Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

It will be funny if the big complaint ends up being that it will be too cold at night, "shut the vents!"
I think it will be. Since it was only "warm" fully clothed this time of year.

I guarantee they will need to be shut often in the winter. It was 29 degrees one night we were there.

Uh-oh, so instead of "Death Buckets", we'll have Frozen Ice Buckets!!!! 😉😉😄

Interesting to see that after the EEMH for HS, the HS line will be operating 2 hours before park open. Yet, Epcot only appears to be 1 hour before park opening. I wonder if that changes once Riviera opens (which could explain why it only goes to Dec 15, with Riviera opening on the 16th).

Curious on the POP/AoA schedule, since I will be staying at POP in November.

The door is over 35 inches wide, wider than most doors in normal houses.

Nope. I believe it is a 31.5" opening.

It seems that Disney got the Omega IV which has an 820mm or 32.28" door opening.

That is actually the full opening of the cabin structure. The doors don't swing completely clear, so the opening on that video shows 800mm or 31.4961"

The wheelchair a few seconds later goes straight in with tons of room in a straight-on shot.

Probably. That is a transport chair (4 small wheels and must be pushed) rather than a "standard" wheelchair (with large back wheels to self-propel) so it may be slightly narrower. A standard 18" seat wheelchair is 26" wide and will easily fit through the 31.5" doorways. Some of the larger double strollers may not fit.

Enjoy your vacation!

Who controls opening and closing the vents? CMs on the platforms? Or a CM in a control room? Are they mechanical or manual?

Just an FYI, latest Passport to the Parks Skyliner video

In it he mentions that next week will be "heavy" CM previews and they are able to bring friends and family members and he got invited by several CMs to join them so he will get to ride in a preview next week

I'm so thankful that Rob gets to ride these early! He has been covering the production of these with great enthusiasm and sharing it with us. This is a great perk for him! My DD and I met him last week when he was doing a live stream from Epcot. Such a nice man and I'm happy to see this happening for him!!

That is actually the full opening of the cabin structure. The doors don't swing completely clear, so the opening on that video shows 800mm or 31.4961"
No, 820 mm is the "clear door opening width."

800 x 1200 mm is a common pallet size in Europe. They were demonstrating that freight could be loaded into the cabin on a pallet of that size.

Interesting to see that after the EEMH for HS, the HS line will be operating 2 hours before park open. Yet, Epcot only appears to be 1 hour before park opening. I wonder if that changes once Riviera opens (which could explain why it only goes to Dec 15, with Riviera opening on the 16th).

Curious on the POP/AoA schedule, since I will be staying at POP in November.
I'm thinking Pop will open with the earlier of the 2 lines and close with the later of the 2. No point in running between DHS & CBR to serve only CBR Guests.

I also think the Epcot line will be open the same as DHS to keep Riviera Guests happy after the resort opens. But that makes sense, and Disney doesn't always make sense.

ill be there the 29th for the first rides so will provide day one impressions and reviews ; This new transport actually has me super stoked! i think it will be a hit and i wouldn't be surprised to see the phase 2 (rumored**) part of the line with expansion to AK/AKL and Coronado and DS announced soon

What is the weight limit on these? If you are plus size will you be allowed to ride? Asking for a friend of course lol ??

What is the weight limit on these? If you are plus size will you be allowed to ride? Asking for a friend of course lol ??
Manufacturer spec is 1,800 kg = ‪3,968 lb. = 396 lb. per passenger (avg,)

... And that would be if all 10 "seats" were filled, which we believe pretty strongly won't often be the case with the Skyliner. When Doppelmayr says that it seats 10 adults, they really mean 10 average-sized Swiss or Italian adults, and as a rule, they are a wee bit thinner than the average American. (According to the WHO, the average adult male in Italy is 184 lbs, in Switzerland, 187 lbs, & in the US, 200 lbs. Weight differences in women are more extreme: the average US woman is about 30 lbs heavier than the avg. Swiss or Italian.)

In practice, I believe that a single gondola will very seldom load with more than 8 adults, because standing while the car is airborne is not allowed. You can bet that if Americans (and especially men) find themselves feeling crammed on those benches, someone will decide to ride standing up. We have yet to see exactly what CM's will do if that happens, but giving passengers more space would seem to be the simplest way to prevent that behavior, which would be a lot easier than policing it after it happens.

8 adult passengers per car is still a pretty high load rate; I can't see them forcing guests in any tighter unless they request it.

Last edited:
Nope. I believe it is a 31.5" opening.

Has to be at least 32" or it doesn't meet US ADA code.

I’m going to be very interested to see how they handle the no standing/walking in gondola rule.

I have no desire to stand due to clumsiness.

But I can see contrarians or language barriers causing people to not get the message.

Or small kids who can’t sit still. Though maybe it won’t be a big issue - CMs will just politely discourage it?

During CM trials, do they ask CMs to think or act “outside of the box?” Not in a dangerous way, but it a “clueless how this works and didn’t listen to the message” way?

No, 820 mm is the "clear door opening width."
View attachment 436953

800 x 1200 mm is a common pallet size in Europe. They were demonstrating that freight could be loaded into the cabin on a pallet of that size.
View attachment 436959

Thanks for clarifying, I learned something today :)
I thought it looked like that ghost pallet was barely clearing the doors but it must have been the camera angle (or my eyes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter