Disney Springs Resorts VS Onsite

princesskimberella

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are considering taking a quick 3/4 night trip in November, since it would be just us we thought about staying at one of the resorts in the Disney Springs area.

Which ones would be closest to Disney Springs - walking distance ??
Also the sites all say bus service to the parks, how do those run ?? Just like the onsite buses?
Do they offer the perks? Such as extra magic hours ?

Hi, we stayed in the Doubletree Suites Disney Springs a few years ago. That one is furthest from Disney Springs. Your closest would be the Hilton, followed by the Hilton Buena Vista Palace. They do have a bus service and you can get by with it, but I didn't find it as reliable as the Disney buses. We ended up waiting quite a big longer than we typically did when staying in a Disney owned hotel, and the buses drop off further away than Disney owned buses. At MK, you will be dropped off at the transportation center instead of in front of the park. Also be aware, those hotels charge fees. Most have a resort fee and/or a parking fee if you will have a car. Make sure to factor that in when calculating cost vs. staying on site. I believe the Hilton used to offer extra magic hours but stopped a few years ago.

Honestly, I think there are better off-site choices. Unless you will spend most of your time at Disney Springs, there are other options with easier access to the parks. Traffic can be awful, because you are beyond the Springs on the busiest, slowest road in the parks. The perks are not really there, either, unless you are getting perks through reward points. And yes, they all charge resort fees and parking, which the Disney resorts do not.

For convenience, we love Vistana. You can't beat the drive into the parks. Plus, if you get a renovated two bedroom (for the same price as the Doubletree), it includes a hot tub ;)

I've spent 20-40 nights each year at various Disney Springs Hotels over that past several years. You do need to include parking fees (all 7 hotels) and resort fees (all but the DoubleTree Suites) when making comparisons. In many cases, you can stay at a nicer hotel for less than a comparable Disney resort. But, you need to compare the pros and cons.

For me, there are two big pros. First, consider the size of the Disney Springs Hotels. For many, the distance between the bus stop and your room is measured in feet, not tenths of a mile. Being one of 250 rooms instead of one of 1,900 rooms can mean you'll get more personalized service. If you have a problem, you can pick up the phone and talk to someone right downstairs.

The second big pro is the fact that 6 of the 7 hotels participate in frequent guest programs. (The B Resort has announced a program, but it has not yet started.) With frequent guest programs, you earn points that can be redeemed to free nights at that hotel or one of another in the chain. It takes time, but I'm sitting on enough points to get at least 5 free nights at virtually any Hilton hotel in the world. If choose a "lesser" brand like Hampton Inn, I can get more than 5 free nights.

As for cons, you do not get any Disney perks like free parking at theme parks, Magic Bands, Disney's Magical Express, or Extra Magic Hours. You also can't get Fast Passes early.

Transportation from the Disney Springs Hotels is a pro and con. Personally, I like that it is scheduled. Shuttles leave every 30 minutes all day long. The shuttles are run by Mears Transportation, which has been a Disney partner for decades. (They run Disney's Magical Express service.) The con is that each shuttle runs to two different parks. It's usually one to Epcot, then Disney's Hollywood Studios and the other to the Transportation and Ticket Center (transfer to monorail/ferry for Magic Kingdom), then Disney's Animal Kingdom.

This is the information provided at check-in:
dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-front-600x900-small.jpg

dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-back-600x900-small.jpg

As for traffic around Disney Springs, I've never seen it to be a problem with the theme park shuttles. They avoid going past Disney Springs. Instead, they use the same roads that Disney Transportation uses for Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort.

Certainly, having to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center is a big con. But, the bus stop locations at the other three parks are not really out of the way. If anything, it's just an extra 30-40 yards than some of the Disney stops. However, they are uncovered, which can be annoying in inclement weather.

Be sure to check the link above that mjhtvchick posted. It will give you the walking distance from the Marketplace section of Disney Springs to the furthest hotel.

Check the Disney Springs Hotels Marketing Association website for potential discounts: http://disneyspringshotels.com

Please feel free to ask if you have other questions. There are several people here that routinely stay at the Disney Springs Hotels.

We have stayed at the b resort. Really liked it. We don't drive when on holiday in America (we are from the uk) found the shuttles to the Disney parks great. We could walk to the crossroads (not on Disney property) & get supplies at the supermarket. There were also lots of places to eat round that area. We love that you could walk to Disney Springs.

We could walk to the crossroads (not on Disney property) & get supplies at the supermarket.

That's true. I'll add that to my list of "pros" the next time this question gets asked.

Whenever I stay at the DoubleTree Suites, I usually walk over to Crossroads for at least one meal. Pricing at thoe restaurants there aren't as high as Disney or hotel dining. Plus, several are open 24/7.

Thanks for the bus info. My family is kind of freaking out that we're not staying at a Disney resort the next trip. This helps put them at ease. I kind of like the idea of a set schedule rather than wondering when a bus is going to show up. We've had some awful 45 min. waits at various resorts and parks. Also looking forward to easy walk to Disney Springs for shopping and meals.

My husband and I are considering taking a quick 3/4 night trip in November, since it would be just us we thought about staying at one of the resorts in the Disney Springs area.

Which ones would be closest to Disney Springs - walking distance ??
Also the sites all say bus service to the parks, how do those run ?? Just like the onsite buses?
Do they offer the perks? Such as extra magic hours ?
I've also considered the "onsite offsite hotels" that are on Disney property but not owned by Disney. What always stops me from booking them is that by the time you tack on the required nightly resort fees, and the extra transportation costs due to not getting to take Magical Express to and from the airport (we always fly in), the prices aren't better than a Disney moderate. And that's with less convenient transportation, no EMH or 60 day FP+, no gift shop purchases being sent back to the resort, etc.

If their prices after the daily resort fees & the extra transportation were as low as a value, I'd do it. But since I've found those prices to be on par with a moderate, I'd rather go with the Disney moderate and get all the perks.

Last edited:
I kind of like the idea of a set schedule rather than wondering when a bus is going to show up. We've had some awful 45 min. waits at various resorts and parks.

In my experience, they are always right on time, too.

I've also considered the "onsite offsite hotels" that are on Disney property but not owned by Disney. What always stops me from booking them is that by the time you tack on the required nightly resort fees, and the extra transportation costs due to not getting to take Magical Express to and from the airport (we always fly in), the prices aren't better than a Disney moderate. And that's with less convenient transportation, no EMH or 60 day FP+, no gift shop purchases being sent back to the resort, etc.

If their prices after the daily resort fees & the extra transportation I'd need were as low as a value, I'd do it. But since I've found those prices to be on par with a moderate, I'd rather go with the Disney moderate and get all the perks.

Whether you can find a deal can depend on timing. Unlike Disney Resorts, "normal" hotels can have prices that fluctuate a lot. It's not unusual for a hotel to sell the same room for $79 one night and $279 the next.

I do like that you're comparing these hotels to Disney's moderate resorts. With the exception of the Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista, I think that's the correct way to compare. Too often, people tend to compare the Disney Springs Hotels with Disney's value resorts.

Here's an example of very good deal. I have a 4 night reservation at the DoubleTree Suites for next week. I'm paying $89/night for a 540 square foot suite and the cheapest moderate resort is Disney's Coronado Springs Resort at $171 with a Passholder rate. The DoubleTree doesn't have a resort fee (!) but even with parking/airport transfers that would be a good deal. But, I have no problem stating that those types of deals are not happening all the time.

FYI. Each Disney Springs Hotel has a mini Disney store inside. I'm 99% certain you can have your theme park purchases delivered to those stores.

We fluctuate between the Hilton DS & the Holiday Inn- HI used to not charge a resort/service fee but they do now ($15) while Hilton charges $20. If you have AAA you can get a few bucks off of the parking fee (if you have a car) while Hilton is a steep $18 for self-parking. The cancel policy @ HI is 3 days while Hilton is 5 days like the Disney resorts but they don't offer the reschedule option like Disney does (if you're just doing a nightly resort reservation).

We prefer HI over the Hilton as we find the Hilton so huge and very busy. HI is a little easier to navigate and it is only a few minutes further from the Hilton to DS. We have eaten at the restaurant for dinner which was pretty good and they even show a Disney movie on the wall while you eat. Breakfast was "meh"

When the Disney resorts are higher than what we want to pay we head to these hotels. Looking to try Hilton Buena Vista Palace but heard so many bad reviews during renovations just waiting to hear reviews after completion.

We fluctuate between the Hilton DS & the Holiday Inn- HI used to not charge a resort/service fee but they do now ($15) while Hilton charges $20. If you have AAA you can get a few bucks off of the parking fee (if you have a car) while Hilton is a steep $18 for self-parking. The cancel policy @ HI is 3 days while Hilton is 5 days like the Disney resorts but they don't offer the reschedule option like Disney does (if you're just doing a nightly resort reservation).

We prefer HI over the Hilton as we find the Hilton so huge and very busy. HI is a little easier to navigate and it is only a few minutes further from the Hilton to DS. We have eaten at the restaurant for dinner which was pretty good and they even show a Disney movie on the wall while you eat. Breakfast was "meh"

When the Disney resorts are higher than what we want to pay we head to these hotels. Looking to try Hilton Buena Vista Palace but heard so many bad reviews during renovations just waiting to hear reviews after completion.

Hilton costs are creeping up there. From their website ...

Price per night (USD) Plus $30.00 USD resort charge per night.

Hilton costs are creeping up there. From their website ...

Price per night (USD) Plus $30.00 USD resort charge per night.

You're right - not sure why I was thinking $20 and they give you 2 bottles of water and 2 coffees which you have to stand in line for at the gift shop (and that can take a while). I agree, seems we end up at the Holiday Inn because the Hilton pushes just a little too close to the cost of a moderate Disney resort. Was quite bummed when HI added their resort fee but it is still half of what the Hilton charges and the parking fee is almost half too (and it's not such a hike to the car like at the Hilton:earseek:-we use the car a lot and sometimes I think the walk to DS is shorter than the walk to the car!:bitelip::bitelip:

Price wise any way I've ever done the math, ALL resorts in Disney Springs are more expensive than the values onsite.

This being after I add in parking fees, resort fees, etc.

Price wise any way I've ever done the math, ALL resorts in Disney Springs are more expensive than the values onsite.

This being after I add in parking fees, resort fees, etc.
One big difference for families like mine though (2 adults, 3 kids) is some Disney Springs hotels allow 5 to a room. (Disney value resorts do not, unless you book a family suite for twice+ the price.) That said we are trying Windsor Hills for our next trip.

One big difference for families like mine though (2 adults, 3 kids) is some Disney Springs hotels allow 5 to a room. (Disney value resorts do not, unless you book a family suite for twice+ the price.) That said we are trying Windsor Hills for our next trip.

We're a family of 4, and more than 1 night in a standard sized hotel room (I mean value resorts) with two double beds is just out of the question. We're opting for Doubletree in Disney Springs with the two queen bedroom, separate from the kitchen/living room.

We stay at the Disney Springs Resorts a lot. Last year we stayed at the Hilton Buena Vista Palace during renovation and swore I would never go back. Now that the renovations are done we decided to try it again and absolutely loved it! The rooms are very nice and the amenities are wonderful. We are staying there again in February. Disney buses run about every 20 minutes and DSR buses run every 30 minutes plus you know pretty much when to expect them. There are 2 downsides to their buses; the MK bus drops off at the TTC and it usually goes to 2 parks. I love that you are right across the street from DS and you can just pop over there without needing to take a bus or boat.

We stayed at one ONCE and were not impressed (Regal Sun, which is something else now, but I can't remember what). We got a good rate, so even with the parking/resort fee it was comparable to a value, but we thought the place was disorganized, didn't like the food options, and just felt kind of unmagical. We'd spent the night before at a Comfort Suites somewhere over by Turkey Lake Road, and while you don't have the Disney access, it was a better experience in a lot of ways.

I might give one a try again, if the price was right, but we haven't been in a hurry. It always seems a little like the worst of both worlds.

Disney buses run about every 20 minutes and DSR buses run every 30 minutes plus you know pretty much when to expect them.

Just to clarify, the Disney Springs Hotels shuttles run every 30 minutes. They are on a scheduled and in my experience, always punctual.

Transportation Flyer you get at check-in:
dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-front-600x900-small.jpg

dspringshotels-shuttles-may2016-back-600x900-small.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!