Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Fair enough. But it also creates the transportation headache we all know so well.

And I've always thought it was that darned lake :headache:. The other parks don't have a large body of water to cross to get out, a traffic engineering nightmare, I do my best to avoid it each trip.

Agreed we finally will have a People Mover.

Anyway, what I came here to ask is, does anyone know when or if IG will be closed completely (albeit temporarily) for construction?

Last edited:
Extending the monorail would be a significant expense and gondolas are cheap and move more people. Gondolas can also run in fairly extreme weather. And there will be gondola cast members to help people find where they are going.
I would rather be in a monorail during a thunderstorm than a gondola, wouldn’t you?

And I've always thought it was that darned lake :headache:. The other parks don't have a large body of water to cross to get out, a traffic engineering nightmare, I do my best to avoid it each trip.

Anyway, what I came here to ask is, does anyone know when or if IG will be closed completely (albeit temporarily) for construction?

I think MK is easier to get out of than Epcot due to monorail, ferry, buses, and launches.

Last edited:
Both are Faraday cages. Gondolas can be brought into the station with a power loss. Monorail has to sit until power is restored.
Hmmm, sitting in the monorail with no power doesn’t sound very magical. Maybe I should rethink my whole monorail position?

I think MK is easier to get out of than Epcot.

Funny, I think its only slightly more difficult than AK, usually park close enough to walk in, don't use the tram, piece of cake.

Hmmm, sitting in the monorail with no power doesn’t sound very magical. Maybe I should rethink my whole monorail position?
You don't like the smell of dirty diapers, and BO, in an enclosed space with 90% humidity at 90+F?

The station itself shouldn't be a problem but I expect some re-configuring of the IG at some point. Either way I doubt they will complete close the IG at any point.

Fair enough. But it also creates the transportation headache we all know so well. I think they might even make up some revenue by doing early fireworks in that more families might stay in the parks during the day, adding an extra meal, rather than returning to hotels for a rest. But you're probably right, the simple solution to the transportation issue would probably cause a drop in some revenue. Though maybe offset by needing fewer transportation options so late in the night?

Man I wish I could dig into Disney Park books and actually look at these issues...

I echo that last thought - or be a fly on the wall when things like this are being discussed. I bet they look at things a lot differently then we think they do, at least in some cases

Holy moly, the DHS station is going to be finished before TSL.

So random thought - given that the station at DHS seems much further along than the one at EPCOT, and the new attractions are opening sooner at DHS. And that the letter new seem pretty independent- any chance they bring the DHS line online sooner and do a stagered opening?

So random thought - given that the station at DHS seems much further along than the one at EPCOT, and the new attractions are opening sooner at DHS. And that the letter new seem pretty independent- any chance they bring the DHS line online sooner and do a stagered opening?
We’ve all assumed they’ll run the cable at the same time since it’s a process not everyone knows how to do. That being said it’d be cool if they did get that up and running first

I would say doubtful as they likely will want to install the cables all at once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter