disney worlders headed to land for the first time

ryanstrain69

Earning My Ears
hello my wife and I are lifetime WDW visitors but this year we've decided to make the pilgrimage to DL for the first time and we're discovering that there's a world of differences the main being that it doesn't seem as if visiting DL isn't the cluster that visiting WDW can be as it is our first trip and if I'm correct in my assumptions this won't be the last we are wanting the best possible trip and best plan for getting everything we can done on this trip of course we know we can't see it all but we do want to get the most out of our first trip will be arriving on Mon. Oct. 7th and leaving on Fri. Oct.11th we wont be staying on site but at the Hilton we have purchased maxpass and park hopper also we wanted to do the Halloween party so we've also purchased those tickets so I'm looking for any advise that y'all may have to offer as in how does the maxpass system work and what do we need to know to get the most out of it what shows should we catch maybe some kind of game plan to help us see and do the most any and all help will be apricated thank you

Glad to hear you'll be making the trip. The first time I went, I remember feeling like I was in "bizarro world" in that things are so similar but different. It's fun to compare and contrast some of the rides too. Some of the "same" rides are virtually identical, but others are very different. Space Mountain at DL is nothing like it's MK counterpart, however the MK version was in fact based on The Matterhorn Bobsleds - you'll notice the similarities! Do not miss the Indiana Jones ride as it is a highlight of DL (though based on ride technology similar a ride at AK). I also highly recommend Mickey and the Magical Map, a stage show in Fantasyland. It's worth making the time for.

I have stayed at the Hilton many times, and it is a quick walk to DL. You can also cross Harbor Blvd. and walk to the Toy Story lot and take the shuttle from there, but honestly, it's barely worth it. You are basically one "California Adventure" away from the Harbor entrance, so just walking along the outskirts is easy enough. The Hilton's entrance faces away from DLR though, and I usually walk the little road to Katella along the hotels loading dock and such. It seems a little quicker than walking over to Harbor (you can cut through some parking lots to cut that corner off if you want). The walk is safe and usually crowded with other Disney people, though at night there may be some beggars and street vendors, but I've never seen any incidents or anything. The entire area is generally very nice.

Enjoy your trip and :welcome: to the DIS!

Glad to hear you'll be making the trip. The first time I went, I remember feeling like I was in "bizarro world" in that things are so similar but different. It's fun to compare and contrast some of the rides too. Some of the "same" rides are virtually identical, but others are very different. Space Mountain at DL is nothing like it's MK counterpart, however the MK version was in fact based on The Matterhorn Bobsleds - you'll notice the similarities! Do not miss the Indiana Jones ride as it is a highlight of DL (though based on ride technology similar a ride at AK). I also highly recommend Mickey and the Magical Map, a stage show in Fantasyland. It's worth making the time for.

I have stayed at the Hilton many times, and it is a quick walk to DL. You can also cross Harbor Blvd. and walk to the Toy Story lot and take the shuttle from there, but honestly, it's barely worth it. You are basically one "California Adventure" away from the Harbor entrance, so just walking along the outskirts is easy enough. The Hilton's entrance faces away from DLR though, and I usually walk the little road to Katella along the hotels loading dock and such. It seems a little quicker than walking over to Harbor (you can cut through some parking lots to cut that corner off if you want). The walk is safe and usually crowded with other Disney people, though at night there may be some beggars and street vendors, but I've never seen any incidents or anything. The entire area is generally very nice.

Enjoy your trip and :welcome: to the DIS!
thank you that's some great advice

ok what about night time shows which ones to see? Should we use a fastpass on them or maybe a dining package? if so which one do you think is better options what about fireworks and parades are there spots you'd like to get for a good view and as far as what time should you be in your spot before the show/parade?

ok what about night time shows which ones to see? Should we use a fastpass on them or maybe a dining package? if so which one do you think is better options what about fireworks and parades are there spots you'd like to get for a good view and as far as what time should you be in your spot before the show/parade?

Well, Fantasmic! is great and different from the WDW version now, though I actually prefer the original. It's still worth seeing and probably the best one to do a dining package for. World of Color is a can't miss and unlike anything at WDW. I think you're okay with a FastPass (get one early) but if you want a seat, there is a desert party. Unlike WDW desert parties though, they serve you at a table and it is not "all you care to enjoy" but I hear it's good.

I don't know which fireworks will be running, but I saw that Disneyland Forever is coming back. You should see that too. It's pretty great! I doub't you'll need to get in position too early, but maybe if you want a spot in front of the castle. They do projections all down Main Street, so I like watching from a little back so tht you are between the buildings. Als, at DL you can see the fireworks from the Rivers of America (Fantasmic!) area and the project on the water screens, or at It's a Small World and the porject onto the facade. They're all good choices, though I really liek Main Street.

How Maxpass works:
Once you enter the park, you can get a Fastpass on your phone. You will be given one 1-hour time slot unlike at WDW where you have multiple times to choose from. When you can get another Fastpass depends:

If the beginning of the time you get is in less than 30 minutes, you have to wait 30 minutes to get a new Fastpass. However, there is an exception. If you use the Fastpass before those 30
minutes have passed, you can go ahead and get another one.

If the beginning of the time you get is between 30-90 minutes away, you can get a new Fastpass at the beginning of that time, whether or not you have used that Fastpass.

If the beginning of the time you get is more than 90 minutes away, you can get a new Fastpass in 90 minutes.

You can’t have 2 Fastpasses for the same ride at one time, but once you have used a Fastpass for a ride or if it has expired, you can get another Fastpass for that ride. The only exception to this is if the ride breaks down and the Fastpass becomes a multiple experience Fastpass, you can get another Fastpass for that ride.

It is best to know ahead of time which Fastpasses run out the quickest. In Disneyland, the order (from running out fastest to slowest) goes roughly: Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain when hot, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Roger Rabbit, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain when not hot. In California Adventure, the order goes roughly: Radiator Springs Racers (these go VERY quickly!), Guardians of the Galaxy, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, Incredicoaster, Goofy’s Sky School, Grizzly River Run.

I recommend some single rider lines and not others. I recommend Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain sometimes, Grizzly River Run, Radiator Springs Racers, and Incredicoaster sometimes.

To do rope drop (what you do first each day), I recommend getting to the park an hour or more before park opening. Star Wars will be open by then, so definitely do that first. If you want to do Peter Pan, you can also do that first but only if you can be one of the first on it. Guardians is generally the one we do first in California Adventure.

Make sure to get churros! Have fun!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...ie-bash-party-to-be-held-in-dca-only.3731676/

For Halloween party info, check this thread. Make sure you read! Has great info! I went to a Halloween party for the first time 2 years ago and closely followed the super thread that year! It made a huge difference! And it's not just party info, it's also about merchandise and Halloween specific offerings throughout the park.

How Maxpass works:
Once you enter the park, you can get a Fastpass on your phone. You will be given one 1-hour time slot unlike at WDW where you have multiple times to choose from. When you can get another Fastpass depends:

If the beginning of the time you get is in less than 30 minutes, you have to wait 30 minutes to get a new Fastpass. However, there is an exception. If you use the Fastpass before those 30
minutes have passed, you can go ahead and get another one.

If the beginning of the time you get is between 30-90 minutes away, you can get a new Fastpass at the beginning of that time, whether or not you have used that Fastpass.

If the beginning of the time you get is more than 90 minutes away, you can get a new Fastpass in 90 minutes.

You can’t have 2 Fastpasses for the same ride at one time, but once you have used a Fastpass for a ride or if it has expired, you can get another Fastpass for that ride. The only exception to this is if the ride breaks down and the Fastpass becomes a multiple experience Fastpass, you can get another Fastpass for that ride.

It is best to know ahead of time which Fastpasses run out the quickest. In Disneyland, the order (from running out fastest to slowest) goes roughly: Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain when hot, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Roger Rabbit, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain when not hot. In California Adventure, the order goes roughly: Radiator Springs Racers (these go VERY quickly!), Guardians of the Galaxy, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, Incredicoaster, Goofy’s Sky School, Grizzly River Run.

I recommend some single rider lines and not others. I recommend Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain sometimes, Grizzly River Run, Radiator Springs Racers, and Incredicoaster sometimes.

To do rope drop (what you do first each day), I recommend getting to the park an hour or more before park opening. Star Wars will be open by then, so definitely do that first. If you want to do Peter Pan, you can also do that first but only if you can be one of the first on it. Guardians is generally the one we do first in California Adventure.

Make sure to get churros! Have fun!
Is it true that the first FastPasses for the day won't be until 30 minutes after the park opens? So, if the park opens at 8:00, the earliest you could possibly get a FastPass would be 8:30?

Some very helpful information for your trip planning:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- this is a sticky from the top of the first page -- LOTS of great info here!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- from the above sticky -- so many great threads found here!
World of Color Superthread -- study the first post carefully -- knowledge is power when it comes to viewing WOC! -- ask any questions in that thread.
Read through the MP thread linked in the post above -- very helpful! and ask any questions there.
For F! -- dining packages have the best views with the least wait -- they are ground seating , right up at the water -- so a totally immersive, up close view in this order: HB, BB, RBT. Look over the menus on the DLR website and see what appeals most. BB is our favorite, but all the reserved areas have good to great viewing.
Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! -- get all your Halloween Time information here! Ask all your questions here!

I will offer the same advise I offer to friends and associates for first time Disneyland visits. Make a point to take the TIME to enjoy being there!. Watch kids interacting with characters, watch adults interacting with characters. Take a few moments to take in all the detail that Disney puts into everything, from the design of buildings and attractions, to the woodwork and time spent in just painting everything, the characters are ALWAYS in character being pleasant and happy to meet you. All the extra time Disney puts into training and rehearsing with characters, dancers, and numerous CM positions is why DisneyLand is DisneyLand and not just another amusement park. Take time to enjoy being there :cool1:

Is it true that the first FastPasses for the day won't be until 30 minutes after the park opens? So, if the park opens at 8:00, the earliest you could possibly get a FastPass would be 8:30?
Kind of. If the park opens at 8:00 and there are no extra magic hours, the first Fastpass will be for 8:30. However, if the park opens at 8:00, but extra magic hours are 7:00-8:00, the first Fastpass will be for right at park opening, at 8:00.

Reactions: EmJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter