Disney to start charging for bags

NaturalNine

Aussie Adventurer
DCL Update: Plastic Bags

Effective today, March 1, 2019, plastic shopping bags will be eliminated onboard the ships and at Disney Castaway Cay.
Reusable shopping bags will be available in three sizes (small, medium and large) and can be purchased for $1.
Guests who wish to bring their own bags or hand carry their own items may do so.

Please note, select luxury brands will offer paper bags for their high-end products.

Guests who use Package Pickup for items purchased on Castaway Cay will be asked to purchase a reusable bag so their items can be delivered to their stateroom.

The elimination of plastic shopping bags and the sale of the reusable shopping bags will be as follows:
Disney Dream – March 1, 2019
Disney Fantasy – March 2, 2019
Disney Magic – March 2, 2019
Disney Castaway Cay – March 3, 2019
Disney Wonder – March 10, 2019

I find this very annoying. I am all for reducing, reusing and recycling. I always bring my grocery bags with me to the store at home. But I'm going to have to remember to bring a bag with me to Castaway Cay? Or if I pop into the stores on the ship to poke around before or after a show, I'll have to remember to run up to our room for a bag? Or just hold all my stuff through the show? Aren't they already charging us for the bag when we purchase items from their store? I'm sure the cost of the bag was built into the price of the goods.

Honestly, they are probably doing me a favor. Since I will never remember to just carry a bag with me at all times, and I won't want to keep purchasing bags, I'll probably buy less in their stores. Thanks DCL.

Aren't they already charging us for the bag when we purchase items from their store? I'm sure the cost of the bag was built into the price of the goods.

It's not about cost, it's about environmental impact. These bags aren't recyclable and end up in landfills, blowing around on the ground, or floating in your water supply. This is part of the initiative that got rid of plastic straws. It's a good thing, though I know most people don't care about anything except their inconveniences. In reality, such small changes won't be noticed and a few years from now people will wonder why it wasn't done sooner.

It's not about cost, it's about environmental impact. These bags aren't recyclable and end up in landfills, blowing around on the ground, or floating in your water supply. This is part of the initiative that got rid of plastic straws. It's a good thing, though I know most people don't care about anything except their inconveniences. In reality, such small changes won't be noticed and a few years from now people will wonder why it wasn't done sooner.

And 30 years ago, when people wanted water, they got it from a tap, not from a bottle. I think water bottles are probably a million times worst than the straws.

At home for me, I probably use about 10 straws a year. With the grandkids, we might go with a 100 count box once a year. At disney, I probably use 2 a day. So yes, I like the convenience while at disney.

Add me to the ones that keep bags in both cars for grocery shopping.

And then we will reach the point where all the reusable bags will fill the landfills, blowing around on the ground, or floating in the water supply since people forget to take them to the stores, buy new ones for $1, and end up with an overflowing collection of reusable bags in the pantry.
Eh, I suppose it's a small step - I'm just a glass-half-empty person... :-)

We were just in WDW in February and, though they we were still given the option of using the old plastic bags (I'm assuming they still have tons of inventory and will use them until the are gone), we ended up buying two of the new reusable bags because they are SO DARN cute and are a souvenir in their own right! Really good quality and, for $1, it was the cheapest souvenir I've ever purchased in WDW.

And 30 years ago, when people wanted water, they got it from a tap, not from a bottle. I think water bottles are probably a million times worst than the straws.
Absolutely water bottles are bad. I don't know they have many on DCL so it's not a big issue in this topic. Single use water bottles probably should be banned, but imagine the outrage. You could switch to 5 gallon reusable bottles or water filters, but those sound like commie plots.

And then we will reach the point where all the reusable bags will fill the landfills, blowing around on the ground, or floating in the water supply since people forget to take them to the stores, buy new ones for $1, and end up with an overflowing collection of reusable bags in the pantry.
Eh, I suppose it's a small step - I'm just a glass-half-empty person... :-)

Most reusable bags are biodegradable while plastic bottles/straws/bags/etc will take 1,000 years to degrade. The problem with eliminating bags, straws, etc, people say it is too small to make a difference. So you do nothing. But small steps add up. The amount of plastic trash loose in water sources is a growing problem. And with a 1,000 year life span, the current trash pile isn't getting smaller.

Ack. Am I the only person who has noticed that the more “environmentally friendly” we get, the more trash we make? Also, we don’t reuse nearly as many things as we used to. Finally, has anyone ever given two thoughts about how things are recycled (hint: it takes electricity which is made by burning fossil fuels)? Or that plastic, when broken down creates noxious fumes?

The most biodegradable option (also highly reusable) are paper bags. Yet, companies don’t go back to using them, because they costs the companies more money than plastic does. Instead, they promote “reusable” bags and pass the costs on to consumers. The reusable bags don’t last forever so more and more will eventually fill the trash heaps and because they are coated in plastic will take much longer to break down than paper sacks (you know, the kind that used to come FREE from every store?).

So, customers are once again being charged more and given less. AND the companies have convinced consumers that it’s not about the money (which it IS—it is ALWAYS about the money).

My gripe is that we used to get food in glass, cardboard, foil and occasionally some waxed paper.

Now, we get plastic, plastic, plastic-coated paper, more plastic and styrofoam. Just look at the packaging the next time you shop. How many times do you have to take something out of plastic? Or what about those horrible clamshell plastic packages you have to cut open to get the product out? Even Hershey bars went to those weird foil colored plastic wrappers instead of the paper and foil they used to used to use. Yet, the uproar from environmental groups always seems to be about bags or straws — never about things like packaging that actually has a much larger impact.

Sorry about the rant, but these threads come up all the time with people congratulating themselves for being so environmentally conscious and defending the companies. The companies are NOT making these decisions for the environment. They are thinking about profit first and PR second. For them, a decision like this is win-win.

I would be more convinced if they’d go back to free paper sacks.

Unless you are buying a crap-ton of stuff, you can also just take it back to your cabin. The ships are not THAT big. I did that on the Wonder a couple of weeks ago - bought my 2 sweat shirts, 1 turvis wine cup, and rainbow Mickey pin and just took them back to my cabin. It did not take that long, and I would have been heading right back to my cabin to drop off the bag anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter