Disney Wish to be delayed?

I don't get it. As far as the Magic and Wonder are concerned. Yes they have fewer people but it's a smaller ship. So how would be less crowded? Edge and Vibe on the classic ships are microscopic compared to Dream class, you get some kids in there and it gets crowded for them. Obviously the kids clubs don't matter to me personally but I do care if my kids are happy or not when we spend that kind of money and they definitely prefer the kids clubs on the Dream class. Plus Dream class has Meridian bar and deck out back. I could spend a whole cruise back there.

I don't get it. As far as the Magic and Wonder are concerned. Yes they have fewer people but it's a smaller ship.
Some semi-interesting numbers:
Dream Class ships are ~130,000 GRT and max capacity of ~4,000 passengers. 130/4 = 32.5
Magic Class ships are ~83,000 GRT and max capacity of ~2,700 passengers. 83/2.7 = 30.7
So yes, the larger ships have a bit more space per passenger than the original two.

I thought the Wish was a different blueprint than the two others after it. Or, are all 3 the same blueprint?

MJ
Wish is a slight deviation from the Dream Class. All 3 Wish class should be almost identical. Once the Wish enters service some small stuff will pop up like the way certain doors open or certain valves location may get moved for ergonomics or practicality, but structurally should be the same.

Agreed! Much of what DCL does is completely influenced by current market needs, but they're always looking down the road, I guess they would have possibly expanded the line with new ships but the 2008 Financial crisis probably had something to do with waiting until later to add more ships. Disney never rushes into things, a good example is their measured and methodical changes to the current parks in attractions and venues. Disney has been around a long long time and they're not going to go anywhere soon. The ships will just be a reflection of that ideology.

Initially, had it held, the original timeline would have had Magic in 98, Wonder 99 , at least 2 unnamed ships in 04/05, and 05/06ish, the Dream class in 11 and 12, with the Wish in 22, 23 and 24. or 21,22,23 depending on how they come out.
When a ship is designed it takes roughly 5 years from the decision to build. Actual build time is usually less then 2 years but all the testing, acquisitions, planning takes up the the remaining time. The Dream class would have started planning sometime in 07 or 08. That would be the basic design, what they want in it, basic sizes etc. Then it moves to the marine engineers who design in as much as they can according to class parameters. Things like center of gravity, hull stresses and a whole buch of other stuff. Then they test the hull form and make changes as needed. They actually model out the hull in a test tank. While this is going on long lead stuff like props, shafts, engines, motors etc are ordered, and the ship moves slowly thru the line. until shes launched.

I do remember someone at Disney saying that they were taking advantage of the loan situation for the Dream class. I can't see it being any different for the Wish class.

Some semi-interesting numbers:
Dream Class ships are ~130,000 GRT and max capacity of ~4,000 passengers. 130/4 = 32.5
Magic Class ships are ~83,000 GRT and max capacity of ~2,700 passengers. 83/2.7 = 30.7
So yes, the larger ships have a bit more space per passenger than the original two.

I remember reading something that was part of the press releases for the wish that said they were supposed to be 145,000 GRT but the same amount of passengers as the Dream/Fantasy to allow for more space per guest on board.

I think that my opinions have been slighly swayed (in the Magic Class vs. Dream Class) argument by the amount of travelers on board the ships when we have sailed due to the time of year.

On the Magic Sailings we have done, both were the San Juan to Miami Repositioning sailing. (Side note: If you've never done this cruise, I HIGHLY recommend it) The ship, while busy was clearly not full and although not deserted, felt much more comfortable and less occupied.

The Fantasy sailing we did was the week before Easter. Ship was packed to the gills. If we had been on a non-spring break cruise, I'm sure it would have felt very different.

One thing that I feel like people wouldn't disagree on as much: Castaway Cay on the Magic/Wonder vs. on the Dream/Fantasy is far less occupied for the classic ships.

So last night the Oddesey moved backwards in the dock making room for the next new build. That would be Wish. Once Oddesey floats out in the next few weeks AidaCosma which is floating outside at the fitting out pier will take her place in the dock.

So last night the Oddesey moved backwards in the dock making room for the next new build. That would be Wish. Once Oddesey floats out in the next few weeks AidaCosma which is floating outside at the fitting out pier will take her place in the dock.

So is this the correct timing for all these moves? Does this mean the Wish is so far, on schedule?

So is this the correct timing for all these moves? Does this mean the Wish is so far, on schedule?
For the Oddesy shes pretty close. I think that the Wish and Cosma traded places which would explain why Cosma was behind the Oddesey in the dock and had to be moved out first, then will get moved back in. The majority of the blocks sitting next to Oddesey are Cosmas, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wish has a block or 3 in there

This is just my supposition. Back late last year, Port Canaveral suddenly decided to show up in Papenburg, and the Wish went from a Novish first steel cutting to March.At the same time or pretty close to it, Carnival announced the Mardis Gras was being delayed due to additional testing. What the 2 ships have in common is there both being built by MW, and both would be home ported at PC, and both are lng. It seems too coincidental that both were delayed after PC showed up doing tour.

If they move the engine modules from Meyer-Werft Turku, to Papenburg soon that would be a definite indication of the Wish moving ahead with construction, but I do have to speculate that with the recent fires that occurred on the Odyssey of The Seas it could delay it's completion which would push back the rest of the builds. Fortunately the damage was mostly cosmetic and shouldn't take long to put right.

If they move the engine modules from Meyer-Werft Turku, to Papenburg soon that would be a definite indication of the Wish moving ahead with construction, but I do have to speculate that with the recent fires that occurred on the Odyssey of The Seas it could delay it's completion which would push back the rest of the builds. Fortunately the damage was mostly cosmetic and shouldn't take long to put right.

Just judging by the pictures the damage seems internal and they can fix that in Bremerhaven, alongside the pier.They can do it at the pier in Papenberg also. So it shouldn't hold up Cosma and Wish too much. I looked the other night and Oddeseys Maiden is now April of next year. Roughly 6 months. At the moment, Wish seems to be close to being on time, as well as Cosma.The following ships maybe delayed as that's when the supply chain and MW will do a purposeful slow down. How much remains to be seen.

The engine blocks come from Rostock at Neptun Werft not Turku which is in Finland. Rostock supplies all 3 yards with those blocks.

Clearly I need to follow both of your assessments... we're supposed to visit the shipyard in May, but if the ship will be greatly delayed I'd rather postpone the trip. Keep these musings coming please! :rotfl2:

Just judging by the pictures the damage seems internal and they can fix that in Bremerhaven, alongside the pier.They can do it at the pier in Papenberg also. So it shouldn't hold up Cosma and Wish too much. I looked the other night and Oddeseys Maiden is now April of next year. Roughly 6 months. At the moment, Wish seems to be close to being on time, as well as Cosma.The following ships maybe delayed as that's when the supply chain and MW will do a purposeful slow down. How much remains to be seen.

The engine blocks come from Rostock at Neptun Werft not Turku which is in Finland. Rostock supplies all 3 yards with those blocks.
You're correct I confused the 2 other Meyer-Werft shipyards, still I will be looking any indication that they'll be moving the engine module out and bring it to Papenburg, then maybe DCL will give us some kind of indication about the time frame for the Wish, I still expect it to be delayed, possibly up to a year. After all Richard Branson's Scarlet Lady has been floating around FL for nearly 6 months now with out a single paying passenger on board, and it just recently returned to Ficanteri's ship yard in Genoa for "routine maintenance" which could be translated in a "make over" for public spaces like buffets and bars etc.. to prepare for upcoming regulations requiring social distancing etc.

You're correct I confused the 2 other Meyer-Werft shipyards, still I will be looking any indication that they'll be moving the engine module out and bring it to Papenburg, then maybe DCL will give us some kind of indication about the time frame for the Wish, I still expect it to be delayed, possibly up to a year. After all Richard Branson's Scarlet Lady has been floating around FL for nearly 6 months now with out a single paying passenger on board, and it just recently returned to Ficanteri's ship yard in Genoa for "routine maintenance" which could be translated in a "make over" for public spaces like buffets and bars etc.. to prepare for upcoming regulations requiring social distancing etc.
No biggie. Ive done it before. I keep mixing up Rotterdamn and Rostock. Half the time I have to look before I post it. I wish they would update there webcam like Papenburg does on a regular basis. Better yet, it would be nice if they put the live cam back up.

The more I see from Carnival and Royal, the more Im thinking that the Wish will likely be delayed further. Carnival announced late last night the Madis Gras will be delayed again due to supply issues. (Covid Delay would be my guess from reading the post). I forget off hand the new maiden but Im thinking its April of next year. From Nov of this year. Roughly a 6 month delay. Depending on what MW plan is, they could potentially make up the 6 months for the Wish, and Cosma, or let it roll as part of there purposefull slow down. Disney is not doing anyone any favors by keeping there mouth closed on this.

The way I understand it is that MW builds time into there schedule for unexpected issues. (forgetting the pandemic) They may say 18 months build time, with 1 month for testing. In reality, it ends up being 17 month build, with 3 weeks of testing and an early turn over. Its rare that a ship would need the extra time. Freedom of the Seas comes to mind with Queen Mary. FoS had contaminated lube oil in 1 of her pods and had to go from the builders dry dock to another drydock, right after testing. Queen Mary had an issue where they were testing her bow thrusters, and had doors fitted for hydrodynamic reasons, that the normal ships don't need, and 1 door closed unexpectedly during a full power test and blew the door off the ship. She went back to a dd also to repair and replace it. Those are about the only 2 I can think of off hand.

Wish will be sailing by January 2022, according to a source.
That was prior to the pandemic. At this point, Im guessing its a 50/50 shot if she makes that date. From everything going on industry wide, and not just MW, every ship is getting delayed. Forgetting Oddesey for the moment because her delay is different, the yards are having a hard time with their suppliers getting the necessary supplies to the yard on time. Id hazard a guess that shell end up slipping on her time frame also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!