Disney World first-timer and first solo trip ever

You will have a blast, I've taken many trips to WDW solo, so many I don't even know how many and almost enjoy those more than when I'm with family.

I would suggest if you aren't used to going places by yourself, try it at home somewhere you are comfortable with first. Go to a restaurant you frequent, go to a park or some other place you go with others just to get used to it. Don't hesitate to go to TS restaurants in Disney, they really don't pay much attention if anything you will get a tad better service. Of if you aren't comfortable with that, eat at the lounges/bars. They all have food and if they are associated with a restaurant, lots of times you can order off the full menu.

It will be hot, I'm talking the seventh level of a very hot place hot. It will rain and it will then be hot and muggy. Make sure you drink lots of water, there is free water at every quick service restaurant, some have them sitting out, some you have to ask but drink water. Take at least 3 pairs of shoes, did I mention it will rain?

Don't overplan, I can't stress this enough. If you read this board you will see where people have their entire day planned out and think you have to run yourself to death going from ride to ride to ride and doing everything. You can't do everything, I've been going for over 35 years and still haven't done everything. We don't plan, I'm talking no ADRs except day of and no FPs except day of while standing in line and then just one and no more than 45 min. away. I'm not saying go to that extreme of non-planning, book your 3 FPs and then maybe go with the flow. Did I mention it will be hot and it will rain? You might find you would just rather go back to the resort for a dip in the pool mid afternoon or sit on a bench in the shade with a drink - refreshing adult or not - and just people watch.

Most important, enjoy.

You are going to have a blast! I will be heading to WDW in late April for my 5th solo trip, and I can’t wait! WDW was the place I took my first ever solo trip, and it was a perfect way to break into solo travel. I’ve never felt less than 100% safe at WDW and Disney Springs. I do watch my surroundings of course, but I’ve never had an issue.

As a fellow introvert, I really enjoy being able to go an entire day without having to talk to anyone if I don’t feel like it. I have had many wonderful interactions with fellow Disney fans too, though.

Definitely do learn how to best leverage the FP+ system before you go. You will be able to get lots of great same day FP as a solo traveler. My biggest June tip? Get a Frog Toggs Chilly Pad cooling towel and use it! I wear tank tops to the parks and then sling this around me like a sort of cape. It keeps me quite cool, and also keeps the sun off. The cooling towels they sell in the parks are piddly and expensive. $8 on Amazon is going to make a big difference to your trip!

Good advice has already been given so u will add the bar at Morimoto is amazing! You can order the full menu and the staff will take good care of you! Have fun!

Good advice has already been given so u will add the bar at Morimoto is amazing! You can order the full menu and the staff will take good care of you! Have fun!

Hi, me again. Not sure if someone will see this but I've got some additional questions/need some advise on:

I decided to do VAH on June 5 (to further maximize my short trip & it's a birthday gift from my sister!). It'll be on my last night in the park. As scheduled, I'll be spending most of that day on AK. I booked an 8:50 breakfast at Tusker House to get in the park early. My must-do include Flight of Passage, Na'vi River Journey, Expedition Everest (SR), Kilimanjaro Safari, and see Pandora at night. IF I have time, I also would like to do Dinosaurs and watch Lion King OR Nemo musical.

Is it doable? Any suggestions on how I should go about my AK day? What time do you think should I start heading to MK for VAH? Is it OK if I miss out on River of Lights? I want to get into MK before VAH starts, I'm just not sure when's the best time to go.

Another note, I am thinking of getting Memory Maker for this solo trip (not purchased yet). I figured it'll be convenient for me since I don't need to bring a camera and no need to ask other guests to take pictures for me. Since it's my first, I want to document this trip. I'm doing 2 character meals (TH and Princess dining at Akershus) and planning to do the thrill rides. Is it worth it even though I'm solo? Any advise on how I could make the most use of MM?

Figure at least one hour from the time you leave AK until you get to MK. In my experience that trip is a long one - waiting for the bus.

Yes, it's okay to miss out on Rivers of Light.

Memory Maker seems like a good purchase for this trip for all the reasons you mention. I say it's worth it.

Hello! I've always wanted to try travelling solo and I love Disney so I've decided to celebrate my 30th birthday at Disney World!!!

I've been to Disneyland twice with my fam and I LOVED every single second I spent there. But I haven't been to Florida, so that makes me a bit nervous, oh and did I mention that it's my first solo trip as well? Yeah. I am an introvert and a shy person but I want to push myself to get out there and meet new people and make new adventures! Let's call it my "Breaking out of my shell" Trip.

I'm already booked to go this June 1-6 and will be staying on-site at All-Star Music. (I'll be flying in from Manitoba, Canada)

I've been doing some research for my upcoming trip and happened to discover this amazing community. Reading other people's Disney experiences is quite fun.

Here's my plan so far:
Day 1: Arrival + Disney Springs
Day 2: Epcot
Day 3: Magic Kingdom
Day 4: Hollywood Studios
Day 5: Animal Kingdom
Day 6: Departure

I'm a bit scared but mostly excited. I know that more and more people visit DW solo, but what should I expect for my first solo trip? Anything I should prepare myself for? Is it safe? Any tips/advise/recommendations for this "Single-lady-about-to-turn-30-Solo-traveller" will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Hi, me again. Not sure if someone will see this but I've got some additional questions/need some advise on:

I decided to do VAH on June 5 (to further maximize my short trip & it's a birthday gift from my sister!). It'll be on my last night in the park. As scheduled, I'll be spending most of that day on AK. I booked an 8:50 breakfast at Tusker House to get in the park early. My must-do include Flight of Passage, Na'vi River Journey, Expedition Everest (SR), Kilimanjaro Safari, and see Pandora at night. IF I have time, I also would like to do Dinosaurs and watch Lion King OR Nemo musical.

Is it doable? Any suggestions on how I should go about my AK day? What time do you think should I start heading to MK for VAH? Is it OK if I miss out on River of Lights? I want to get into MK before VAH starts, I'm just not sure when's the best time to go.

Another note, I am thinking of getting Memory Maker for this solo trip (not purchased yet). I figured it'll be convenient for me since I don't need to bring a camera and no need to ask other guests to take pictures for me. Since it's my first, I want to document this trip. I'm doing 2 character meals (TH and Princess dining at Akershus) and planning to do the thrill rides. Is it worth it even though I'm solo? Any advise on how I could make the most use of MM?
Happy early birthday! I'm terrible at writing trip reports (as in actually sitting down & writing them), but I wrote one from a solo trip I did previously & it's in my signature if you want to check it out! I've been doing solo trips since I was 24 (now I'm 30), ever since a friend bailed on me and I went anyway. Honestly it was SO much fun that I've kept doing them! I'm guessing you don't have a park hopper? I always feel very safe at Disney as a solo traveler. Since you're coming from Canada I want to just emphasize that it can get hot in Florida in June, haha. Remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day (start in the morning!), even if you're not feeling thirsty, and especially if you're enjoying adult beverages. Bring sunscreen & a hat. Since you're staying on site, I highly recommend rope-dropping a park, taking a midday break at your hotel pool, and then heading back into the parks after a few hours. It'll give you a chance to rest & cool off. I swear, Epcot World Showcase in the summer at 1pm is hotter than hell. I do summer trips all the time but it's important to be prepared for the heat.

That being said, keep an eye on park hours as your dates get closer (especially once May rolls around) because they might change! Don't be afraid to change your plans on a dime & be flexible. If you want to see Pandora at night (skip Rivers of Light and I personally wouldn't wait very long for Navi river journey either), might I suggest swapping your Epcot & Animal Kingdom days? I love Animal Kingdom at night and the sun won't set in early June until after 8:15pm. I love Epcot but I think it might be more enjoyable as a morning/afternoon park, and then you can head over to VAH that evening. I believe you can enter Magic Kingdom as early as 7pm for that event & you'll probably be more than ready to head that way after a full day at Epcot, especially with all the construction happening there. Epcot Forever is cute but if I had to choose between that & the nighttime experience at AK, I'd choose AK. That means you'd have to move your reservation but as a solo traveler I'd never had too much of an issue doing that. I don't know about whether MM is worth it, because as a passholder I get it for free, but I really enjoy it! I didn't "want" it when they added it & raised prices, but I always make a beeline for photopass photographers when I see them now. They're all over the parks, not just on rides, and it's a fun way to document your trip.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions too!

Happy early birthday! I'm terrible at writing trip reports (as in actually sitting down & writing them), but I wrote one from a solo trip I did previously & it's in my signature if you want to check it out! I've been doing solo trips since I was 24 (now I'm 30), ever since a friend bailed on me and I went anyway. Honestly it was SO much fun that I've kept doing them! I'm guessing you don't have a park hopper? I always feel very safe at Disney as a solo traveler. Since you're coming from Canada I want to just emphasize that it can get hot in Florida in June, haha. Remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day (start in the morning!), even if you're not feeling thirsty, and especially if you're enjoying adult beverages. Bring sunscreen & a hat. Since you're staying on site, I highly recommend rope-dropping a park, taking a midday break at your hotel pool, and then heading back into the parks after a few hours. It'll give you a chance to rest & cool off. I swear, Epcot World Showcase in the summer at 1pm is hotter than hell. I do summer trips all the time but it's important to be prepared for the heat.

That being said, keep an eye on park hours as your dates get closer (especially once May rolls around) because they might change! Don't be afraid to change your plans on a dime & be flexible. If you want to see Pandora at night (skip Rivers of Light and I personally wouldn't wait very long for Navi river journey either), might I suggest swapping your Epcot & Animal Kingdom days? I love Animal Kingdom at night and the sun won't set in early June until after 8:15pm. I love Epcot but I think it might be more enjoyable as a morning/afternoon park, and then you can head over to VAH that evening. I believe you can enter Magic Kingdom as early as 7pm for that event & you'll probably be more than ready to head that way after a full day at Epcot, especially with all the construction happening there. Epcot Forever is cute but if I had to choose between that & the nighttime experience at AK, I'd choose AK. That means you'd have to move your reservation but as a solo traveler I'd never had too much of an issue doing that. I don't know about whether MM is worth it, because as a passholder I get it for free, but I really enjoy it! I didn't "want" it when they added it & raised prices, but I always make a beeline for photopass photographers when I see them now. They're all over the parks, not just on rides, and it's a fun way to document your trip.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions too!

Thank you! I don't have park hoppers. (I have the 4-day Canadian tix) I am definitely open to switching things around. I originally scheduled Epcot for June 2 coz of Extra magic hours that day. But now that you mentioned it, I think it makes sense to spend more park hours at AK than Epcot. I'll look into changing my dining reservations. Also, if I swap my AK day to Epcot, that means I could ride the monorail from Epcot to MK right? That's a plus for me!

Thank you! I don't have park hoppers. (I have the 4-day Canadian tix) I am definitely open to switching things around. I originally scheduled Epcot for June 2 coz of Extra magic hours that day. But now that you mentioned it, I think it makes sense to spend more park hours at AK than Epcot. I'll look into changing my dining reservations. Also, if I swap my AK day to Epcot, that means I could ride the monorail from Epcot to MK right? That's a plus for me!
You can! You'll have to take it from Epcot to the TTC & then transfer to go to MK, so be sure to allow enough time for that.

A few important items to bring along for a June visit to WDW:

• A rain poncho for those quick afternoon downpours
  • Sunscreen
  • Bands or pins to put your hair up - long hair hanging over your neck and beyond will make you feel like you are wearing a wool scarf around your neck
  • A small, handheld battery-operated fan, such as sold at dollar stores, can provide a pleasant breeze, when standing in line in the sun/heat, for an extended period of time
  • A battery pack for your cell phone (the My Disney Experience can quickly drain your battery)
  • Small supply of Band Aids, topical antibiotic, Tylenol or Advil, etc.
You can purchase many of the items onsite at WDW, if needed, but Disney charges 3x to 4x the normal purchase price.

Most importantly, bring along an adventurous attitude and excitement for the great time you will have.

BTW, Disney Cast Members are there to help. If you have any questions or issues, don't be afraid to ask for assistance. They are the best.

I'll be flying in on the 5th for my own solo birthday trip, and doing VAH that night. If you'd like a party buddy that could be fun. Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

Happy Birthday!
I'll keep telling myself to be brave and overcome my shyness bit by bit! I'll probably keep most of my schedule open and be spontaneous.
I put in the work against an anxiety disorder every day and I will tell you, for me at least, WDW is so different from the real world that my own personal shyness is much easier to set aside for the day (days or even week) that I spend inside the bubble. You'll do great. The first step is getting through that first arch.

Something that may help is to announce that you're celebrating a birthday with a free button they have for you. This will trigger the cast members instincts to jump in and just start talking to you. Something else I have seen work well is to write "Just a Little Shy" along the outer edge of your button in a smaller text size. A CM did this for an adult friend of mine a few years ago and CMs wishing him a happy birthday would tend to open him up a bit more than normal.

Is it doable?
Is it OK if I miss out on River of Lights?
Villains is a lot of fun. If you can add hoppers, coming in to AK on the tail end of a different park day is a good strat, just to see the evening sights.
Rivers of light is pretty neat but it's a time sink and having done it once I can't say it was the best use of my time and I've never gone back. Na'vi River is another one that I'll only do if there's nothing better going on. Honestly it's so much screens in there might as well just watch a video of the ride.

Tusker is a great breakfast. Everything else you should be able to manage depending on how many FPs you snag.

Another note, I am thinking of getting Memory Maker for this solo trip (not purchased yet). I figured it'll be convenient for me since I don't need to bring a camera and no need to ask other guests to take pictures for me.
MM is convenient but it's pricey. I'm torn, because we love keeping our trip photos. It's like $150? yeesh, that's a hard pill to swallow, I can't say what I would end up doing.

I will say that at every character meet and character dining, one of the character handlers will more than happily take a pic of you with the character. You won't need to bug a stranger for that much. Pictures at scenic photo-spots I don't know. I've never thought to ask a camera person at one of these spots to hit me with my own cam, but I suspect they will.

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions. If you don;t have any maps of the park .... go on eBay there are a few folks that sell current year maps at a good price ... it also starts to bring the mgic right into your life. Engage the Cast Members ~ they are awesome resources and very friendly. And make those dinner reservations in advance. Early June is a great time ~ crows are way down. Got our fingers crossed that your trip stays on track. (PS: DW from Winnipeg says hello and have fun!!!)

Hello! I've always wanted to try travelling solo and I love Disney so I've decided to celebrate my 30th birthday at Disney World!!!

I've been to Disneyland twice with my fam and I LOVED every single second I spent there. But I haven't been to Florida, so that makes me a bit nervous, oh and did I mention that it's my first solo trip as well? Yeah. I am an introvert and a shy person but I want to push myself to get out there and meet new people and make new adventures! Let's call it my "Breaking out of my shell" Trip.

I'm already booked to go this June 1-6 and will be staying on-site at All-Star Music. (I'll be flying in from Manitoba, Canada)

I've been doing some research for my upcoming trip and happened to discover this amazing community. Reading other people's Disney experiences is quite fun.

Here's my plan so far:

I'm a bit scared but mostly excited. I know that more and more people visit DW solo, but what should I expect for my first solo trip? Anything I should prepare myself for? Is it safe? Any tips/advise/recommendations for this "Single-lady-about-to-turn-30-Solo-traveller" will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Hi Emie
Hope you are well and health is good
Happy birthday!! Mine is June 2nd so I’m around the same time!!!
Have you managed to rearrange trip yet??
I have moved mine from July to December
I myself have been twice but next trip is solo
I can offer you some advice as best I can in terms of tips and stuff but am slightly nervous yet excited for my first time solo to Disney World at end of year (Virus permitting lol)
Anywhere just wanted to say hi and hope you are well
Ant

Here's my plan so far:

Hi Emie
I can offer you some advice as best I can in terms of tips and stuff but am slightly nervous yet excited for my first time solo to Disney World at end of year (Virus permitting lol)
Ant
Please realize the size of WDW. It is 40 square miles. No car needed. One can take the Disney busses, water transportation and monorail. Just remember where yo get on and off the bus. You must return to that particular section for your resort to catch the bus back to your resort. Never fear as there is always Uber if you need it. I always use Disney transportation when staying on grounds.
I would have loved to have been an independent tour director showing new visitors where to go, how to get there and things not to be missed. Enjoy your birthday!

Hi Emie
Ant
Hi Ant! Thanks and a happy birthday to you too! My most awaited solo trip have been officially cancelled :( Bummer! My airline already cancelled my flight so I decided it's time to cancel everything. (heartbreaking) But I want to look at the bright side and I'm already thinking about when i should resched. I'm thinking maybe June 2021. hopefully, everything is "back to normal" by then.
Hope your trip will go as planned. Stay safe!

Hello, fellow Manitoban!

I'm so sorry your first WDW trip has been canceled. Such a bummer. I promise it will be awesome once you finally get to go! This site has been a huge help for me over the years to feel prepared. I will be doing my first solo trip next April (hopefully!) And I'm very excited.

Hello, fellow Manitoban!

I'm so sorry your first WDW trip has been canceled. Such a bummer. I promise it will be awesome once you finally get to go! This site has been a huge help for me over the years to feel prepared. I will be doing my first solo trip next April (hopefully!) And I'm very excited.
wow nice to hear from a fellow Manitoban! I wanted to have the full WDW experience so i figured the long wait will be worth it! I will not rush into re-scheduling my trip this year. Hopefully next year will be our year! Cheers!

Hi from another Manitoban and first time solo trip planner! I’ve been feeling the Disney bug lately and I’ve decided to plan a solo trip when possible. I’m also a fellow single female introvert and I think this will be a great trip! I’m new to the boards so I need to do more posts before I can say hi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!