Disney to start charging for bags

Do you not live somewhere where you vote on municiple bond issues, property tax raises, school funding bonds, or toll roads? Just this past midterm election my ballot had 3 different tax/funding issues on it deciding if we wanted to increase spending on certain projects. You also get to vote for your city and state representatives who explain their tax and budget proposals.

And, several cities have had votes on whether consumers should pay for plastic bag use fees to support clean up. This isn’t something magical...it’s the basic election process.

No, I live in the second most taxed state in the Country that is run by idiots. Who in turn are voted in by idiots. I keep begging my DH to get the heck out of here. They all like their money here and rarely put these things to a vote.

No, I live in the second most taxed state in the Country that is run by idiots. Who in turn are voted in by idiots. I keep begging my DH to get the heck out of here. They all like their money here and rarely put these things to a vote.
California . That's where I am and your describing it to a tea.

Cheap and tacky! If Disney was really concerned for the environment they would offer paper bags made out of recycled paper. Paper bags are biodegradable. The "reusable" ones they are selling will still eventually end up in a landfill or the ocean. They are not biodegradable even if they are partly made from recycled materials. Disney is just padding their own pockets and trying to make it sound like they care about the environment. Shame on Disney!

Let's remember to keep this on topic please. State policies are not related to DCL. Thanks!

Cheap and tacky! If Disney was really concerned for the environment they would offer paper bags made out of recycled paper. Paper bags are biodegradable. The "reusable" ones they are selling will still eventually end up in a landfill or the ocean. They are not biodegradable even if they are partly made from recycled materials. Disney is just padding their own pockets and trying to make it sound like they care about the environment. Shame on Disney!

That is what we have done in my city... plastic bags are not allowed so we have paper ones everywhere.

I have often wished Disney would ask if you need a bag when you buy something... that feels standard everywhere else I've gone and I bet it would have saved so many of them. CMs often seem shocked when I decline a bag, even when I point out my backpack. :confused3

That is what we have done in my city... plastic bags are not allowed so we have paper ones everywhere.

I have often wished Disney would ask if you need a bag when you buy something... that feels standard everywhere else I've gone and I bet it would have saved so many of them. CMs often seem shocked when I decline a bag, even when I point out my backpack. :confused3

Hear, hear, I agree.

We try to always carry with us when shopping, cloth bags for our purchases but when we forget I either ask for a paper bag or just say I do not need one and then I poke my purchases into my purse/snapsack/etc. However, we do occasionally use the paper bags from the grocery because we reuse them for garbage bags - just as out parents did in the olden days. We have a compost can, a "deposit" can, a recycle can, a garbage can for "dry" (with paper bag liner), and a small garbage can for wet, i.e., a coffee container that can be dumped into the outside garbage can and then rinsed for reuse.

Ack. Am I the only person who has noticed that the more “environmentally friendly” we get, the more trash we make? Also, we don’t reuse nearly as many things as we used to. Finally, has anyone ever given two thoughts about how things are recycled (hint: it takes electricity which is made by burning fossil fuels)? Or that plastic, when broken down creates noxious fumes?

The most biodegradable option (also highly reusable) are paper bags. Yet, companies don’t go back to using them, because they costs the companies more money than plastic does. Instead, they promote “reusable” bags and pass the costs on to consumers. The reusable bags don’t last forever so more and more will eventually fill the trash heaps and because they are coated in plastic will take much longer to break down than paper sacks (you know, the kind that used to come FREE from every store?).

So, customers are once again being charged more and given less. AND the companies have convinced consumers that it’s not about the money (which it IS—it is ALWAYS about the money).

My gripe is that we used to get food in glass, cardboard, foil and occasionally some waxed paper.

Now, we get plastic, plastic, plastic-coated paper, more plastic and styrofoam. Just look at the packaging the next time you shop. How many times do you have to take something out of plastic? Or what about those horrible clamshell plastic packages you have to cut open to get the product out? Even Hershey bars went to those weird foil colored plastic wrappers instead of the paper and foil they used to used to use. Yet, the uproar from environmental groups always seems to be about bags or straws — never about things like packaging that actually has a much larger impact.

Sorry about the rant, but these threads come up all the time with people congratulating themselves for being so environmentally conscious and defending the companies. The companies are NOT making these decisions for the environment. They are thinking about profit first and PR second. For them, a decision like this is win-win.

I would be more convinced if they’d go back to free paper sacks.

This exactly!!!!!!

I find this new policy annoying, because we love the WDW and DCL plastic bags. We reuse them over and over, for putting shoes in suitcases when traveling, to holding wet bathing suits, to holding wet ponchos, etc. We reuse them until they fall apart...which is usually quite a while because they are pretty high quality. (Much better than the crinkly grocery store or Walmart bags.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter