Disney Store Permanently Closed 2020

FoxC63

DIS Veteran
I called my local Disney Store which is inside Somerset Mall in Troy Michigan. Yes, they are permanently closed.

When I go to ShopDisney this pops up

Disney Store at Great Lakes Crossing is an outlet. I will add the last time we visited I swore I'd never return however, I had to return an online purchase and was very surprised at the new look. Very clean and organized.

If your local Disney store has closed, please feel free to post and include confirmation as seen above. Thanks @Tink10 ~ Link

I’m thinking this more likely just closing an underperforming store than a sign of things to come. They are still actively hiring Disney Store cast members on the Disney Careers site (it’s actually one of the few positions they are currently hiring).

I know this rumor was also posted on here a month or so ago that all the Disney stores were going to be closing and that was proved to be false. They wouldn’t be hiring if they were shutting them down.

The Disney Store in the Westfarms Mall (CT) has reopened. That's the only one remotely near me anymore.

I’m thinking this more likely just closing an underperforming store than a sign of things to come. They are still actively hiring Disney Store cast members on the Disney Careers site (it’s actually one of the few positions they are currently hiring).

I know this rumor was also posted on here a month or so ago that all the Disney stores were going to be closing and that was proved to be false. They wouldn’t be hiring if they were shutting them down.

I saw your original post but it's not a rumor, stores are permanently closing. Our location was always busy that's why we were so surprized to see it close in the first place. No signs, no going out of business sale, nothing.
To be clear, I'm not stating Disney is closing all their stores and I sincerely hope they don't, the prospect of so many losing their jobs is gut wrenching. The fact you see help wanted very well could be the CM's had to find work elsewhere during the pandemic. :flower3:

I checked a nearby store in the Aurora IL mall. It was closed permanently. The closest is in the outlet mall about 5mi(?) away, also in Aurora. Upon further searching the closure was Sept 2019 so not related to Covid.

We have a Disney outlet here in Myrtle Beach and I just checked and it's open. Just from 12 to 5 daily. Remember when Disney Stores were AMAZING? It was like a sample of all of the awesomeness that is Disney! What the heck happened? Whose big bright idea was it to turn it into the garbage that it is now? It used to have really cool lighting and looked the part of a Disney store. Now it's all kiddie junk and princess wear. I remember when they had art and all kinds of things for adults to collect as well as some kids stuff. It was an upscale store that you couldn't wait to go into. I hate that everything gets dumbed down for the masses and the almighty dollar.

We have a Disney outlet here in Myrtle Beach and I just checked and it's open. Just from 12 to 5 daily. Remember when Disney Stores were AMAZING? It was like a sample of all of the awesomeness that is Disney! What the heck happened? Whose big bright idea was it to turn it into the garbage that it is now? It used to have really cool lighting and looked the part of a Disney store. Now it's all kiddie junk and princess wear. I remember when they had art and all kinds of things for adults to collect as well as some kids stuff. It was an upscale store that you couldn't wait to go into. I hate that everything gets dumbed down for the masses and the almighty dollar.
I know what you mean. The store here is still very nice but the selection has really slimmed down to 99.9% young kids stuff, mostly princess dresses and plastic playsets. Guess those have the highest price margins but the store is no longer interesting to visit.

I know what you mean. The store here is still very nice but the selection has really slimmed down to 99.9% young kids stuff, mostly princess dresses and plastic playsets. Guess those have the highest price margins but the store is no longer interesting to visit.
I remember visiting pre-millenium and buying Little Mermaid collector plates. They're 3d sculptures on the plates. There were 3 scenes. They're my DW's favorite gift. Would love to find stuff like this at the store. Can't even find adult t-shirts anymore.

I went to our Columbus OH Disney store today (found out it was open when we went to the mall for something else) and was wearing my Minnie shirt, my Minnie face mask, my Mickey reading glasses hanging from my shirt neck line, and holding my Disney park wallet. The employee greeted me happily. As I left, I saw a woman going in wearing an AK tshirt with a lounge fly Pink Disney backpack with ears on it. It made me so happy to get a little touch of Disney. They also sold individual masks for $5.99 like the ones in the park (and the one I was wearing)

I went to our Columbus OH Disney store today (found out it was open when we went to the mall for something else) and was wearing my Minnie shirt, my Minnie face mask, my Mickey reading glasses hanging from my shirt neck line, and holding my Disney park wallet. The employee greeted me happily. As I left, I saw a woman going in wearing an AK tshirt with a lounge fly Pink Disney backpack with ears on it. It made me so happy to get a little touch of Disney. They also sold individual masks for $5.99 like the ones in the park (and the one I was wearing)
Interesting! Polaris? It’s listed as closed on Shop Disney. I may have to make a trip.

something else to keep in mind - the information on Google may not be 100% accurate. Google users can suggest an edit on any business listing and Google isn't the best at verifying the accuracy of things. So if you're getting different information from the Disney website vs Google, I would trust the Disney website.

Interesting! Polaris? It’s listed as closed on Shop Disney. I may have to make a trip.

yep! We were pleasantly surprised it was open! They played a similar announcement as in the parks about keeping your mask on and keeping 6 foot distance (in the same voice as the parks too). They even had some new items. The manager is hoping to get the Minnie attraction items (but said she probably wouldn’t get the Peter Pan ones).

It's pretty lame now, yep. I still vividly remember going in there in the summer of 1998 hunting for any signs of Lion King 2 merchandise and what we could possibly deduce about the movie on the rumor mill based on the merch, ha. I used to love the ceramic character figurines, I had a cub Kovu and Tramp for a long time, until I moved out of my parents' house. I sold most of it on eBay and kind of regret not keeping a couple things for my kids. Especially since now it's not a very fun store to be in anymore.

The UK used to have Disney Stores in almost every town in the country. Now there's just a handful, and there's been around a couple of stores that have permanently closed lately. We've not had a new permanent store open in around 8 years, which has got me wondering about their future.

Good news to hear, it is still listed as closed online. My daughter has been asking to go for weeks.

The Disney Store at the St Johns Town Center here in Jacksonville is also permanently closed.

I always thought that location was pretty poor, kind of towards the end. But it was kind of close to the Apple store...

I had no idea that closed! Haven't been to the town center in a bit but that really sucks :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!