Disney Wish to be delayed?

It's likely based on the video released today by Meyer-Werft that until things can return to a normal work schedule (they're currently on shut down due to the virus just like everywhere else) that most of the ships under construction will be finished, then they'll re-evaluate the build schedule and discuss with the cruise lines with builds on order if they're still in need for that vessel and if not they'll move on to the next one etc... But their work flow is definitely going to be slower and probably reduced to 1 smaller ship and 1 bigger ship at a time. I expect that if DCL will want the Wish built they will probably see a launch 6 months to 1 year from their original target Inaugural cruise. The entire cruise industry will take a long look at their future and adjust their requirements and even need for new ships at this time. We could conceivably see DCL cancel either new builds #6 or #7 or both.

I'm willing to bet that the Wish is pushed back to 2022 and then the next two are scrapped for now

I'm sure Disney is going to be making MASSIVE budget cuts given the profound loss of income they are experiencing:
ESPN (no new sporting events forecast for months)
Disney Parks (closed for months)
Disney Cruise Line (closed)
Disney Resorts (closed)
Movie Theaters (closed)

Income from Disney+ is their one bright spot and it certainly won't make up for months of income lost from all their big revenue sources.

I'm not familiar with how contracts with shipyards work but I would imagine that Disney is already committed to the Wish or at least would face costly penalties to withdraw since the steel has been cut.

This is pure speculation as well but the Magic and Wonder aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. As they begin recovery, it will be interesting to see what their futures are. I doubt we'll ever publicly know but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up retiring them earlier than planned if demand ends up being extremely weak. As in, maybe the original intent was to sail all 7 ships for several years but now they'll be looking at 4 or 5 simultaneously. Who knows, though.

To add to that, I absolutely think you're going to see the larger cruise lines get rid of their older ships immediately. Some of these other lines with 30-40-50 ships...they may only need 30 of the 40 and all of theirs already exist so if you need to cut capacity, ditching the clunkers might be a good idea.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that the Wish is pushed back to 2022 and then the next two are scrapped for now

before the virus the wish was coming out in 2022. Late 2021 but no guests until 2022. Target date was Jan 2022 for guests.

This is pure speculation as well but the Magic and Wonder aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. As they begin recovery, it will be interesting to see what their futures are. I doubt we'll ever publicly know but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up retiring them earlier than planned if demand ends up being extremely weak. As in, maybe the original intent was to sail all 7 ships for several years but now they'll be looking at 4 or 5 simultaneously. Who knows, though.

The Wonder had a dry dock last year, plan at the time was to keep the classics going for another 10 years. May have changed though

They might cancel the 3rd one, but not the 2nd one. The cost of a ship is such that you make at least two. The developing/designing cost is high, and therefore at least two are build of the same blueprints. (info from family who recently visited the Meyer Werft.
Interesting to know.

They might cancel the 3rd one, but not the 2nd one. The cost of a ship is such that you make at least two. The developing/designing cost is high, and therefore at least two are build of the same blueprints. (info from family who recently visited the Meyer Werft.
I was thinking they may cancel #2 since it was not originally planned, and they added it in after the announcement of the other two. It also helps spread out payments a little more with at least a year between the ships - especially if production is also stretched out.

What's usually the lifespan of cruise ships? The Disney Wonder was my first Disney cruise, and my first ever cruise
Generally, 25-30 years for the line they were built for and then sold to a down market line and run 5-15 years more. Of course, the better shape the ship is kept it the longer it will stay in each of those levels.

Generally, 25-30 years for the line they were built for and then sold to a down market line and run 5-15 years more. Of course, the better shape the ship is kept it the longer it will stay in each of those levels.

Would it be more difficult for Disney since there's so much theming inside? I feel like a lot of that would be hard to cover up for a non-Disney line, plus you add in the sentimental factor for so much of their audience.

I would love to go on the Wonder again, but living in SC, it makes much more sense to take an almost identical cruise out of Florida on the other ships, rather than go all the way to New Orleans or Galveston. Plus I don't think I could financially do a cruise out west to Mexico or Alaska. Not factoring in COVID-19 and the uncertainty that comes with it

Good evening,

Just saw this article,

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-line...ed-some-of-the-new-cruise-ships-they-ordered/
Looks like the Wish may be delayed, worst case is the two unnamed Tritons getting cancelled.
OMG. That’s sad but at the same time, I understand that if the money (and the demand) is not there, it’s not a good timing to order them.

EDIT: Let’s not forget that the economy is not great and the unemployment rate in North America is currently extremely high. If DCL keeps its prices high, people who used to be able to afford them might not be able to afford them anymore.

Last edited:
I thought the Wish was a different blueprint than the two others after it. Or, are all 3 the same blueprint?

MJ

I am actually from the other mindset where I think they would continue building the new 3 ships.

First, the publicity is a big thing for new ships. It will drive business back to the brand. I cant tell you how many times I have seen people on here say "I'm just going to wait for the new ships for my next cruise"

Second, because Disney is a smaller brand, its not like NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, etc that have dozens of ships. 7 total is an entirely manageable amount. The reality of the Magic and Wonder retiring in the next few years is completely realistic. 98 and 99 is quite old for a ship even though they have been kept up immaculately. If anything major goes mechanically wrong, I would guess its more cost effective to just build a new ship than keep fixing problems. Disney will need to compete with some of the newer features on other ships.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!