Disney with Cancer

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but who is the DAS meant to cover? From what I'm seeing here a cancer patient on chemotherapy who is considered 100% disabled in her home country is not included. So what sorts of disabilities are covered? For any disability I can think of, strapping someone into a wheelchair would technically solve the problem.

DAS is for people who cannot access an attraction by way of the standby queue and whose issues are not solved by a mobility device. Disability law and services vary from country to country - so there's no standard for comparison. "Strapping someone in a wheelchair" would not solve the problem for a person who has panic attacks from being confined, for example.

OP - there's so much more sun exposure outside of the attractions than in the queues. I have to limit my sun exposure, so we go in August, of all times, because the parks open early and stay open way after sunset. We take a long break in the afternoon, either for a long, leisurely dinner or a nice nap in the AC of our room. You can buy some really good sunscreen here, and use it liberally and end up going home as pale as you left - that would be me!

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but who is the DAS meant to cover? From what I'm seeing here a cancer patient on chemotherapy who is considered 100% disabled in her home country is not included. So what sorts of disabilities are covered? For any disability I can think of, strapping someone into a wheelchair would technically solve the problem.

No one knows your medical issues in detail. It is intended for people for whom standing in line is a problem and waiting outside the line would help. If you feel it would help you as you are currently being treated for cancer, please go ask for one and be ready to explain why standing in line can be an issue for you. In my experience, Guest Relations wants to help. The sticky at the top of this board is very good for providing the information! :)

Feel free to PM me! (I think it's called Start a Conversation now)

Last edited:
No one knows your medical issues in detail. It is intended for people for whom standing in line is a problem and waiting outside the line would help. If you feel it would help you as you are currently being treated for cancer, please go ask for one and be ready to explain why standing in line can be an issue for you. In my experience, Guest Relations wants to help. The sticky at the top of this board is very good for providing the information! :)

I can't seem to figure out how to PM you, but I'd like to. Thanks.

I had an idea with the sun issue. Feel free to think, "that's the dumbest idea ever", but here goes. Your know cooling towels that drape around your neck. When in the sun , assuming it's too hot for long sleeves, could you just lay a cooling towel across your arms? The skin is covered but with the cooling towel, you won't get overheated. Something else I might do and it might sound stupid, but I'm cheap and I don't care if I look weird. Buy a long sleeve shirt a size or two too big. Cut off the sleeves. Just keep the sleeves with you. Sun too strong, use those to cover your arms. I just thinking out loud. With a wide brim hat protecting your head and neck and with your arms covered that would help a lot. Like I said , just thinking out loud.
Thank you. I actually have a good idea for anyone else who needs this. I have sleeves (shirtless sleeves) made by Columbia that are SPF 100 and are made from a cooling fabric that actually turns cold to the touch when it gets wet. I have them from running. Anyway, they do exist.

Thank you. I actually have a good idea for anyone else who needs this. I have sleeves (shirtless sleeves) made by Columbia that are SPF 100 and are made from a cooling fabric that actually turns cold to the touch when it gets wet. I have them from running. Anyway, they do exist.
I have them too they are great

By the way you need 10 post to PM or Recive a pm

I can't seem to figure out how to PM you, but I'd like to. Thanks.

I tried to PM you and it wouldn't let me.

Just double check your Privacy settings. Click on your name and then Privacy and make sure you have "Start Conversations with You" checked and set to "Members"

In the same screen there should be an area that says "Start a New Conversation"

I tried to PM you and it wouldn't let me.

Just double check your Privacy settings. Click on your name and then Privacy and make sure you have "Start Conversations with You" checked and set to "Members"

In the same screen there should be an area that says "Start a New Conversation"

And I think you might need 10 posts to PM

I agree that no one knows the OP's medical issues like she does, but based on what she stated in her first post, she most likely would not qualify for a DAS. Fatigue, pain, sun exposure can all be handled without a DAS.

I agree that no one knows the OP's medical issues like she does, but based on what she stated in her first post, she most likely would not qualify for a DAS. Fatigue, pain, sun exposure can all be handled without a DAS.
I guess this is a cultural difference (although I am American I have lived most of my adult life in another country). Where I live, an obviously ill person is afforded the right to choose how to best handle their disabilities. I'm finding it mildly horrifying to be told that I should use a wheelchair when I don't require one. To be clear, I'm not horrified by anyone here, just perhaps the culture. I appreciate the advance warning about what to expect when getting to Disney.

Where I live someone on chemotherapy is considered disabled. Disabled people (whatever the disability - this includes children on the autism spectrum, wheelchair bound people, mentally ill folks) are not required to wait on line anywhere. I find it rather upsetting that I would have to discuss the details of my illness (which is not an obscure, unknown condition) with a non-medical person when anyone who looks at me could figure out that standing on line for 2 hours would be a challenge.

Again, not upset at any of you. Just sort of bewildered by the cultural differences.

Yes, a agree,

I really wish Disney did not call it the Disability pass as people think I have a Disability so I need this pass, ( calling it the alternative waiting pass would have been better)

OP one thing I would suggest you do is think of what you need in line, you said you get tired easy, that you are in pain and that you can not be in the sun. If there are other things then add them to your list. I would go into Gr nd say I have some a disability and I get tired very easy, I can not be in the sun for a long time, and I have pain if I stand or sit too long, ( or any other thing you think should be added) what is the best way for me to tour Disney. I would do it this way because you know your self your body best and Disney CM know Disney best and this way you can come up with something that does work for you. in the End they might say to use a mobility device a DAS or something else ( I do know people that have been given extra FP because of there disability and no I am not saying that this will happen to you) but if you go in and say I need a DAS then the CM might not think of other things that not only can make your vacation better but make it better then you can imagine. I really do want you to have a great vacation but I think you are stuck on the fact that it is a disability pass and yes you do have a disability but it really does not sound like it will do what you think it does, like I said before it is just like I have a learning disability but I do not need a disabled parking pass as I have no problems walking, The accommodation I need are different ( like when I was in school I took test in a quiet area I got more time to take test) just like your is more stamina sun issues that are not really covered by the DAS they hare covered by using a mobility device ( and no you do not have to sit in a mobility device all the time, I think for you a wheel chair would work very well where you can push it and sit when needed).

another things that I think can help your vacation if you get tired and do not want to go back to your hotel Fist aid have bed/coats in all the park, 95% of the time it is very quiet ( and if you need to most of them you can turn the light off and it can be simi dark and cool in there ( the time it is not is mostly when someone most of the time a child get hurt and is crying, but they try there best to keep it quiet) you can go in and rest some and recharge ( and get some water)

*** also you are more then welcome to go into Gr as often as you like if you find something is not working for you, or talk to the CM at the rides if you have a hard time with accessing the ride itself, The CM really do go out of there way ( for the most part) to make your vacation great.

Last edited:
I guess this is a cultural difference (although I am American I have lived most of my adult life in another country). Where I live, an obviously ill person is afforded the right to choose how to best handle their disabilities. I'm finding it mildly horrifying to be told that I should use a wheelchair when I don't require one. To be clear, I'm not horrified by anyone here, just perhaps the culture. I appreciate the advance warning about what to expect when getting to Disney.

Where I live someone on chemotherapy is considered disabled. Disabled people (whatever the disability - this includes children on the autism spectrum, wheelchair bound people, mentally ill folks) are not required to wait on line anywhere. I find it rather upsetting that I would have to discuss the details of my illness (which is not an obscure, unknown condition) with a non-medical person when anyone who looks at me could figure out that standing on line for 2 hours would be a challenge.

Again, not upset at any of you. Just sort of bewildered by the cultural differences.

so where you are from anyone with any kind of disability can get a parking tag and park closer to store even if they have something like autism and have no problem walking taking away a spot from someone with a mobility problem that needs it?

Alright, I'll message you when/if I hit 10. Thank you anyway.

Yes, please feel free to do so whenever!

Honestly, I don't feel safe discussing these matters on this board but I can share my experiences with you, which may be of use.

so where you are from anyone with any kind of disability can get a parking tag and park closer to store even if they have something like autism and have no problem walking taking away a spot from someone with a mobility problem that needs it?
In order to be considered disabled you must apply to a central governmental body. You bring medical documentation to support your request and are generally called before a board of doctors who ask you questions. In my case, all I needed to provide was sufficient medical documentation to show that I have cancer, am on chemo, and just had surgery. Our healthcare system is socialized so you can't really forge documentation.

In order to get disabled parking I had to provide (again to a central government body - the DMV) documentation as to why I needed it. They are not given out for the same reasons that the general disabled classification is given. For me, I got it because sometimes it is extremely painful for me to walk. I would never use it when I'm not in pain, that wouldn't be fair. I doubt that someone with a non-mobility related disability would get handicapped parking. But, they are considered disabled for other purposes.

I just wanted to say that my mother went to Disney between sessions of her chemo and it was a great boost for her. She really enjoyed herself whilst she was there and was able to get into the magic and forget about her cancer for a while.
She stayed on-site and used a scooter, with plans for meals, but also plans for relaxing when she was not feeling well enough to be doing much.
Have a phenomenal trip.

In order to be considered disabled you must apply to a central governmental body. You bring medical documentation to support your request and are generally called before a board of doctors who ask you questions. In my case, all I needed to provide was sufficient medical documentation to show that I have cancer, am on chemo, and just had surgery. Our healthcare system is socialized so you can't really forge documentation.

In order to get disabled parking I had to provide (again to a central government body - the DMV) documentation as to why I needed it. They are not given out for the same reasons that the general disabled classification is given. For me, I got it because sometimes it is extremely painful for me to walk. I would never use it when I'm not in pain, that wouldn't be fair. I doubt that someone with a non-mobility related disability would get handicapped parking. But, they are considered disabled for other purposes.
so it is the samething, not every disability need a DAS but some need other thing, you keep on saying that you have pain when walking so what are you going to do if you start to have pain when walking? I really do want you to have a great vacation but a DAS will more then likely make it make it wasrt, if you really want a das you can lie and tell the CM something that is not true very easy to find out what to say to get a DAS but this is up to you.

I completely understand the surprise, as different countries handle things differently.

In the U.S., there is a specific definition to be considered "disabled" as it relates to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Under the ADA, accommodations that make access possible must be offered, but they don't have to be the preferred accommodation of the disabled person.

Additionally, the ADA prohibits businesses from asking what the disability is, since people with the same disability could have different needs in order to gain access.

There is no reason for you to discuss the details of your illness, but if you request a DAS, you need to be able to explain what about your disability makes it difficult for you to wait in the standby line, and why making you wait in the standby line would would essentially deny you access to the attraction.

so it is the samething, not every disability need a DAS but some need other thing, you keep on saying that you have pain when walking so what are you going to do if you start to have pain when walking? I really do want you to have a great vacation but a DAS will more then likely make it make it wasrt, if you really want a das you can lie and tell the CM something that is not true very easy to find out what to say to get a DAS but this is up to you.
I think it's sad that I would need to lie in order to get something I shouldn't have to lie for. I understand what you're saying that it's not really for disabled people, but rather for people who have difficulty waiting in a line.

This vacation is not only for me, it is mostly for my kids (and was booked before I knew I had cancer). I am trying to figure out how to make my cancer have less of an impact on my kids' trip. Waiting on a line would have been perfectly normal for me 6 months ago, but is now very painful and difficult.

I had hoped to find others in this board who had traveled to Disney while dealing with cancer and chemotherapy in order to gain insight. Instead I've found some folks who are basically treating me like someone trying to milk the system, when in fact I have a terminal illness. I never said I have pain from walking. You said that. I have pain just from being. It is a side ffect of the chemo I am on, called Taxol. Chronic pain is exhausting.

I think it's sad that I would need to lie in order to get something I shouldn't have to lie for. I understand what you're saying that it's not really for disabled people, but rather for people who have difficulty waiting in a line.

This vacation is not only for me, it is mostly for my kids (and was booked before I knew I had cancer). I am trying to figure out how to make my cancer have less of an impact on my kids' trip. Waiting on a line would have been perfectly normal for me 6 months ago, but is now very painful and difficult.

I had hoped to find others in this board who had traveled to Disney while dealing with cancer and chemotherapy in order to gain insight. Instead I've found some folks who are basically treating me like someone trying to milk the system, when in fact I have a terminal illness. I never said I have pain from walking. You said that. I have pain just from being. It is a side ffect of the chemo I am on, called Taxol. Chronic pain is exhausting.

This is why I think you need to sit down and think what kinds of problems will you encounter at Disney what kinds of problem will you have in line think about this and go to GR and let them know. from what you said you have pain ( what causes your pain) you get tiered and have problem with the sun. I would go to Gr and let them know these thing and aks them what would work for you.

I do know someone that went to Disney about 4 months before they died of cancer they had a great time ( and never used or asked for a DAS) You just seem like the only thing that will make this vacation is if you have a DAS and fromwhat you have said I can see no reason why you need a DAS a DAS will not make your waits shorter in fact it might make it longer, a DAS will not make it so you walk less in fact it will make it so you walk more, a DAS will not keep you out of the sun it for sure will make you be in the sun more, but you seem to be so fixed on I have a Disability I need the Disability pass when in fact from what you said it wil make it harder for you less enjoyable for you. So yes you can lie and get one if that is what you want, or you can sit down and think of the problem challenge you might/will encounter and write them down/ remember them and then go in to GR and talk to the CM there about who to turn Disney and how to make it the best trip for you and your family. ( one reason why I told you can go back to gr if you notice you are having a hard time with something) and one thing the person that I know that had cancer did was he got an I am celebration and put life on it he knows he was terminal but for his life was a celibration and he lived each day to the fullest.

I see you have 10 posts now.

I really do want you to have a great trip and I hope it is full of fun great memories for you and your family and more pixie dust then you can imagine, Disney is really where Dreams come true. I am not trying to be mean to you at all just telling you how i see thing from what you have said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!