Disney+ What’s the Word on Availability for Us Canucks?

Mickey's Best Girl

DIS Veteran
Does any one have any insight or heard when the Disney+ streaming service will be released in Canada.

I tried finding a little more info on the Google machine last night but all I came up with was “the possibility of sometime in 2020”.

I recall when it was announced that it included the news Canada was to be added a few months after the initial rollout. But I don't know any specific date.

I think Corus owns the rights to Disney specialty channels and I wouldn't be surprised to see them involved with Disney+ in some capacity, which would probably help with navigating the crtc.

Woohoo, we're definitely going to be getting it. And I think we'll get it for the year, $89.99 for the year means you basically get two months free.

Hoping for some of the old Disney movies I grew up watching. I know they’re pretty corny (The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes!) but some will be fun to watch again, if they are on there.

Woohoo, we're definitely going to be getting it. And I think we'll get it for the year, $89.99 for the year means you basically get two months free.

That's what my husband and I have decided on too - might as well save the couple bucks and get the yearly subscription. I'm SOOOOOOOO EXCITED for the Marvel series.

I wonder if it might be a better idea to sign up for month to month for a few months before committing to a whole year right out of the gate. I doubt it will be all your favourite Disney movies/shows all the time. Better to wait and see what they offer and how they offer it before committing. Unless its one or the other and you can't switch back and forth.

I wonder if it might be a better idea to sign up for month to month for a few months before committing to a whole year right out of the gate. I doubt it will be all your favourite Disney movies/shows all the time. Better to wait and see what they offer and how they offer it before committing. Unless its one or the other and you can't switch back and forth.
My husband I were talking about it further last night and yes, eventhough I'm like LETS SIGN UP RIGHT ON NOVEMBER 12TH he's like "ok let's see what the content is like first, let's read some early reviews and then decide." So yeah, I guess I won't be signing up right away....but I'm still excited ;-)

From the articles I’ve read it will have all Disney content. It may not be all available immediately in Nov but eventually it should. The difference between this and say Netflix or Amazon Prime is they have negotiate rights to get content. There’s also rights for cross border content. Disney owns all the content so they can do as they please with it.
A couple articles said they are going to abolish the vault so that all the movies would be available.
I guess we won’t know for sure until it’s out though.

Fingers crossed that it will have the same content and not have limited selection (our Netflix has so much less than the American One). I know that there are a lot of restrictions and workings that go on with the CRTC. So, I am hoping that it is the same selection as the U.S.

I have a Vizio smart tv. It doesn't have a lot of apps, just the basics like YouTube, Netflix, etc. How do I stream Disney+? Do I have to buy something separate to plug into a HDMI port or will the app be for certain brands of televisions?

This will be fun, I'm looking forward to the Marvel and Star Wars content, plus I'm sure there will be lots of content for kiddo. I'd like to get rid of my regular TV but there are a few shows I can't get other ways yet. Maybe soon. With amazon prime offering "channels" and Netflix, even Crave, there are lots of options.

My guess is they will negotiate with cable companies to show their channel, much like Netflix. Not everyone wants to buy another device just for one channel, which I think is the thing that holds Amazon PrimeTV back. The fact that I can use my existing cable box and remote to watch Netflix makes it easy. The fact that I can also watch it and download it using my ipad makes it even better. I think the Disney + will have to compete with that. Given they already have channels in Canada that do that, like ABC and Disney Channel, I think they would want to go that route for this, as well.

But, what do I know? lol

I was wondering that too (how to watch it). I stream Netflix on our computer (which is hooked up to a tv). I am hoping that we'll be able to log in online like we do with Netflix (instead of having to buy another device).

From the articles I’ve read it will have all Disney content. It may not be all available immediately in Nov but eventually it should. The difference between this and say Netflix or Amazon Prime is they have negotiate rights to get content. There’s also rights for cross border content. Disney owns all the content so they can do as they please with it.

A couple articles said they are going to abolish the vault so that all the movies would be available.

I guess we won’t know for sure until it’s out though.

If the vault is still locked I won’t bother with Disney+.

I have a Vizio smart tv. It doesn't have a lot of apps, just the basics like YouTube, Netflix, etc. How do I stream Disney+? Do I have to buy something separate to plug into a HDMI port or will the app be for certain brands of televisions?

Get a Chromecast device to plug into your HDMI port. You can then cast the content from your phone, tablet, whatever you want.

I was wondering that too (how to watch it). I stream Netflix on our computer (which is hooked up to a tv). I am hoping that we'll be able to log in online like we do with Netflix (instead of having to buy another device).

If you have an HDMI port on your TV, you can get a cheap Chromecast device and cast any content you want from your phone, tablet, whatever you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!