Disney Wish to be delayed?

I wonder what kind of contracts Disney signed with the ports (Canaveral, Miami, New Orleans, Galveston) and whether they have a contractual way out. If they promised cruise ships stationed there for port upgrades, they may have no choice but to go ahead with 3 Triton class ships.

Second, because Disney is a smaller brand, its not like NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, etc that have dozens of ships. 7 total is an entirely manageable amount. The reality of the Magic and Wonder retiring in the next few years is completely realistic. 98 and 99 is quite old for a ship even though they have been kept up immaculately. If anything major goes mechanically wrong, I would guess its more cost effective to just build a new ship than keep fixing problems. Disney will need to compete with some of the newer features on other ships.

Agreed with the prices they charge I am surprised they haven't expanded faster. They have to be one of the most profitable ships in the industry.

I wonder what kind of contracts Disney signed with the ports (Canaveral, Miami, New Orleans, Galveston) and whether they have a contractual way out. If they promised cruise ships stationed there for port upgrades, they may have no choice but to go ahead with 3 Triton class ships.

All three ships are going to be home ported out of Canaveral. I can't find the link at the moment but this was announced by Port Canaveral and confirmed by Disney.

Thanks, makes sense as all 3 will be natural gas powered, requiring much investment to bring natural gas refueling capabilities to Port Canaveral.

DCL also has, for lack of a better term, the Lion's share of control at Canaveral. Take for example, this summer when the DCL terminal is under refurbishment and they are basically kicking Norwegian out to use their normal terminal (10 I think?)

All three ships are going to be home ported out of Canaveral. I can't find the link at the moment but this was announced by Port Canaveral and confirmed by Disney.
Actually they are making arrangements for 2 of the new ships to be based out of Port Canaveral, but DCL has also signed a MOU with Port Miami to construct a new terminal on the south side of Dodge Island exclusive for Disney, with facilities for LNG refueling, no actual word on if and when construction will commence. But it could open the door for multiple DCL itineraries out of Miami as well as Port Canaveral since they're expanding into CT10 and share it with NCL.

Last edited:
Actually they are making arrangements for 2 of the new ships to be based out of Port Canaveral, but DCL has also signed a MOU with Port Miami to construct a new terminal on the south side of Dodge Island exclusive for Disney, with facilities for LNG refueling, no actual word on if and when construction will commence. But it could open the door for multiple DCL itineraries out of Miami as well as Port Canaveral since they're expanding into CT10 and share it with NCL.

So assuming that the two new ships still get built, I guess that means that the Dream or Fantasy will move to Miami eventually

So assuming that the two new ships still get built, I guess that means that the Dream or Fantasy will move to Miami eventually
No idea, although since all the new ships are going to be LNG fueled, building a terminal in Miami that can fuel LNG ships just means it can accommodate ALL the current and future fleet. Granted Port Canaveral is their primary hub for cruise operations in FL, but having Miami as a alternative if they decide to build all 3 new ships means they can rotate them between the two ports with much less congestion in Port Canaveral. I know many people keep hoping that DCL will start sailing out of far away places like Asia and Australia, but for now the Caribbean and Gulf is their main bread and butter for cruises. Taking the Wonder and Magic out of the picture with them both spending a good portion of each year sailing in Europe and Alaska/West Coast, they'll still have to schedule itineraries for 5 ships, and until Lighthouse Point gets up and running I suspect they will be focusing on ports that might allow them for quick cruise trips 3-5 days, with some longer trips thrown in. That's a lot of ships to sail into just one port every week, I think using Miami is a smart move, it keeps the guests coming to Florida and it's still close enough for overlap with the parks and still make a cruise a viable vacation package for many.

This is pure speculation as well but the Magic and Wonder aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. As they begin recovery, it will be interesting to see what their futures are. I doubt we'll ever publicly know but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up retiring them earlier than planned if demand ends up being extremely weak. As in, maybe the original intent was to sail all 7 ships for several years but now they'll be looking at 4 or 5 simultaneously. Who knows, though.

I feel just the opposite and maybe that's partly nostalgia because the Magic was our first Disney cruise long before the Dream was a twinkle in her daddy's eye. We have still preferred the classic ships because there are fewer guests. Now, in our post-viral world, I'd be even more inclined to stick with the smaller ships. To me, they're a perfect size and layout. You don't have people walking through Topsiders/Cabanas only because the elevator lets them out there. The theaters are smaller and don't feel as crowded. Even the staircases are less crowded. Less competition for everything, elevators, slides, umbrellas at CC, etc.
I will happily sail the classics until they are retired and surely will be crying when they're removed from service.

It has been formally announced that all three ships will sail from Canaveral at least initially. I would anticipate the Dream/Fantasy to sail out of Miami assuming they Keep the Magic/Wonder sailing for a few more years. I did see the post about the formal terminal being built in Miami. It wouldn't surprise me if they relocate a ship or two there after the initial season or two. Something I saw said the terminal was supposed to be done around 2023 but I cant find the article for the Miami terminal at the moment.

Since LNG is the more popular/clean energy source moving forward, I am not surprised by the idea of them building in the LNG fueling option when they build the new terminal. Better to have all your ships set up right from the get go for fueling needs.

It has been formally announced that all three ships will sail from Canaveral at least initially. I would anticipate the Dream/Fantasy to sail out of Miami assuming they Keep the Magic/Wonder sailing for a few more years. I did see the post about the formal terminal being built in Miami. It wouldn't surprise me if they relocate a ship or two there after the initial season or two. Something I saw said the terminal was supposed to be done around 2023 but I cant find the article for the Miami terminal at the moment.

Since LNG is the more popular/clean energy source moving forward, I am not surprised by the idea of them building in the LNG fueling option when they build the new terminal. Better to have all your ships set up right from the get go for fueling needs.
Exactly, with all 3 new ships using LNG building a dedicated fueling facility at Miami and construct a new dedicated terminal there makes a lot of sense, I'm sure they'll want the new ships to initially sail out of PC simply because they're new, I don't see them shoving the Dream/Fantasy to Miami in lieu of the new ships once all 3 are in operations, especially with the LNG angle. As I stated trying to accommodate 5 ships in PC might prove to be impractical, but there's no reason they can't rotate them in and out of Miami and PC regularly to allow people wanting to sail particular ships to have the option of where they embark from. That's all I was trying to point out. Still really hoping DCL will go ahead with all 3 of the Triton ships, although I expect them to be delayed somewhat with the circumstances the way they are.

Exactly, with all 3 new ships using LNG building a dedicated fueling facility at Miami and construct a new dedicated terminal there makes a lot of sense, I'm sure they'll want the new ships to initially sail out of PC simply because they're new, I don't see them shoving the Dream/Fantasy to Miami in lieu of the new ships once all 3 are in operations, especially with the LNG angle. As I stated trying to accommodate 5 ships in PC might prove to be impractical, but there's no reason they can't rotate them in and out of Miami and PC regularly to allow people wanting to sail particular ships to have the option of where they embark from. That's all I was trying to point out. Still really hoping DCL will go ahead with all 3 of the Triton ships, although I expect them to be delayed somewhat with the circumstances the way they are.

Someone on here mentioned, when building ships, it makes more sense to build multiple ships using the same blueprints/planning work. It would be a surprise to see them build any less than 2 because the financial savings from using the same plans is apparently insanely good and makes it worth building multiples. Pretty much every major cruise company uses this plan.

The wish is to be built after the Odyssey. If my math is any good, and it’s not, that six months delay for the odyssey. No not to be a negative Nelly or anything like that, but as a cruise line or two collapses, Meijer Weft may then be able to improve its delay schedules.
November 5 was its maiden voyage. We were a ship or two behind them.

The wish is to be built after the Odyssey. If my math is any good, and it’s not, that six months delay for the odyssey. No not to be a negative Nelly or anything like that, but as a cruise line or two collapses, Meijer Weft may then be able to improve its delay schedules.
November 5 was its maiden voyage. We were a ship or two behind them.

So what would that mean for the Wish?

So what would that mean for the Wish?
I am hoping that these two super knowledgeable ship individuals on this thread will throw out some speculation.
my uninformed noggin is going to say a delay of less than six months.

I am hoping that these two super knowledgeable ship individuals on this thread will throw out some speculation.

That's what I was thinking. This is a topic I'm very interested in but luckily I do not have to research it much because there are a few people on here who really keep up with this stuff and share that info with us.

Well, much of the delay of the odyssey is due to fires. I think P&O refusing delivery of the Iona is probably a bigger issue for scheduling at this point. In addition to the reduced work schedules of course.

The article totally skipped over the P&O refusing delivery. To me that's the curious part of the article. Why/how can you just refuse delivery? That's like ordering a pizza and then when the pizza guy shows up at your door you tell him "never mind". Except it's a billion dollar pizza.

Why/how can you just refuse delivery?
If the ship wasn't built according to specs, they can refuse delivery. That happened to us on a river cruise once. We were booked on a new ship, but the cruise line refused delivery due to "not as we ordered" situation. So we were moved to a different (older) ship.

I believe it the pizza that shows up at your door was a sausage & onion one and you had ordered a onion & bell pepper one, you can certainly refuse delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!