Disney vs. Universal

Disney is our home, and every once in a while we will go and see what's new over at Universal. I will say that we don't pay for it, we have a hook up, my DBIL works there so we get tickets for free. For DH and I go to mill around for the day is fun, but thinking in terms of taking the grandkids, who are all under kindergarten age not much for them to do really. I think its geared toward families with older kiddos who enjoy thrill rides and Harry Potter. But would I pay for it is the question?

The one problem that I have with Universal is the bathrooms are disgusting, its like they never clean them all day. Gross!!!!

As far as food choices, a lot of the time we will have a big breakfast out of the park and then grab a couple of snacks during the day, then head over to City walk for dinner.

My first trip to Universal was in California about 40 years ago. It was so pathetic. We rode around in a tram while they mentioned movies that they'd made. So I have this long-term bias against Universal.

I've been to Universal in Orlando a couple of times. I know that it is light years ahead of my experiences in California decades ago. But as I am now decades older myself I am no longer able to do extreme rides. I don't want to spend $100 a day to go to Disney so I usually get an AP. I don't want to go to Universal enough to get an AP - but I am not willing to spend that much for a one or two day ticket.

I'd go to Universal if the old cheap tickets or APs were available, but I'm not going to pay top dollar to go there.

We have APs for both but spend 90% of our trips at disney.

We're going to both next year and although the tickets for Disney were cheaper for us (we got 6 day park hoppers for the same price as 4 day park to park tickets with Volcano Bay at Universal) I will say that Universal has Disney beat in the hotel category regarding value. Royal Pacific is costing us $333CAD a night, which could be cheaper if we were going for a week. Whereas Pop Century, a Disney value, is costing us around $224 CAD a night. If we were driving down I would honestly just stay at Universal for a week just to get the nicer hotel at a cheaper price, but I digress. I definitely had sticker shock when I booked our tickets but it is what it is. This will probably be our last trip as a childless couple for awhile and hubby is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, so Disney and Universal it will be, even if it is making my bank account want to cry.

My husband and I went to universal a few years back and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was a spur of the moment decision so we were shocked at ticket prices but then again we didn't plan in advance. We now have two little ones and Disney is the only thing on our radar for quite sometime! Maybe we will hit up universal again in a few years. I would love to see the wizarding world additions.

My family is doing both parks this December. First Disney and then Universal. My daughter and her friend are HUGE Harry Potter fans and that is why we are going there. We are staying in both parks for 4 nights at 4 star hotels. It is costing us less for 2 club level rooms at Universal than for one room in the Contemporary tower. That is where our savings are. The price of park tickets is expensive because it is two parks versus 4 (we don't plan on using water parks) but I don't know what the ride and attraction ratio in each park is. We have never been to Universal so can't compare the two yet. Does anyone know how that compares? Just because Disney has 4 parks doesn't mean they have a lot more rides and attractions than Universal does. I would be interested what people think who have been to both parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!