Disney to start charging for bags

I think this is a great change. Sure, I'll miss my 'laundry bag' but I can bring a pillow case or something else to serve that particular purposes onboard. I'm pretty happy with all these changes for the environment even if people are claiming they are cost cutting. I guarantee you those paper straws onboard cost more than the plastic ones (for example).

Disney is still giving out plastic bags at the checkout, but they are making you pay a dollar for them. I have one I purchased from the Disney store in my local mall. It is a synthetic bag and much larger than the bag I actually needed. It is barely multi-use, because it is thin and crappy. Believe me I will not fall for this again. I will just order stuff from disney online and get free packaging. Pretty scary that Disney has convinced so many people that they are helping the environment by purchasing a bag instead of receiving one, or by juggling overpriced plastic items purchased in the store in your own hands. All of this feel good virtue signaling is so 2018 if you ask me.

On a side note, the anti-plastic campaign has got to stop. Someone needs to defend plastic. People are so jaded nowadays that they forget what a marvel plastic is. Without it, we wouldn't have catheters or heart stents, fire retardent materials or cars or tennis shoes or legos-- to name just a few. And the idea that plastic doesn't biodegrade is also a canard. Anyone who has left a plastic toy in the backyard for a couple of years can see this with their own eyes. I really doubt the "research" put forward on this topic. I am not saying we should not care about the environment, but people need to think more critically instead of just accepting what they are told my self-interested non nonprofits and corporations.
I've actually had plastic bags with stuff stored in the basement that have crumbled in my hands, so yeah, that does surprise me. Maybe it doesn't biodegrade, but the binders do? So you get all these microscopic pieces of plastic?

My mother said the same thing but then she needed a small surgery and had some mobility issues. Grocery delivery was a godsend for her to still maintain her independence. Now she’s a full blown convert and has convinced half her church circle and quilting clubs (mostly 60s and 70s) to try it. She’s always sending me messages about her referral bonuses. This is such a game changer for disabled and aging people.
I don't doubt that it serves a purpose at times but while I am able bodied, I will shop for myself.

Why don't they just deliver items to your stateroom, kinda like how they deliver to your resort at the parks? No bags, and they could even charge a small convenience fee or be nice and include it as part of the services already offered. They could even offer an option to ship to your home the items from the ship.

Probably pre-packaged items with a specific weight assigned.
gettyimages-466696262-1542742395.jpg
Look at all that wasted plastic!!:P

My mother said the same thing but then she needed a small surgery and had some mobility issues. Grocery delivery was a godsend for her to still maintain her independence. Now she’s a full blown convert and has convinced half her church circle and quilting clubs (mostly 60s and 70s) to try it. She’s always sending me messages about her referral bonuses. This is such a game changer for disabled and aging people.

I was house bound for a couple years and grocery delivery was a God send. Our independently owned grocery stores deliver because we have an exceptionally high percentage of senior citizens living here.

Anybody got a pic of the new DCL reusable bags? All the auctions on eBay are for WDW, but I was hoping that DCL would have its own.

Which is paid for by our taxes.

Except citizens of a state or city can decide they’d rather not have their tax dollars going to support bag use by others and it becomes a use fee for those that still decide they need plastic bags to offset clean up costs. In DC it goes to the Anacostia River.

It’s not stealing. Stores are still free to decide they don’t want to purchase bags for their customers and some decide to continue to carry them as a customer service. Stores weren’t making money on bags before, so even after the use fee is passed to the government they aren’t worse off.

Except citizens of a state or city can decide they’d rather not have their tax dollars going to support bag use by others and it becomes a use fee for those that still decide they need plastic bags to offset clean up costs. In DC it goes to the Anacostia River.

It’s not stealing. Stores are still free to decide they don’t want to purchase bags for their customers and some decide to continue to carry them as a customer service. Stores weren’t making money on bags before, so even after the use fee is passed to the government they aren’t worse off.

Seriously, I need to move to this magical state that lets you decide how your tax money is spent. Where exactly is that?

Seriously, I need to move to this magical state that lets you decide how your tax money is spent. Where exactly is that?

Do you not live somewhere where you vote on municiple bond issues, property tax raises, school funding bonds, or toll roads? Just this past midterm election my ballot had 3 different tax/funding issues on it deciding if we wanted to increase spending on certain projects. You also get to vote for your city and state representatives who explain their tax and budget proposals.

And, several cities have had votes on whether consumers should pay for plastic bag use fees to support clean up. This isn’t something magical...it’s the basic election process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter