Disney Springs Capacity?

quinacciani

Mouseketeer
Leaving for our trip in 3 more sleeps and cannot wait!
We are the type of people that plan our trip around food and love a nice TS meal at the end of each day. I planned out our dinners and am now nervous that I have us booked at the Boathouse on Friday. Does anyone know if Springs was at capacity each weekend night this past weekend? Twitter was inconclusive but it looks like it was Saturday and last night (Sun). I am trying to now move our Springs night to Thursday except that would force me to give up my Sanaa res. It's a shame they can't have that info available in MDE.

Should I be worried? Sitting in a ton of traffic and not even knowing if we will get in is just not my idea of a fun Friday night on vaca. Is there anything to worry about if I move it to Thurs? I know we are going at the end of the holiday week so I feel like it's hard to call.

I can't speak to the weekends or Fridays BUT we were there this past Thursday and it was dead. D.E.A.D. - and we were there for several hours. Ate at boathouse ( lunch - walk up, no reservation) and had drinks at the Hanger Bar (no wait) . All told I think we were there from 11AM until about 3 or 3:30?
Of course, City Walk was fairly last week as well...mind you, we were there Mon-Friday and I'm sure the weekend attendance is much higher than what we experienced!

We ate at DS last Wednesday and it was pretty hopping and I heard over the weekend that it did get to capacity but not until 830pm or so - and I have heard that if you have an ADR and can't get in bc it's at capacity then Disney won't charge you the no-show fee. We had about a 7 min wait to get into WoD vs. this weekend where it was 30 min....

I have heard when they hit capacity they close the parking deck and don't let anyone in, but I wonder what they do about the Disney buses -do they not let in those folks either and actually turn away a Disney bus or do they let them in as folks leave?

Anyone know that??

We have ADRs for both Thursday and Friday nights in early December and I'm thinking we'll get there early-ish for our ADRs so there won't be an issue with it hitting capacity....

Thanks!

I have heard when they hit capacity they close the parking deck and don't let anyone in, but I wonder what they do about the Disney buses -do they not let in those folks either and actually turn away a Disney bus or do they let them in as folks leave?

Anyone know that??

Their FAQ is worded kind of funny on it. It does say this:

"What if the parking garages say they are closed? May I park somewhere else and still visit Disney Springs?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs."

My thoughts are that capacity is capacity regardless of where people were coming from? Otherwise people would just find a way around it. Please post here if you find out more info.

I'm also concerned because we have a reservation at Boathouse on Christmas Day evening (it's our arrival day).... I'm hoping we can get there early enough before they would possibly close to capacity in the evening (crossing fingers to arrive around 3pm). Also hoping most people will want to be in a park that day instead.

Their FAQ is worded kind of funny on it. It does say this:

"What if the parking garages say they are closed? May I park somewhere else and still visit Disney Springs?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs."

My thoughts are that capacity is capacity regardless of where people were coming from? Otherwise people would just find a way around it. Please post here if you find out more info.
Yes, I agree that their FAQ on that situation is questionable - it only references cars parking in the garages and not the Disney buses - maybe since they know they're picking up and dropping off about the same # of people that those numbers are a "wash" for capacity???

Waited over an hour(and I'm not exaggerating here) and no bus to DS came. It was on a Sat night 10/3. We missed our 8:30 dinner. Perhaps DS was at capacity and the busses couldn't bring in more people. Not sure and didn't think of this at the time. We were just annoyed at the wait and not knowing if one was ever coming. Should've try an uber I guess. The other nights we went Thurs and Sun we had no problems.

So if you have an ADR in DS - are you not guaranteed to get seated at the time of your ADR? I thought the point of getting ADRs was to ensure that your reservation would be held. We are within walking distance to DS (staying at SSR), so getting to our ADR at Raglan is an issue, but from what I am reading here - we may not even get to eat there if they reach max capacity? Max capacity should account for ADRs made months in advance.

I personally would not chance a DS ADR right now for dinner. It just seemed too stressful to me.

Since ours is Christmas Day, I also made a reservation for a completely offsite restaurant as a backup, in case we show up and can't get in. That way I'm not stressed about not having a place for supper on Christmas.

So if you have an ADR in DS - are you not guaranteed to get seated at the time of your ADR? I thought the point of getting ADRs was to ensure that your reservation would be held. We are within walking distance to DS (staying at SSR), so getting to our ADR at Raglan is an issue, but from what I am reading here - we may not even get to eat there if they reach max capacity? Max capacity should account for ADRs made months in advance.

Should, but doesn't apparently.

Reading this really makes me glad for the experience we had on the 8th when it was a ghost town.

Since ours is Christmas Day, I also made a reservation for a completely offsite restaurant as a backup, in case we show up and can't get in. That way I'm not stressed about not having a place for supper on Christmas.
Good idea. I had a backup as well and glad I did because we cancelled Boathouse as much as I wanted to try it. Not sure about Xmas, but a weekday at DS is less of a worry than a weekend IMO.

Should, but doesn't apparently.
I am a few days out from being able to make my ARDs - once I do - I will follow up with a call to make sure that making the ADR is even worth it. I would think with the ADR in place you are getting in - you know how many people would be extremely angry if they were turned away due to "max capacity".
FYI - how did you make your ADR for Christmas already? I am making one for Christmas Eve and can't yet...

***NOTE - just made reservation via OpenTable for Raglan at 7pm***

Last edited:
I am a few days out from being able to make my ARDs - once I do - I will follow up with a call to make sure that making the ADR is even worth it. I would think with the ADR in place you are getting in - you know how many people would be extremely angry if they were turned away due to "max capacity".
FYI - how did you make your ADR for Christmas already? I am making one for Christmas Eve and can't yet...

***NOTE - just made reservation via OpenTable for Raglan at 7pm***

Glad you figured it out that you can make (most) DS restaurant ADRs on OpenTable ;)

But yes, people have indeed been turned away when parking is full, regardless of having a ADR. It even says on the website that if you can't get into DS because they are at capacity, that you won't be penalized for calling and canceling your ADR at the last minute.

Will I be able to come to Disney Springs if I have a dining reservation, but the parking garages are full or if Disney Springs is closed due to capacity?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs. This includes Guests who have a booked a dining reservation.

Will I be charged the dining guarantee fee if I cannot make my dining reservation because Disney Springs is closed due to capacity?
No. If a Guest is unable to make their reservation because Disney Springs is closed due to capacity, the dining guarantee charge will be waived.

How will restaurants handle reservations when they reach capacity?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs. This includes Guests who have a booked dining reservation. If a Guest is unable to make their reservation because Disney Springs is closed due to capacity, the dining guarantee charge will be waived.

What if the parking garages say they are closed? May I park somewhere else and still visit Disney Springs?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs.

Glad you figured it out that you can make (most) DS restaurant ADRs on OpenTable ;)

But yes, people have indeed been turned away when parking is full, regardless of having a ADR. It even says on the website that if you can't get into DS because they are at capacity, that you won't be penalized for calling and canceling your ADR at the last minute.

Will I be able to come to Disney Springs if I have a dining reservation, but the parking garages are full or if Disney Springs is closed due to capacity?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs. This includes Guests who have a booked a dining reservation.

Will I be charged the dining guarantee fee if I cannot make my dining reservation because Disney Springs is closed due to capacity?
No. If a Guest is unable to make their reservation because Disney Springs is closed due to capacity, the dining guarantee charge will be waived.

How will restaurants handle reservations when they reach capacity?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs. This includes Guests who have a booked dining reservation. If a Guest is unable to make their reservation because Disney Springs is closed due to capacity, the dining guarantee charge will be waived.

What if the parking garages say they are closed? May I park somewhere else and still visit Disney Springs?
Unfortunately, due to capacity restrictions at Disney Springs, once the parking garages are full, Guests will no longer be able to park and visit Disney Springs.

Limiting people through the check points?: Temperature tents? That makes sense, then there is a choke point where they can control how many come in. I assume the idea would be to be in DS way prior to your ADR.

***Just got this: "After talking to an AMC associate, we were told that Disney Springs would direct people to the newly reopened surface parking. Guests who have previously purchased movie tickets (meaning you’ve already have a confirmed showtime) can let Cast Members know that you have a scheduled movie. The AMC associate also recommended to have your movie ticket receipt handy to show them, so they can help guide you to a place to park. A Disney Cast Member confirmed this, stating that guests with previously purchased tickets are allowed inside “because they’re a part of the capacity.” For those with a dining reservation at Disney Springs, we were given a similar answer. We were told that guests with dining reservations will be permitted to enter, even if Disney Springs is at capacity. "***

Last edited:
Limiting people through the check points?: Temperature tents? That makes sense, then there is a choke point where they can control how many come in. I assume the idea would be to be in DS way prior to your ADR.

***Just got this: "After talking to an AMC associate, we were told that Disney Springs would direct people to the newly reopened surface parking. Guests who have previously purchased movie tickets (meaning you’ve already have a confirmed showtime) can let Cast Members know that you have a scheduled movie. The AMC associate also recommended to have your movie ticket receipt handy to show them, so they can help guide you to a place to park. A Disney Cast Member confirmed this, stating that guests with previously purchased tickets are allowed inside “because they’re a part of the capacity.” For those with a dining reservation at Disney Springs, we were given a similar answer. We were told that guests with dining reservations will be permitted to enter, even if Disney Springs is at capacity. "***

That's what my husband and I were discussing, why wouldn't they just count people that have ADRs in the capacity numbers? Seemed like an easy concept. Just like park reservations.

I'm still confused by the wording on their site "Will I be able to come to Disney Springs if I have a dining reservation, but the parking garages are full or if Disney Springs is closed due to capacity?"

Makes it sound like the parking garages being full doesn't mean it's closed to capacity (or vice versa). Does that mean if they open more parking they might still be closed to capacity once you get to the entrance? Either that or they would have had to have increased capacity numbers when opening more parking (which sounds awful, because it sounds like from people that have been there that it's already been really crowded at current capacity).

Since we can't always count on CMs to have the correct information I guess it's a wait-and-see for real life experiences as people go. Thanksgiving week will be a good test I'm sure.

That's what my husband and I were discussing, why wouldn't they just count people that have ADRs in the capacity numbers? Seemed like an easy concept. Just like park reservations.

I'm still confused by the wording on their site "Will I be able to come to Disney Springs if I have a dining reservation, but the parking garages are full or if Disney Springs is closed due to capacity?"

Makes it sound like the parking garages being full doesn't mean it's closed to capacity (or vice versa). Does that mean if they open more parking they might still be closed to capacity once you get to the entrance? Either that or they would have had to have increased capacity numbers when opening more parking (which sounds awful, because it sounds like from people that have been there that it's already been really crowded at current capacity).

Since we can't always count on CMs to have the correct information I guess it's a wait-and-see for real life experiences as people go. Thanksgiving week will be a good test I'm sure.

I agree, Thanksgiving will be a great test. I know this needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but I just got off the phone with a CM and they said if you have a ADR for DS, you will get in - the issue was parking, not those who arrive on Disney Transportation or walk in. Off subject but I was warned to get to the parks early (rope drop) on the Holiday days (we are going into Epcot on Christmas day) - that they fully expect to max out early in the day at all parks.

I agree, Thanksgiving will be a great test. I know this needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but I just got off the phone with a CM and they said if you have a ADR for DS, you will get in - the issue was parking, not those who arrive on Disney Transportation or walk in. Off subject but I was warned to get to the parks early (rope drop) on the Holiday days (we are going into Epcot on Christmas day) - that they fully expect to max out early in the day at all parks.

We stay offsite, so as far as DS, we can't rely on buses to get us there. I know it'll be a risk, hence the backup plan with a reservation somewhere else that day. I wonder if using Uber/Lyft would work better than driving and needing to park :magnify:

Regarding the actual parks though, the time you get there should be a non-issue, because everyone has to have a park reservation before they get there, and the reservation is good for all day. So there would be no reason you'd get turned away whether you get there at opening or 4 hours later, so you don't have to stress about that. (I plan on rope dropping anyway though, just to maximize park time.)

We stay offsite, so as far as DS, we can't rely on buses to get us there. I know it'll be a risk, hence the backup plan with a reservation somewhere else that day. I wonder if using Uber/Lyft would work better than driving and needing to park :magnify:

Regarding the actual parks though, the time you get there should be a non-issue, because everyone has to have a park reservation before they get there, and the reservation is good for all day. So there would be no reason you'd get turned away whether you get there at opening or 4 hours later, so you don't have to stress about that. (I plan on rope dropping anyway though, just to maximize park time.)
We actually enjoy rope dropping and it does help with at least one walk on or very short wait at an otherwise popular attraction. I wish they would release the "actual" park hours for the Holidays. I know they have the generic hours up but they will change as we get closer to the Holiday dates. I am thinking they will push the park hours to maximize the time, seeing how it will undoubtedly be very busy. I am thinking Epcot for Christmas day will be 10am or 11am to 10pm. At least that is what I am hoping for. It hilarious to say rope drop even at 10am. We are used to getting up at 6am - breakfast by 6:30 and heading to the park by 7am and that's banking 3 FP+s, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter