Disney Wonder cruise ship worker dies at sea

At least 255 people have tested positive on the Disney Wonder since March 1????? :O
That includes all the passengers on the WBPC, and, I believe, the cruise just before it who tested positive (some of them after the fact).

The last positive test onboard the Wonder was May 8.

Shouldn’t they know by now if it was COVID? If it was something else they would have been eager to report it as soon as possible. But if it was coronavirus they must be trying to figure out the best way to frame this and take care of everyone else on board, etc.

Shouldn’t they know by now if it was COVID? If it was something else they would have been eager to report it as soon as possible. But if it was coronavirus they must be trying to figure out the best way to frame this and take care of everyone else on board, etc.
I would think so too. The CDC ratings for this week list all the Disney ships as green.

The intention of the story for what ever reason is to make you believe there are over 255 crew (not guests) that are STILL sick with Covid-19, the overwhelming majority of that 255 number were ASYMPTOMATIC or not showing signs off illness from the virus, and have since recovered, the latest CDC rating indicates that the Wonder has gone over 28 days with OUT a positive test result. That number they arrived at was from they began testing crew on March 1st. There is also suspicion that there was some virus positive community contact with shore side workers in San Diego, which when the Wonder arrived there was seeing a sharp increase in positive test results at that time. And after all the guests had departed the ship the crew continued to experience positive test results while in port and cycling in and out of San Diego during the subsequent month after the WBPC cruise ended.

It says he passed away on Tues 06/23. So how does that work? Do they just keep the body onboard until they port in the U.S.? The reason I ask is that Covid rapid tests here only take 15 minutes to get results and the CM passed away over a week ago. So why no results? For the safety of the other crew members wouldn't they need to know if it was Covid? Do they not know if he was Covid positive because the body was never removed from the ship and they're waiting to test when they can get to a port where the body can be moved? Do we even have the option of knowing the results of tests or is that info confidential and not reported by the media?

So we may never know cause of death then. Maybe that's why Wonder was still able to maintain the green color coded CDC thing.
Well they probably have to report a positive test to the CDC (with no name attached). But, maybe it hasn't been done yet.

EDITED TO ADD: The CDC green rating - that's a little more explainable, even if he tests positive. The Wonder was yellow, on Jun 23, when the death seems to have happened. The CDC ratings change (if they're going to) on Tuesdays. It's possible that a test may not have been done in time to make the recent (today) Tuesday rating release, and since the Wonder at this time has had no positive tests for the required length of time the green was issued.

Last edited:
Kind of a morbid topic but with this news story it made me think about this subject. Many people on here have been cruising many more years than me and on various other cruise lines so they may have even been on a cruise when someone has passed? Do they keep the body on board till the cruise is over or do they helo it out right away? Also, if they do keep the body onboard, do they put it in the same freezer they keep our food? Do they have to turn around and go back to port? I can't imagine there's just a ton of empty freezers with the limited space on cruise ships. I apologize in advance if this is an unsettling question to ask the hive but with millions of people cruising, I would not be surprised if this kind of scenario did not happen again, so just wondering what happens when there are passengers on board and not just crew.

Kind of a morbid topic but with this news story it made me think about this subject. Many people on here have been cruising many more years than me and on various other cruise lines so they may have even been on a cruise when someone has passed? Do they keep the body on board till the cruise is over or do they helo it out right away? Also, if they do keep the body onboard, do they put it in the same freezer they keep our food? Do they have to turn around and go back to port? I can't imagine there's just a ton of empty freezers with the limited space on cruise ships. I apologize in advance if this is an unsettling question to ask the hive but with millions of people cruising, I would not be surprised if this kind of scenario did not happen again, so just wondering what happens when there are passengers on board and not just crew.

They have a morgue within medical.

They have a morgue. They are not throwing dead bodies in the kitchen freezer.

As noted, there is a morgue onboard. Small, but there is one.

As to removing the body, I believe, when possible they will return it to the home port. There are PVSA laws that affect that. If the cruise is a long one, or starts and ends in different ports, it's possible the body could be removed in a port an flown to wherever the deceased person's next of kin (or estate manager) requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter