Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think the bigger question is how they will handle ECVs at Riviera, as there is no 2nd loop.
Where was this info shared? I wouldn't ask but I promise I've been following this thread pretty closely and still managed to miss it. Thanks in advance...and sorry if I am totally forgetting/not seeing something already mentioned.

Where was this info shared? I wouldn't ask but I promise I've been following this thread pretty closely and still managed to miss it. Thanks in advance...and sorry if I am totally forgetting/not seeing something already mentioned.
I thought there was a lot of excited discussion when the unique double bull wheel construction was spotted by the gondola geeks and the lack of the second loading area at Riviera was noted. When at WDW we rely on Disney transportation thus I’ve loaded onto a lot of buses/monorails & boats and have observed the challenges some ECV riders have in navigating onto transportation. Most should be able to drive them straight into the cabin - the getting off at Riviera may be the bigger challenge since if the ECV loaded going forward they’ll need to unload going reverse - it seems to be the maneuvering, especially in reverse that results in delays. Maybe the doors will open on the other side of the gondola for the off loading & the ECV user wouldn’t need to reverse out?
Edit to add link to when double load system first spotted :) p. 102 post 2034 https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...m-read-post-1-updated-3-4-19.3578988/page-102

Last edited:
I thought there was a lot of excited discussion when the unique double bull wheel construction was spotted by the gondola geeks and the lack of the second loading area at Riviera was noted. When at WDW we rely on Disney transportation thus I’ve loaded onto a lot of buses/monorails & boats and have observed the challenges some ECV riders have in navigating onto transportation. Most should be able to drive them straight into the cabin - the getting off at Riviera may be the bigger challenge since if the ECV loaded going forward they’ll need to unload going reverse - it seems to be the maneuvering, especially in reverse that results in delays. Maybe the doors will open on the other side of the gondola for the off loading & the ECV user wouldn’t need to reverse out?
Edit to add link to when double load system first spotted :) p. 102 post 2034 https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...m-read-post-1-updated-3-4-19.3578988/page-102
Aw, thank you so much for the link! That was so nice. I'd just spent several minutes doing an internet search and then skimming a thread on another forum and was about to do the same here!

I have trouble believing that some stations have the ability to pull gondolas completely off-line for wheeled loading/unloading, yet others will not.
If it's not safe or too difficult at one station, then how is it better at another station?

I think the one we are concerned about is Riviera, and Riviera is a straight-through station, right?
If so, then maybe they will have a moving walkway that can be entered like Haunted Mansion on wheels, and feet (e.g. parallel to gondola's motion), then with the speed matched to gondolas, and enough time allowance, wheeled vehicles could move straight out/in on the moving walkway.

I have trouble believing that some stations have the ability to pull gondolas completely off-line for wheeled loading/unloading, yet others will not.
If it's not safe or too difficult at one station, then how is it better at another station?

I think the one we are concerned about is Riviera, and Riviera is a straight-through station, right?
If so, then maybe they will have a moving walkway that can be entered like Haunted Mansion on wheels, and feet (e.g. parallel to gondola's motion), then with the speed matched to gondolas, and enough time allowance, wheeled vehicles could move straight out/in on the moving walkway.

yeah, it is the Riviera one that we are unclear on as it doesn't appear to have the same secondary wheel that the other, terminal, stations have (so at the others there are in effect two loading/unloading area with the 2nd one permitting the gondolas to come to a complete stop and allow for more time)

I tried to find a pic, but couldn't...what will the Skyliner look like going to Epcot over Epcot area resorts? Will I be able to see it from the Boardwalk? Does it go over Crescent Lake? We are splurging on a Boardwalk view and if I can also see the Skyliner from our balcony I just might burst!!! :)

Here is an image with the path for the skyliner overlaid with a map so might show a bit more clearly. I would think some rooms at the Boardwalk that currently have parking lot views would see it ... though I think it goes closest to the convention room area. I would think some rooms at the end of the Yacht club closest to EPCOT would see some then

Disney-Skyliner-Map.jpg

In January we had a standard view villa at BW that was at the far end of the wing closest to DHS. We had a nice view of the turning station. Saw some workers there but no gondolas at that time.

when the unique double bull wheel construction was spotted
The bull wheel turns the cable around. There's only one bull wheel per end.

The cabins turn around on a track, propelled by tires rotating above the track (like a WEDway turned upside down). The Skyliner has 2 loop tracks at each end, with track switches.

Theoretically they could - but it is way, way more people that would "pass through" - and how would you handle all the people at CBR to get on those cars where most are just passing through?

Riviera has ~300 units/rooms

POP has 1,008 rooms and AoA has 1,984 total rooms between suites and rooms ... so that is 10 times the number of rooms being serviced. Just much more of a logistics issue
Just a correction for anyone playing with numbers, Pop has 2880 rooms which is almost 3x the number quoted above.

Each floor at Pop has 72 rooms
Each building has 4 floors = 288 rooms per building
There are 10 buildings = 2880 rooms at Pop

The bull wheel turns the cable around. There's only one bull wheel per end.

The cabins turn around on a track, propelled by tires rotating above the track (like a WEDway turned upside down). The Skyliner has 2 loop tracks at each end, with track switches.
Thanks - I’m, shall we say, mechanically challenged & I guess I remembered ‘bull wheel’ because it was a cool name and had something to do w/ turning...nevertheless I doggedly plow through all of the mechanical stuff and appreciate those who post about it on this thread.

The station is much longer than the other stations. I am still thinking they will be about to change the speeds of cabins in the station and allow a cabin to come to a full stop for ~30 seconds to allow a ECV to load before it affected the line. Basically normally operate with a gap between the unload and load areas. If you are loading a ECV the cabin would move quickly between the unload and load areas through that gap, then stop. The cabins behind it will queue up in the gap space. Once the ECV is loaded, the cabin is accelerated to catch up. It would be unique, but so are the double loops at the other stations.

Are we sure there isn't arrangement other than the double loop? There was expressed a concern about that arrangement at a thru-station like Riviera being hazardous for guests but what if it isn't the guests crossing the path of the gondolas?

Attachments

• DSL.JPG
    DSL.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 38
Now that the point charts for Riviera have been released, excited to hear when we can make reservations and interested in staying in a Deluxe studio, not Tower Studio to check it out!:dance3:

C50311AB-C348-4592-824D-1B51D6956949.jpeg
Are we sure there isn't arrangement other than the double loop? There was expressed a concern about that arrangement at a thru-station like Riviera being hazardous for guests but what if it isn't the guests crossing the path of the gondolas?
The only argument I would have against there being a “cabin path” through the Riviera station like you drew up is that it was never evident during construction. For instance the “double turnarounds” at the end points were quite obvious during early construction and immediately noticed by Lift pundits e.g. Liftblog.com. I think anything new and unusual would not have gone unnoticed by them. In this aerial, the tire banks are in place on either side as far as my understanding goes and shows the cabins take a linear path(s) through Rivera.

ETA: Photo from @bioreconstruct

Last edited:
I think the more reasonable solution will be a slower/longer time in station for cabins. Cabins either need to come to a complete stop to load/unload ecv's or there needs to be a moving walkway to sink speeds. Otherwise when the leading tires go from cabin to concrete, it will move the ecv sideways.
That is completely doable on a constant load basis. Cabin comes into station, slows to walking speed for 10 seconds, stops for 10 seconds, then walking speed for 10, then full speed out of the station. The times are arbitrary obviously but you get the point. If doing it both directions it should be fine.
The issue I see isn't loading, but unloading. Person on the ECV is enjoying the ride, they shut off the ECV and as they get in station, by the time they realized its unload time, and turn the thing on and back up...they've already wasted 15 seconds.

Just a correction for anyone playing with numbers, Pop has 2880 rooms which is almost 3x the number quoted above.

Each floor at Pop has 72 rooms
Each building has 4 floors = 288 rooms per building
There are 10 buildings = 2880 rooms at Pop

Oop, I used the DIS info but see they have the number of rooms listed twice - once with your number and once with the number I took as I saw that number first

guess we should notify them .... guess you can't trust anything you read on the Internet ;)

per WDW Info at: https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/pop-century-resort/

Disney's Pop Century Resort Address:
1050 Century Dr
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000
Phone: (407) 938-4000
Fax: (407) 938-4039

Check In: 3:00pm | Check Out: 11:00am
Number of Rooms: 2880
Category: Value

Maximum persons per room: 4 (2 if booking a King room)
Total Number of rooms: 1008
Room size: 260 Sq Ft.
Charge for 3rd and 4th guest: $15 per night / per guest
Credit Cards accepted: Disney Gift Card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB

Oop, I used the DIS info but see they have the number of rooms listed twice - once with your number and once with the number I took as I saw that number first

guess we should notify them .... guess you can't trust anything you read on the Internet ;)

per WDW Info at: https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/pop-century-resort/

Disney's Pop Century Resort Address:
1050 Century Dr
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000
Phone: (407) 938-4000
Fax: (407) 938-4039

Check In: 3:00pm | Check Out: 11:00am
Number of Rooms: 2880
Category: Value

Maximum persons per room: 4 (2 if booking a King room)
Total Number of rooms: 1008
Room size: 260 Sq Ft.
Charge for 3rd and 4th guest: $15 per night / per guest
Credit Cards accepted: Disney Gift Card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB
Well to be fair they have it right at the 2880 but also wrong at the 1008 on the same website

Last edited:
Well to be fair they have it right at the 2880 but also wrong at the 1008 on the same website

yeah - unfortunately I saw the wrong number first .... definitely my bad

(though I think my main point holds that you have to handle way more people getting on at POP/AoA that would be "going through to one of the parks" than at Riviera)

yeah - unfortunately I saw the wrong number first .... definitely my bad

(though I think my main point holds that you have to handle way more people getting on at POP/AoA that would be "going through to one of the parks" than at Riviera)
I agree an exchange point is best at CBR because of the amount of people that those two resorts would have causing a major choke point if it wasn’t placed here. Now the system is set up so the hub is “central” with each line having a similar expectation of riders. It also markets better for CBR and Riviera too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter