Disney Wall Art Swap--Interest Thread

mycutiepatooties

DIS Veteran
If there is enough interest in this I’d like to hostess this swap. I’m open to ideas so chime in! Dates are not set in stone, but I'd like to have the sign ups Aug. 6-9th and due date Oct. 13th. This way other swaps I'm hostessing could all be mailed together...assuming the other swaps have enough interest too. I am open to changing the date of any of my swaps if this time frame is too busy for swappers who are interested.

I made a neat project in a scrapbook class at my local store. I have it hanging on the wall in my scrapbook room. Here are a few photos of it.

(I took the photos down...pm me if you want to see them)

I was thinking of doing something similar to this except using 2 inch Mickey head shapes with the word Magic in the lower right corner. It also serves as an inspiration piece because it displays a bunch of different embellishing techniques. So basically every Mickey head would be embellished several ways.

We could do all black Bazzill Mickey heads so they match and embellish them with red/yellow/white OR use the black base but do the dimensional embellishments in a specific color to still get that look of the phases of different colors (see sample: browns are in one area and blues are in another area...). Or if you like the colorful look of my project in the photo, we could use a selection of cardstock that would give us a similar look and you’d sign up for a Mickey head base to be a certain Bazzill cardstock color. Any other ideas?

The shapes are glued/mounted to a 12 x 12 white canvas stretched on a wood frame. You could also paint your canvas if you wanted. You would have to buy the canvas on your own and glue the shapes on once they are mailed to you. It was easy and I just laid everything out first for spacing and then glued them on (liquid glue) without using rulers or anything to line them up. My local craft stores carry these 12 x 12 size stretched canvas boards for various prices depending on quality. Some are made from higher quality cotton canvas fabric or gesso prepared to accept paint in a better way, or maybe the frame part is thicker. Anyhow here are the prices I found. Keep in mind you can always use a 40-50% off coupon for these.
Hobby Lobby: $6.99, 7.99, and 17.99 (currently on sale 30% off until 8/4)
Michaels: 2 pack value pack $7.99, 8.49, 17.99 and a BLACK one 11.99
JoAnnes: $8.99
AC Moore $8.99 (on sale this week 40% off--ends 8/4?)
I also found them online, but hate how much shipping costs. I will look a Target, Walmart, Meijer too when I am out that way to see if they carry his.

There are 23 shapes and 1 word on a canvas.

If you wanted to do this swap but not mount the shapes to the canvas on your own at home, then you could always use the embellished Mickey heads on your cards or scrapbook layouts.

Please post your ideas and if you are interested in this type of swap since we have never done something like this before to my knowledge.

Pink:
Sleeping beauty
piglet
Marie
Cheshire Cat
Flora (Sleeping Beauty)
Mulan (could be dark pink or maroon)
Daisy (Or purple)
Jessica
Anastasia

Red:
Mickey
Snow white (Also blue or yellow)
Jafar
Minnie
Hook (darker maroon red??)
Gaston
Queen of Hearts
Rosetta
Lightening McQueen
Incredibles
Mary Poppins
Lilo
Iago

Orange:
Thomas O'Malley
Nemo
Tigger
Mufasa
Goofy (could also be Green or blue)
Timon
Robin Hood
Fawn
Terrance
Oliver
Hercules

Yellow:
Pooh
Belle
Pluto
Simba
Jane (Tarzan and Jane)
Rabbit
Jessie
Iridessa
Wall-E
Lumiere

Green:
Dopey
Quasimodo
Little John (Robin hood)
Malificent (or Purple)
Peter Pan
Tink
Ariel (could also be Red)
Mike Wazowski
Jasmine (or blue)
Buzz (or purple)
LGM's
Fauna (sleeping beauty)
Drizella (spelling??)
Crush
Mad Hatter
Green Army Men
Prince Naveen
Tiana

Blue:
Sulley
Genie
Alice
Stitch
Blue Fairy
Meriweather (sleeping Beauty)
Cinderella
Donald
Silvermist (or Gray)
Fairy Godmother (could be purple)
Woody (could be red or yellow)
Merida (could be green or red)
Sally from Cars
Mr Smee (could also be red)
Zazu
Wendy Darling

Violet/Purple:
Evil Queen
Bianca
Lady Tremaine
Esmerelda
Aladdin
Rapunzel
Beast (Or Blue)
Vidia
Ursula
Holly Shiftwell
Yzma
Meg from Hercules
Boo from Monsters Inc.

Grey:
Eeyore
Tramp
Rafiki
Baloo
Dumbo
Bernard
Thumper
Steam Boat Willie
Remy
Bert from Mary Poppins
Hades

Sounds like it could be fun ...... What about a rainbow effect? :confused3
How many would each swapper make??

Interesting...will you have a list of ways to embellish?

I might be interested. I vote for a variety of colors though because the traditional disney colors would not match my scrap space. I LOVE the colors in the heart example! So we would only be paying to ship Mickey heads and not full canvases right? I guess the number of Mickey heads we make would depend on the number of swappers? Thanks!

I might be interested. I vote for a variety of colors though because the traditional disney colors would not match my scrap space. I LOVE the colors in the heart example! So we would only be paying to ship Mickey heads and not full canvases right? I guess the number of Mickey heads we make would depend on the number of swappers? Thanks!

Yes, you only pay to ship the baggies of Mickey heads. Buy the canvas on your own and attach.

I was hopeful that we could get at least 12 swappers so each person would need to do 2 different mickey head designs (1 person would do the word Magic in specialty paper + 1 Mickey head design.) Then mass produce enough for everyone.

Yes, I was planning to make a big list and have people sign up for the color/way they want to embellish so we can avoid repeats.

Traci, do you know when you'll have the list up? we leave Thursday night for our trip and not sure how often I will be checking in here

I will work on the embellishing list and try to get it up tomorrow so you can be thinking...

What do you girls think about the color scheme? Sounds like most people want the Mickey head to be colorful and not black. Do you want brighter primary colors, lighter colors like my example, or something else??? Please chime in so I can get together a color list to use during sign ups as well. One thing I love about the project I made in the above photo is how the colors all kinda line up and fade to another color...although there is too much blue in my opinion. Do you like that look? I will figure out how many people need to be doing a certain color if so. So glad there is some interest!

What if you did a ROY G BIV motif on the diagonal?

R O Y G B I V
O Y G B I V ?
Y G B I V ? ?
G B I V Disney

The 3 Question marks could be something darker than violet, 2 Dark purple (villains) 1 Black (Mickey)

If you had 13 swappers, each person would get 2 Mickey heads and one would get 1 head and "Disney".

What if you did a ROY G BIV motif on the diagonal?

R O Y G B I V
O Y G B I V ?
Y G B I V ? ?
G B I V Disney

The 3 Question marks could be something darker than violet, 2 Dark purple (villains) 1 Black (Mickey)

If you had 13 swappers, each person would get 2 Mickey heads and one would get 1 head and "Disney".

:rotfl2: LOL Totally forgot about this little (is it called acronym?)!!! And at first was like Roy who? Anyway....couldn't sleep last night so maybe I am delerious...but thought it was hilarious! I think that's a great idea! Don't know what everyone else thinks but I love it!

Love the idea of ROY G BIV!!! That's sort of what I had in mind when I suggested a rainbow effect .....

Who can forget Roy?!?!? I love him - use him all the time!!! :lovestruc Although, my kids inform me that there is no "I" anymore ..... guess it went away with Pluto? :confused3

I like Buffy's suggestion....I'm more of a primary girl than pastel's but will go with the majority :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!