Disney: Too crowded and too much money

I wonder - those that do the "behind the scenes" tours etc - does that enhance or diminish the magic?

We hadn't been for several years (I think 5) and went back this year. The Magic was certainly there - but then again I "cheated" on that - we were with two of our grandchildren for their first time. Magic raised exponentially!

We did “keys to the kingdom” last year, and I thought it was a great enhancement. Between YouTube and the internet in general, there aren’t really any secrets anymore, but we still learned quite a bit and really enjoyed the “peak behind the curtain” aspect. I will add, we are adults, but I think even young teens would appreciate it. We have done “Behind the Seeds” in Epcot a couple times. I plan to do more of these... The AKL kitchen tours a still free, and we will be doing that in a January. For me, it adds another layer of appreciation to “the magic”.

I have stayed in all the tiers of resorts for the experience. I don't need to stay deluxe. I don't want to pay for it. I can visit those resorts without paying for those resorts like with dining there. I don't feel the moderates are worth the money comparing them to the values.

We stay value all the time, now. We have the freedom to pick our time to go; so, we make sure we get the free dining promo. We will upgrade the dining plan. If they stop the free dining promo I will take a long rest from going to Disney World.

I'm a fanatic to make sure we get the free dining plan, the best fastpasses and the best dining experiences. I will try for additional fastpasses, too at the parks once we are there. I do my homework. I'm very successful but it takes time to do it. I go as far as to make sure we do very little backtracking through the parks.

I use most of the extra magic hours available especially the morning time ones.

I won't pay for too many extras like dessert parties.

With this strategy it works for us and I feel we get value. It does become somewhat of a job to get a trip organized.

We have done Disney World for over 40 years. There were economic times were Disney was struggling a bit and then you could get some bargains with resorts. We did deluxe when it made more sense.

Now, we go back every 3-5 years. I feel there's enough new to see that way to make it more worthwhile. There was a time we would go there three to four times a year and buy annual passes, but not anymore.

We went in 2017 and I may return in 2021 for the big event. To be honest I think that will be our last trip there. We went to Disneyland's 50th and we have not been there again.

Disney World was our honeymoon, we took our kids there and then our grandkids. We will be taking our great grand kids in 2021 I hope and we will be done. I hate to think what the prices will be that year. I went in 2000 for the millennium and it was quite high to stay onsite.

OP here. I didn't even realize I had started this thread until I clicked on it. We still come down to WDW every year. We have 3 children 15, 15 and 9. We visit the end of August now (get a great price on deluxe resorts). My husband is done with Disney but goes because he knows the rest of us love it. He does not come to the parks anymore. He stays at the resort and hangs out at the pool and goes to the gym to work out, have lunch etc. Myself and my children visit the parks but only for around 4-5 hours a day. We don't like commando and arrive at the parks around 11 and then leave before dinner. Every night we all go to a nice sit down dinner at one of the resorts or downtown Disney. All in all we love to go and spend a lot of time at the resorts, relaxing, swimming and eating some good food. We find the vacation very relaxing and I am a big time planner so have all our fp's and reservations set. This year the one issue I had was using the Disney app in the parks. It never worked and it was extremely annoying and all I could think is, this billion dollar company can't get this very important APP to work? I can't believe how expensive the prices of the tickets have gotten to get into the parks. Since we don't go for full days to the parks, I know we are not getting our moneys worth but don't like leaving the park exhausted and really enjoy spending time at the resorts. I remember around 9 years ago? when Disney was going to discontinue the "no expire" tickets. At that time I thought of buying 10 day tickets and I remember they cost around $400 but you could use them one at a time, not like the ones today that once you use them they expire within 10 days. I also remember around the same time, Universal having an online special for a full week of tickets for both of their parks for $80. I also considered buying them. You could buy them and they didn't expire until you activated them. We are not universal fans but that was the best bargain ever.

I have stayed in all the tiers of resorts for the experience. I don't need to stay deluxe. I don't want to pay for it. I can visit those resorts without paying for those resorts like with dining there. I don't feel the moderates are worth the money comparing them to the values.

We stay value all the time, now. We have the freedom to pick our time to go; so, we make sure we get the free dining promo. We will upgrade the dining plan. If they stop the free dining promo I will take a long rest from going to Disney World.

I'm a fanatic to make sure we get the free dining plan, the best fastpasses and the best dining experiences. I will try for additional fastpasses, too at the parks once we are there. I do my homework. I'm very successful but it takes time to do it. I go as far as to make sure we do very little backtracking through the parks.

I use most of the extra magic hours available especially the morning time ones.

I won't pay for too many extras like dessert parties.

With this strategy it works for us and I feel we get value. It does become somewhat of a job to get a trip organized.

We have done Disney World for over 40 years. There were economic times were Disney was struggling a bit and then you could get some bargains with resorts. We did deluxe when it made more sense.

Now, we go back every 3-5 years. I feel there's enough new to see that way to make it more worthwhile. There was a time we would go there three to four times a year and buy annual passes, but not anymore.

We went in 2017 and I may return in 2021 for the big event. To be honest I think that will be our last trip there. We went to Disneyland's 50th and we have not been there again.

Disney World was our honeymoon, we took our kids there and then our grandkids. We will be taking our great grand kids in 2021 I hope and we will be done. I hate to think what the prices will be that year. I went in 2000 for the millennium and it was quite high to stay onsite.
What a great post! We just welcomed our first grandchild to the family, and looking forward to at least 25 more Disney years. Love your story.

OP here. I didn't even realize I had started this thread until I clicked on it. We still come down to WDW every year. We have 3 children 15, 15 and 9. We visit the end of August now (get a great price on deluxe resorts). My husband is done with Disney but goes because he knows the rest of us love it. He does not come to the parks anymore. He stays at the resort and hangs out at the pool and goes to the gym to work out, have lunch etc. Myself and my children visit the parks but only for around 4-5 hours a day. We don't like commando and arrive at the parks around 11 and then leave before dinner. Every night we all go to a nice sit down dinner at one of the resorts or downtown Disney. All in all we love to go and spend a lot of time at the resorts, relaxing, swimming and eating some good food. We find the vacation very relaxing and I am a big time planner so have all our fp's and reservations set. This year the one issue I had was using the Disney app in the parks. It never worked and it was extremely annoying and all I could think is, this billion dollar company can't get this very important APP to work? I can't believe how expensive the prices of the tickets have gotten to get into the parks. Since we don't go for full days to the parks, I know we are not getting our moneys worth but don't like leaving the park exhausted and really enjoy spending time at the resorts. I remember around 9 years ago? when Disney was going to discontinue the "no expire" tickets. At that time I thought of buying 10 day tickets and I remember they cost around $400 but you could use them one at a time, not like the ones today that once you use them they expire within 10 days. I also remember around the same time, Universal having an online special for a full week of tickets for both of their parks for $80. I also considered buying them. You could buy them and they didn't expire until you activated them. We are not universal fans but that was the best bargain ever.

I love your husband's WDW style! Whatever it takes to make it work for all. We have DVC and used to go a few times a year, a week at a time when my kids were little then just 4 day weekends. Now they are older and can't really miss school. I find it way too crowded and crazy for me. The best recent trips we have had have been weekends where we stay at BWV and enjoy the hotels, only going to Epcot. I love Magic K but it's just too insane! And good for WDW, obviously they are in business to make a profit. We finally bought Universal passes this year and though it doesn't have the same magic, the rides are incredible--best yet is that you can actually ride them without having to book months out, even the best rides like Harry Potter and a few times a day if you desire. We are going for a weekend soon and I wanted to add a third day just to hit Boardwalk for one day and have lunch or dinner and walk around, but afraid to miss school. I would love get my Mickey fix and see the decorated hotels and what holiday things Mickey is selling this year. Maybe we will go back when our kids go to college. However, if it's this crowded and crazy now, cannot imagine in a few years.

One of the reasons the prices keep going up is to lower crowds. I'd suggest if you have so many issues with the experience and the business model, you find a different vacation so you don't feel like you are wasting money and it is stressful.
Yea I hate when Disney gets crowed that's why if I can I go off season. And I really hate the high prices. But life is about having fun and Disney is so much fun. I'm lucky I don't have a lot of bills and I can live without a lot of things, I don't need a car. We have a great bus service where I live. I don't live in a big place and my mortgage is almost plaid off on my condo, I don't have cable or wifi or the internet. Right now, I'm using the computer at the library. I don't spend a lot of money on food or clothes. I love to travel and when I do I travel cheap. I get a cheap air fare, I stay at Comfort Inn when I go to Disney. They have rooms for $60 and it comes with nice big hot breakfast , free shuttle to the parks, microwave and refrigerator. I don't eat in the parks, I get my tickets on line at a discount, I'm not a big souvenir person

Yea I hate when Disney gets crowed that's why if I can I go off season. And I really hate the high prices. But life is about having fun and Disney is so much fun. I'm lucky I don't have a lot of bills and I can live without a lot of things, I don't need a car. We have a great bus service where I live. I don't live in a big place and my mortgage is almost plaid off on my condo, I don't have cable or wifi or the internet. Right now, I'm using the computer at the library. I don't spend a lot of money on food or clothes. I love to travel and when I do I travel cheap. I get a cheap air fare, I stay at Comfort Inn when I go to Disney. They have rooms for $60 and it comes with nice big hot breakfast , free shuttle to the parks, microwave and refrigerator. I don't eat in the parks, I get my tickets on line at a discount, I'm not a big souvenir person

Would you please share the address of the Comfort Inn that you use, please.

Glad to hear you have mastered the pricing monster at Disney rather than stay home. While we do not live that spartan life, we will spend the money ..but.. our trips are shorter and less frequent. Thanks for proving that you don't have to spend yourself into the poor house to get to WDW!

Last edited:
I was on here the other day saying though we are Floridians we felt the prices are too high with the crowds. We had tried Universal this year instead with annual passes. Well this weekend my kids had a sporting event in Orlando so we used our DVC points for a one night one bedroom at Saratoga last night. We went to Disney Springs for the first time in years and had dinner at Flying Fish. Welp we are totally buying the Disney passes later this year again. Harry Potter sections at Universal are amazing but we forgot how magical WDW is!

Disney must have their pricing analytics sharply honed staying right under when the consumer becomes resistant to buy the Disney experience. As I mentioned earlier, I moderate my total spend to offset these greedy increases. IE: less meals and days on site!

Disney must have their pricing analytics sharply honed staying right under when the consumer becomes resistant to buy the Disney experience. As I mentioned earlier, I moderate my total spend to offset these greedy increases. IE: less meals and days on site!

I think I'm on your page. We rented DVC points to stay at AKL in December for 3 nights, which was still pricey, but we only did 2 park days this year. We spent the rest of our time enjoying the resort and DS. I no longer feel that free dining is worth it for my family. By the time we add PH and upgrade, we're spending what we would normally spend on food OOP. And I don't like park hopping. It was crazy crowded. The predicted crowd level each day was 6 but was actually 8. We know how to plan and manage our time, so we very much enjoyed. We've gone from every other year all parks to partial Disney vacation. Saves my sanity and our budget.

We plan on early November - after Halloween and before Thanksgiving
Not sure about crowds - but better prices at the Dolphin and tickets not bad for 8 or 10 days

I think I'm on your page. We rented DVC points to stay at AKL in December for 3 nights, which was still pricey, but we only did 2 park days this year. We spent the rest of our time enjoying the resort and DS. I no longer feel that free dining is worth it for my family. By the time we add PH and upgrade, we're spending what we would normally spend on food OOP. And I don't like park hopping. It was crazy crowded. The predicted crowd level each day was 6 but was actually 8. We know how to plan and manage our time, so we very much enjoyed. We've gone from every other year all parks to partial Disney vacation. Saves my sanity and our budget.
Like you folks, we have moved on. In our case to Europe and the Pacific as the total costs are often less than a Deluxe WDW trip. They just won't get any more money out of us unless there is some deal we haven't heard about.
Great tactic to just enjoy the resort part of Disney. Really takes the pressure having to run here, run there, on some tight schedule.

This year was our "economical" Disney vacation.

1. Use mileage to pay for our plane tickets.
2. Use Magical Express
3. All Star Resort had a $86/night
4. Used Underground Tourist to purchase slightly discounted tickets.
5. We've been purchasing $50 gift cards once/every couple of months for over a year to use for meals. (Yes it's a bit of a cheat as you are still paying but, it's not all up front)

DVC makes all the difference for us. DVC helps out in many ways. Of course, it brings our deluxe, on-site hotel bill down to about $180/night, and lets us buy TIW, which cuts our fine dining bill down a good amount.

DVC also lets us buy Gold Passes. We won't visit WDW on a regular ticket anymore. We will only visit if we can string together three separate vacations within a 12 month period so we can buy annual passes and get our per-vacation admission down to $200. (Though to be honest, if we had to buy a regular annual pass that would only bump that up to $250 per vacation, so while DVC helps it isn't required to get that three trips in one year advantage.)

However, the most important advantage we get from DVC is that we know we're going to be back in a few months or a couple of years. That's very important because it means that if we only get to visit three or four attractions in a day that's okay. "We'll be back." It really takes the stress off to view WDW as our "vacation home" instead of a "once in a lifetime" destination, or even a once every five years destination.
I know this is an older post, but I just read it now after being off the boards for a while. We left Florida for a job, but wanted our old Disney habits. We bought DVC and it seems to circumvent a lot of the issues associated with crowding. I hope you enjoy your membership.

Of course, a lot has changed since I posted that message, almost a year and a half ago.

1) BWV's maintenance fee had the biggest percentage increase in many years, so now we're paying more like $200/night.
2) We have now skipped TIW two trips in a row, preferring to do more counter service to save money.
3) While we're enjoying a Gold Pass now, and have yet again strung together three separate vacations within 12 months period to make the most efficient use of them, this is probably the LAST time we're doing that (see below).
4) We've decided to move from north-of-Atlanta to Kissimmee in the next year or two. We may sell DVC to raise cash, or we may keep it for staycations - probably the former. We'll probably do a lot of two and three hour trips, so will very likely only rarely purchase food from the parks. We'll aim for one of the really inexpensive Florida-resident passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter