Disney Store Permanently Closed 2020

We used to have 2 Disney stores back in the day before they sold it to the Children's Place. When they purchased them back, they both closed and that has been years. The closest store to us is 166 miles away in the Kansas City area. So about a 3 hour drive from us. I really miss them. Before we had kids, I worked at one part time to get cast member status. Got great room discounts at WDW.

Some of these could also be leases that are up for renewal that they have decided to not renew. I remember the last round of store closings about a decade ago(?) that's what happened. When the leases expired the company opted not to renew them.

Some of these could also be leases that are up for renewal that they have decided to not renew. I remember the last round of store closings about a decade ago(?) that's what happened. When the leases expired the company opted not to renew them.
They still seem to be shedding stores years after the fallout that was TCP, and because the pandemic has really taken a hit on physical retail, it's unsurprising that they'd be doing more culling. And it's especially threatening the older stores that haven't seen a refurbishment in decades, as much as I'd still like to see one being preserved as a piece of Disney history. Even before the pandemic, the halcyon days of the Disney Store's peak have been long gone, and although they're steering their range back to the equal mix of toys and adult-oriented merch, it's still a far cry from what they once had.

Brick and Mortar is dead anyway.
Well, Disney have for years been innovators in experiential retail, with the Imagination Park and P30 formats having been built with interactivity in mind from the onset. The original idea for the former format IIRC was to have 'till-less' stores like the Apple Stores, but ultimately, they decided to keep the traditional 'box office' till areas instead. However, Disney still have a mix of formats from over the years, including the original Pink and Green format, which although holds a lot of nostalgic value to many people in here, it is becoming very outdated, and as much as I love the older stores, I often find stores with older fascias to be a sign of struggle, since most chains tend to heavily invest in their stores, and usually do so at a rapid pace to ensure they're ahead of the competition.

The Disney Store in Queens Center Mall in Elmhurst NY is closed but the one in Times Square is open.
I’m thinking it’s because in NYC (which queens is under) malls are not allowed to open. So since The Disney Store is within the mall, it can’t open.

The Disney Store at Roosevelt Field Mall in garden city is open

I’m thinking it’s because in NYC (which queens is under) malls are not allowed to open. So since The Disney Store is within the mall, it can’t open.

The Disney Store at Roosevelt Field Mall in garden city is open
That's rather odd. Unless municipalities have the power to impose their own measures, I thought only the state could do that?

I called my local Disney Store which is inside Somerset Mall in Troy Michigan. Yes, they are permanently closed.
View attachment 512427

When I go to ShopDisney this pops up
View attachment 512428

Disney Store at Great Lakes Crossing is an outlet. I will add the last time we visited I swore I'd never return however, I had to return an online purchase and was very surprised at the new look. Very clean and organized.

If your local Disney store has closed, please feel free to post and include confirmation as seen above. Thanks @Tink10 ~ Link

This is really sad - there are so few Disney Stores in SE Michigan as it is! I remember growing up in the 1990s there was Disney Store and a Warner Bros. Studio Store across the hall from each other at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor. A kid's dream!

This is really sad - there are so few Disney Stores in SE Michigan as it is! I remember growing up in the 1990s there was Disney Store and a Warner Bros. Studio Store across the hall from each other at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor. A kid's dream!

I honestly have to say the Disney Outlet store, at Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills, MI looks very impressive. It's clean, organized and has some current items otherwise still a pass. It's too far and majority of "outlet items" are from two or more years old.

NYC is at a different phase of reopening than most of the rest of NY.
No it’s in phase 4 as well. Cuomo just is not allowing indoor dining or indoor malls to open within NYC. But everywhere else in the state they are allowed.

Okay, so someone fix my memory. I thought they announced a few years ago that they made a deal with (Target?) to host the Disney stores INSIDE Target stores as a separate "section". I had assumed with that announcement that the brick and morter Disney stores (*with the exception of Disney Springs and MCO) were going to go away anyway.

Okay, so someone fix my memory. I thought they announced a few years ago that they made a deal with (Target?) to host the Disney stores INSIDE Target stores as a separate "section". I had assumed with that announcement that the brick and morter Disney stores (*with the exception of Disney Springs and MCO) were going to go away anyway.
They did make that deal, but if I remember correctly it was only a handful of Target stores that were getting this mini-Disney store (less than 10 in the US).

They did make that deal, but if I remember correctly it was only a handful of Target stores that were getting this mini-Disney store (less than 10 in the US).

New Disney stores in 25 Target locations opened Friday across the country - Aug 25, 2019.

Another 40 locations are expected to open by October 2020, and a new Target store is planned for 2021 at the western entrance of the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida at Flamingo Crossings Town Center. Link

Nice, Disney merchandise can be purchased at Target online and in store.
Went to Target yesterday to pick up Sven

Originally posted Updated Disney Gift Card Deals and More

I haven't read anywhere that Disney has announced the closing of all the Disney stores, so I believe its def a rumor. Yea, some stores are closing but it seems to be isolated to how specific stores are performing. Sure, they might've been doing great last year but for past 5 months, especially stores in a mall, have been struggling bigtime and its not going to get any better for the rest of this year. The stores closing seem to be based off performance and the decision is specific to each individual store. Its not just Disney stores closing, there are literally thousands of stores closing everywhere rite now.

They still seem to be shedding stores years after the fallout that was TCP, and because the pandemic has really taken a hit on physical retail, it's unsurprising that they'd be doing more culling. And it's especially threatening the older stores that haven't seen a refurbishment in decades, as much as I'd still like to see one being preserved as a piece of Disney history. Even before the pandemic, the halcyon days of the Disney Store's peak have been long gone, and although they're steering their range back to the equal mix of toys and adult-oriented merch, it's still a far cry from what they once had.

We have no older stores left around here. One ended the lease and apple moved in. I can't remember who moved into the other. I remember being surprised when they opened a new store in the new outlets in 2012....

Are any of the Minnie Mouse Main attraction items at the stores? I really wanted the Peter Pan mug but only got selected for the ears

Are any of the Minnie Mouse Main attraction items at the stores? I really wanted the Peter Pan mug but only got selected for the ears

mat the Columbus Ohio area store she said they do get them but probably wouldn’t get the Peter Pan one. I asked because there was a display with a few older items in it (that weren’t being sold currently in the store)

Minnie Mouse Main Attraction will only be on-line so crowds do not line up at the open stores. Our store just had March’s teacup line left to sell. We won’t be getting any others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter