of collision is "a lotto in the lottery" and is usually impossible, says the expert at tirol.orf-at.​

Last edited:

To be fair, I wonder if they have a policy against filming their transportation systems.
If that were the case no one could take a video of the monorail, the bus, the ferry, the friendship boats, the parking lot trams, etc.

Disney knows people love to take video of that type of stuff (especially monorail and the ferries if I had to guess).

Now I could see no videoing of behind the stage stuff (like repairs, warehouses, etc) related to transportation but I would think those are behind security areas anyways off limits to guests.

If that were the case no one could take a video of the monorail, the bus, the ferry, the friendship boats, the parking lot trams, etc.

Disney knows people love to take video of that type of stuff (especially monorail and the ferries if I had to guess).

Now I could see no videoing of behind the stage stuff (like repairs, warehouses, etc) related to transportation but I would think those are behind security areas anyways off limits to guests.

Right. As I said later, it's pretty unenforceable. Some policies are written just so they give themselves the option of stopping people in certain situations.

Still, they'd probably stop anyone who looked sketchy. I mean, some vloggers do look sketchy, but in a different way. :)

Not really a comment about the gondolas but more your plan for going to DHS at 9:30 to see GE - I would just watch for how they are handling people tonget into the land. There very likely will be some sort of queue system just to get into the land and if the park closes at 10:30 they might have that queue closed off well before 9:30

If WDW thinks SWGE will be that packed they will likely issue a reservation system like Disneyland has, and I can get one for night time.

Either way, my goal is to do this on every park day for 10 days and see if I can catch a "slow" day when I can squeeze in. It just gives me a reason to use the Skyliner at night in September when it's nice and cool and comfortable. Even if I don't ever make it inside SWGE, I'm fine with it. I feel conflicted about that place anyway. On one hand, I am curious about it -- I'm a Star Wars Fan, after all -- and on the other hand, the more I look at its pictures and descriptions, the more I am repulsed by it. Which part of Star Wars is that in? WHICH PART????? That is not Star Wars, that is a betrayal of Star Wars! In fact, if I even enter SWGE, I might be defiling myself! Ewwww.

Seriously, as an original trilogy Star Wars fan, I am considering boycotting SWGE permanently. So I feel conflictedo_O.

But the Skyliner will be super cool at night as we float over to DHS in style! :teleport:

Sorry, I just read dozens of pages, so some are kinda old:

Disney’s latest upcharge: for only $79/person now YOU can be the rest subject! Make it to the other end successfully and receive a complementary themed cupcake!

How many $79 cupcakes do they need to sell to pay for the whole system? Maybe that's why the official open date is so far off?

Some people have told me that I should keep an open mind about the gondola. Trust me, if you have to use your mind to stay cool, you are in for it. The mind isn't that great at cooling!

Bahaha Reminds me of old Chinese proverb: Man with open mind, has hole in head.

And there was another one following a ski lift post: So is the SkyLiner heated? :D

If WDW thinks SWGE will be that packed they will likely issue a reservation system like Disneyland has, and I can get one for night time.

Either way, my goal is to do this on every park day for 10 days and see if I can catch a "slow" day when I can squeeze in. It just gives me a reason to use the Skyliner at night in September when it's nice and cool and comfortable. Even if I don't ever make it inside SWGE, I'm fine with it. I feel conflicted about that place anyway. On one hand, I am curious about it -- I'm a Star Wars Fan, after all -- and on the other hand, the more I look at its pictures and descriptions, the more I am repulsed by it. Which part of Star Wars is that in? WHICH PART????? That is not Star Wars, that is a betrayal of Star Wars! In fact, if I even enter SWGE, I might be defiling myself! Ewwww.

Seriously, as an original trilogy Star Wars fan, I am considering boycotting SWGE permanently. So I feel conflictedo_O.

But the Skyliner will be super cool at night as we float over to DHS in style! :teleport:
You have time to think about it. Maybe you could just ride the Skyliner over and back. That way your little guy can stay in his stroller and be comfortable the whole time.

As far as lack of Air Conditioning goes, the ski lift posts sum it up: They are dressed and ready for outside temperatures, and no one complains about lack of heat.

If you're going out to enjoy Disney in the heat of the day, you will be likewise dressed and prepared.

Our bodies don't sense a temperature, rather temperature change (think lobster in pot of water example). So if the queue is shaded, but open to outside temperature, the the breezy ride (still pretty much at shaded outdoor temperature) will feel better than standing in line.

Yeah, more just a reminder to keep an eye on how they are handling things. For now no mention of reservation system but I think they will see how it goes at Disneyland and adapt as needed

As for GE - it is a newly created planet on the outer rim in the Star Wars Universe. I see it the same way as planets or other tales that took place in the expanded universe in books and stuff - so not really fitting into any of the movies, but fitting into the universe as a whole. So it is all about immersing you in that "world" vs showing you scenes from a movie you know

I tried to find a pic, but couldn't...what will the Skyliner look like going to Epcot over Epcot area resorts? Will I be able to see it from the Boardwalk? Does it go over Crescent Lake? We are splurging on a Boardwalk view and if I can also see the Skyliner from our balcony I just might burst!!! :)

I tried to find a pic, but couldn't...what will the Skyliner look like going to Epcot over Epcot area resorts? Will I be able to see it from the Boardwalk? Does it go over Crescent Lake? We are splurging on a Boardwalk view and if I can also see the Skyliner from our balcony I just might burst!!! :)
It really only goes over the Boardwalk parking lot area. Then over the boat dock at International Gateway along the backside of the France Pavilion.

Here is an image with the path for the skyliner overlaid with a map so might show a bit more clearly. I would think some rooms at the Boardwalk that currently have parking lot views would see it ... though I think it goes closest to the convention room area. I would think some rooms at the end of the Yacht club closest to EPCOT would see some then

Disney-Skyliner-Map.jpg

I think the Skyliner map indicates some strange choices made. Given distance and what would be traversed, I don't understand why they didn't connect the BW parking lot 90° turn to Hollywood Studios. It seems to me that it would have made more sense making AoA/Pop Century - to - Caribbean Beach - to - a 110° turn/loading/unloading station at Riviera - to - some kind of hub station in the BoardWalk parking lot, from which guests would switch to short runs to either of the two parks. That would have made it a little shorter overall and left more wetlands undisturbed. I know that they needed a yard, but they could have used the BoardWalk parking lot for that, replacing the capacity with a parking deck. The only thing I can think of was that this way, with the yard at Caribbean Beach, it's a shorter run to clear the cable in case of a coming storm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter