Disney with a disability? JUST DO IT.

Pookles

Mouseketeer
I wanted to share the experience of our first trip which we took in January 2016. Now we are planning for 2019. As the hubby and I have discussed things, some of our issues and thoughts we had on this popped up again. I would like to share them.

We were very apprehensive about going to Disney World and getting around. My husband can walk a bit with crutches, but needs a scooter for any distance. We thought there would be issues somewhere, anywhere, because we are so used to issues in our everyday lives. The only piece we can't speak to is Disney express as we rented an ECV and didn't have it until the morning after arrival.

From the moment our trip started it was very apparent that Disney has thought of everything, or they've tried to. They want our money, but they make darn sure they earn it too. Like my husband said, they are making sure they hook you and get you back. And they don't just want the able bodied!

We cannot recall between us a single time that we had an issue accessing or using or enjoying ANY bit of the parks, we went to the 4 main ones. Considering we have issues almost everywhere near our home in the Twin Cities MN, this is really saying something. The bus transportation worked like a dream, quick and efficient, they really know what they're doing with that. Whether it was monorail, bus or boat, it worked and was easy for us. We never got special treatment, but we sure felt like we got special treatment.

This is why my husband quickly agreed to another trip. Disney made it possible, by the design of the parks and the obvious care they've put into insuring all guests have a great time, for us to have a trip we are eager to repeat. We get to focus all of our attention on having fun together, not on how we're burdened, and it makes it a real vacation. Makes me cry now because frankly we miss out on a lot of family activities due to mobility issues. My husband didn't have to skip any activity. In fact I was sick one day and he took our son horseback riding! WHAT? He would never be able to do this as conveniently at home.

Thank you Disney!

I’m so glad you had a great vacation! Thanks for sharing your experience.
:jumping1:

Aww wow! This is so exciting to hear. I am planning another trip soon, but I worry because I use a wheelchair and the heat is hard on me. I do plan on going in the winter to help with the heat issues.

Bless anyone that can brave Florida in the summer! Not us. We had a great time in Winter and never really had to deal with anything too cold.

Yay! It's so great to hear that you all had such a special time that you are planning your next trip! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!