Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I find it very interesting that currently they are running the gondolas in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions. Will it still be like that once it opens? If so the loading/unloading sides will need to have signage that can change.

Another option could be that the Pop/AoA - CBR route might travel one direction and CBR - DHS might be the other.
Except for short periods, they've been running clockwise on the Epcot line, and counterclockwise on the other 2 lines. I think it probably has to do with station design, specifically which sides they want Guests to enter and exit on for the best pedestrian traffic flow.

Note that on all lines, the cabins have 2 windows in front and 3 in back, which suggests that provides the best ventilation, and that cabins were specifically built for each line.
I took a video last month of the Pop/AoA - CBR route and it was definitely travelling in clockwise direction.
ETA: Pop is running counterclockwise here. That's how it's been every time I've seen it.

Last edited:
Except for short periods, they've been running clockwise on the Epcot line, and counterclockwise on the other 2 lines. I think it probably has to do with station design, specifically which sides they want Guests to enter and exit on for the best pedestrian traffic flow.

Note that on all lines, the cabins have 2 windows in front and 3 in back, which suggests that provides the best ventilation, and that cabins were specifically built for each line.

ETA: Pop is running counterclockwise here. That's how it's been every time I've seen it.

yeah, I was thinking it might be due to design of the CBR station and best enabling people to get off of one line and get into the queue for the other line while avoiding having to go around or up and under, etc.

At least a minute and half is more likely from what we know. 40-50 seconds on both the unload and load sides plus the time to move from unload to load. From videos we've seen 9 to 11 cabins will be in the station, on the main loop, most of the time and one departs every 10 seconds.

Has anyone timed at what point the doors open/close? Based on that video, it appears that some of that time-in-station isn't usable load/unload time because the doors are shut. I wasn't able to see at exactly what point they opened because of departing cars blocking the view a bit, but it "looked" like they were still closed until they got even with that large wall on the unload side of the loop.

As to clockwise/counterclockwise, absolutely no clue. :tilt: Could it be as simple as wanting to put even wear and tear on the components? Are the support arms built like fridge doors, do you suppose, with the hinge and "hang" mechanisms able to be switched from one side to the other with the holes pre-drilled?

I don't know what's most common but during this video I took on April 30th they were running in clockwise direction.

I think it has more to do with the character graphics. They need to fit on the large glass section so they will be seen the best without parts of them pulled away...
The majority of the graphics are located on the big glass section and in the winter time or when the windows are closed it won't matter which direction they go..other than what's best for crowd flow.

edit: it may be that the gondola's that are on the Epcot line are just for that line which could mean some new characters we haven't seen yet :)

Last edited:
Has anyone timed at what point the doors open/close? Based on that video, it appears that some of that time-in-station isn't usable load/unload time because the doors are shut. I wasn't able to see at exactly what point they opened because of departing cars blocking the view a bit, but it "looked" like they were still closed until they got even with that large wall on the unload side of the loop.
At your service:

I shot this back on 4/2, but didn't post it because it's so shaky (I was holding the phone above my head with no support.) The covers are still on, but I do believe the cabins were moving at full speed by then.

So you can see them coming into the load area with their doors already open. They appear to slow down to minimum speed just as they pass behind the pillar. The time from there until the doors close is about 28 seconds.

Last edited:

It's not known for certain. There appears to be a box on the roof that could contain a battery or super-capacitor, and things that look like they could be charging prongs to contact a bus bar above the cabins in the station. So there may or may not be some interior low-voltage LED lighting.

There is no reason they couldn't install some solar panels on the roof, with a battery pack system under it, to run an air-conditioner. They could also put some type of charging strips on top that would make contact with a charger system in each station as they pass through. If they take a minute to pass through and then 5 minutes to the next station, they could probably keep these going, running an air conditioner, all day.

There is no reason they couldn't install some solar panels on the roof, with a battery pack system under it, to run an air-conditioner. They could also put some type of charging strips on top that would make contact with a charger system in each station as they pass through. If they take a minute to pass through and then 5 minutes to the next station, they could probably keep these going, running an air conditioner, all day.

Solar would not provide enough power to drive AC.

The rest of your post is basically how this system will work, we have seen the electrical contact that allows charging in the stations and the battery or capacitor bank on the roof. Capacitors seem to be the most common power storage method since they charge very rapidly.

The system in London uses this technique with a capacitor bank to power AC, but supposedly it doesn't work well.

The gondolas will not be air conditioned. This topic has been thoroughly discussed many, many times.

Besides this being a moot issue at this point and that it really hasn't worked well elsewhere, another impediment to A/C: I saw a report that was commissioned in Houston, I believe, for a gondola transportation system, and it was noted that putting a/c in the units would decrease capacity by about 20-25%. I believe this was due to the added weight of the system and the space needed for it. So it's not just simply whether they could do it with having power, but what other effects trying to add it would negatively have.

Maybe I'm overly nervous, but I'm not feeling too comfortable when I'm by myself about being in a closed cabin with roughly 10 strangers way up high where no one's close by to come to my aid if I scream. At least on rides, even the monorail, you're never that far from CMs. What if someone claims "He touched me inappropriately up there". But then, ski gondolas have worked successfully for years, so no doubt I'm worried for nothing.

I agree with everyone else that you should do what makes you comfortable, including passing on any number of gondola cars until there's one you're comfortable using. For different reasons, people pass on buses all the time. They don't want to be on the bus with a gaggle of kids, they can't stand the cologne of the guy in front of them, or they don't want to have to stand, etc. I guarantee that somewhere behind you in line they'll be someone eager to jump ahead and take your place. :)

Personally, I (as a non-criminal, so I admit that my thinking may be way off from that of an actual criminal) wouldn't think a criminal would be terribly interested in a gondola car as a location to do something wrong. There's no easy get-away. Their victim would be coming into contact with the CMs & crowds at the station at the same moment that they are, meaning the victim could create a raucous that would bring a lot of unwanted attention to the criminal immediately.

But again, no matter that thought of mine, I still definitely say that if you are concerned, by all means, opt to pass on that car. :)

As for the safety concerns - as long as it's not too busy, I bet they'd let you request your own.
It's pretty much the same as the monorail, right?

Great photos! So, with lots of concrete work left at the Epcot station, I'm thinking rumored July 4th opening only applies to HS line. Based on recent construction (bus stops, tram areas, etc.), how long does everyone think it will take to finish the Epcot station? Was really hoping to ride Pop-->Epcot in mid August.
I think trying to estimate construction completion dates at WDW is an exercise in futility. Things that look like they should be finished in a couple of weeks take months, and then what looks like a month of work is completed in a week or 2 in a flurry of activity.

It'll be done when Disney wants it to be done.

Agreed, It is truly amazing what can happen over night at Disney, yet other things seemingly take forever.
I'm starting to believe that it will be a phased opening on the skyliner. I'm thinking the dhs line first, followed by the Pop/AOA line then lastly the IG/Riviera line.
I think the bell weather has to be the hub station. IF that looks ready to go then things can happen, without it non of the others will run.

Completion date is directly related to manpower. Disney has a date in mind and will adjust resources to accomplish their goal. All of the current Skyliner Merchandise is dated 2019 so that is an additional part of the equation. It needs to be open in time to exhaust those inventories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter