• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

disneyberry's Wedding TR: Wedding Pavilion/Citricos Oct.2008 [Intro for now]

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
EDIT from Aug 2011: Some day, some year, I will complete this report. I'm just too preoccupied with other things these past few years.

Hey everyone ^^

Well DH (weird to finally use that term!) and I are back from our wedding week in Disney. This report will take me a while to write up; I'm going to work on it a little bit at a time. I also never wrote a Planning Journal beforehand 'cause first of all I'm usually pretty shy about sharing personal details online, and truly I just didn't have the time to do it! I think I might begin this whole report with an after-the-fact PJ of sorts. ^^ You'll see that my planning was definitely heavily influenced by you lovely DISers! Unfortunately this means I won't get to the final wedding report for a while, but I think it'll all be a lot more logical this way.

Wedding Summary

Wedding Type: Wishes Collection

Number of Guests: 38

Day of the Week: Monday (For the $10k Minimum, which, alas, I think we exceeded by far!)

Ceremony: Wedding Pavilion, earliest time slot 10AM

Reception: Citricos at the Grand Floridian, Pre-Reception from 11AM - 12PM, Lunch from 12PM - 3PM

Welcome Dinner: Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge

Farewell Breakfast: Fresh at Walt Disney World Dolphin

Room Block Resorts: Coronado Springs Resort, Beach Club Resort, and Port Orleans French Quarter

Where we stayed: Boardwalk Villas

Officiant: Ron Rosenzweig

Photographer: Root Photography

Videographer: Starfruit Productions

Cosmetologist: Patricia LeJeune

Notable Things We Had: Cinderella's Carriage, String Trio, MK + Epcot Photo Shoot

I'll leave off at that for now. I'm going to try to pre-write a bunch of posts and submit them in succession to keep the bulk of the report in consecutive posts so people don't have to page through too much. :)

Edit: Oh, we got access to our DPS MK + Epcot photo shoot pics. Here's a sneak peak shot (if you are observant, you will discover something in the pic that's a spoiler to my trip report! ;) )
5142837e.jpg

"Sidebar" - The weird emoticons I use:
Some of you might be confused by the random symbols I type hehe. Just thought I'd give a short explanation here about them.

Western emoticons focus more on the mouth, and are usually sideways, such as the often seen smiley face :-)

Some emoticons I've become used to using are common in Asia, and usually are right side up and focusing on eyes. So ^_^ is a smiley face, which is often abbreviated into ^^ and >.> is a shifty-eyed kind of sarcastic face. ;_; is an unhappy face with tears coming out of the eyes, and abbreviated it's ; ; Those are the 3 I use the most.

Here's a couple of links about this, in case you're curious ^^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon#Eastern_style
http://club.pep.ne.jp/~hiroette/en/facemarks/

About Us:
DH and I were college sweethearts.
We're now in our 30s.
Add those two lines together and you'll figure out that we've been together for a long time and we only just got married now haha.

Like many DFTW couples, we rediscovered our love for Disney when we first went on a WDW vacation together as adults. We kind of went nuts for WDW after that (see sig lol) and ended up buying DVC together 5 years ago. (I'm gonna have a big hassle to go through to change our DVC deed to my married name now lol)

Our engagement story is one that DH would probably not want me to go into details about hehe. I say that I'm shy, but DH is super guarded about giving out personal details. Let's just say that we finally got engaged in summer of 2007, and the proposal was on the boardwalk in front of the Yacht Club wedding gazebo (not intentionally), and it was very sweet ^^ despite being slightly comical. :D

We didn't actually have any plans or a set timeframe for when we wanted our wedding after we got engaged. A Disney wedding wasn't even a serious consideration in the beginning, but rather something we joked around about, knowing our families would find the whole concept crazy. I don't actually remember how the conversation went, but basically about 4 months after our engagement, DH started saying that maybe we should just do a Disney wedding and forget about what our families will think. We'd always been keen on doing a destination wedding of some sort anyway because of the ease of having a resort that's fully equipped to handle weddings and has a wedding planning team helping you organize everything.

Impromptu Site Visit:

DH and I already had a WDW vacation booked for the end of October 2007. We decided to call DFTW and see about meeting with someone that week to begin the whole planning process. I think that DFTW may have pencilled us in for some random date (we had nooo idea what date we wanted yet) that I told them on the phone.

Here's where the interesting stuff begins (i.e. Pictures!). DH and I didn't want to waste all our time with the sales coordinator, so we decided to go to as many wedding reception sites as possible that we could enter and look at on our own without being accompanied by someone in DFTW. Our ceremony site was a no-brainer, we wanted WP and that was that. :D We'd narrowed down reception sites based on some helpful websites (like Mouseweddings) also. We knew we were having a morning wedding with a daytime reception, so we really tried to look at places with nice natural lighting - i.e. windows! So here's a series of pics from various reception sites that we either asked a CM to let us see, or >.> we snuck into late at night! LOL shhhh! (what... the ballrooms were empty at 10pm!)

Bistro de Paris
Main dining area
09055494.jpg

Possible dancefloor area (tables would be removed)
426b2b92.jpg

View back towards dining area while standing in dancefloor area
f2447f59.jpg

Gorgeous spiral staircase leading to/from restaurant (yes, that's me)
0cf2aece.jpg

Entrance to restaurant as seen from top of the staircase
3747dbe1.jpg

Grand Floridian Ballrooms
One of the entrance foyers (I think Southwest)
8290305e.jpg

One of the larger ballrooms, Salon 4, 5 or 6
563247d2.jpg

Closeup of double doors in white
7ff9d946.jpg

Same ballroom (Salon 4,5,6) closeup of painting
b1339b4f.jpg

Closeup of wall divider (eww, they tried to make it nicer, but it still looks ugly IMO)
fab83e2b.jpg

One of the small boardrooms with windows (was either Palm Beach or Key West)
5d580445.jpg

Another entrance foyer (I think the main big one in the center)
a7543fb7.jpg

Whitehall outside patio hallway
88bc8d2b.jpg

Whitehall patio
0c0f0da7.jpg

Whitehall patio
7baccf42.jpg

French doors of Whitehall patio hallway
4de0d2a9.jpg

French doors of Whitehall
fcca6da8.jpg

Indoor entrance doors to Whitehall
2cd7114b.jpg

Indoor hallway to Whitehall
a8c89f45.jpg

Inside Whitehall
5d870ace.jpg

Whitehall's Chandelier
50703775.jpg

Inside Whitehall
d2afbbda.jpg

Inside Whitehall
cacf9c3f.jpg

Boardwalk Ballrooms

St. James was divided in half when we went, so the next few pics are of each division (basically side B and side A)

Doors leading to patio, and wall divider
15e15775.jpg

Closeup of double doors to inside hallway (dark green, yuck!)
36fb3cce.jpg

Another door leading to patio, and other side of wall divider
a2211669.jpg

Last door leading to patio, and here you can see the natural wall of St. James (much better than the dividers)
cf11f9cc.jpg

Creeeepy hallway
909a713d.jpg

Foyer, still creeping us out (remember this is at almost midnight, not a single person around, and the whole thing is screaming Haunted Mansion at us lol)
fa14423d.jpg

Chandelier in Foyer
d8badccd.jpg

OMG scary portrait outside men's room
c1cc22f9.jpg

Argh, even scarier portrait outside women's room!
1eca7ad5.jpg

I think this is Marvin Gardens
9ddbb53c.jpg

Windows in Marvin Gardens
c41f22be.jpg

Marvin Gardens
e2536ead.jpg

Marvin Gardens
64ef6c7a.jpg

Okay! So that concluded our evening. Let me give an explanation of what our thoughts were after that day. We loved Bistro de Paris a lot, but were told that we cannot change the decor of the restaurant at all. This wasn't a big deal since it's very pretty as is, however that would impact our choice of color theme probably. The nail in the coffin though, was that Bistro de Paris is a privately managed place, and they don't have a special catering staff for weddings. We wouldn't be able to use Epcot catering (who is used to doing weddings), and would have to rely upon the regular staff at the restaurant doing a good job. Ugh.

For the ballrooms, obviously I was in love with Whitehall, but our guest count at the time we first started planning was around 70 people. Also, you cannot book a ballroom until 7 months out.

At the Boardwalk, St James and Marvin Gardens were big considerations due to the windows + patio, but we really really hated the dark green doors and lol, if you couldn't tell, the paintings and layout of the hallways drove us crazy and seemed really not wedding-y.

That leads us to our meeting the next morning with our DFTW Sales coordinator. The one site we couldn't have visited without her was Citricos. When we told her where we'd already visited and how much we cared about beautiful natural light, she knew immediately we were gonna love Citricos. She brought us into the restaurant, and it was gorgeous! Then she said, "Oh just wait, this back area has a rotunda like whitehall" and OMG that was it, we knew Citricos was our reception site.

Pics of Citricos (I only took 3! I don't know what was wrong with me, I wished all throughout our wedding planning process that I'd taken more, especially when it came to doing the seating chart!)

Front of restaurant, as seen from the back
9a9fb023.jpg

Rotunda, look at those windows!
17ccfdcb.jpg

More of the rotunda area
04aacba8.jpg

(Blank for now, just putting a placeholder here to keep the bulk of my posts in the beginning of the thread)

(Blank for now, just putting a placeholder here to keep the bulk of my posts in the beginning of the thread)

Gorgeous, breathtaking MK shot!!! Just AMAZING!!! I guess this is something they will have every year now?

I am so excited to see your pictures and to hear about how everything went! I would love to hear more about your Welcome Party at Jiko and your farewell breakfast at Fresh! How many people did you have at those 2 events and did you have a hard time getting a "large" reservation? This is something I am currently dealing with!

I am so excited - I haven't seen any Citrico's weddings and that location is on my short list of top 3 reception sites. Just lovely. I also love that we get to see a MK and Epcot shoot!!!

Congratulations!!!! and thank you in advance for sharing!

What a gorgeous, romantic, fairytale MK shot! Wow!

You are totally right about the foyer screaming Haunted Mansion and the creepy portraits did nothing to dispel that! I wonder if that was intentional (are the HM and Boardwalk "set" in the same time period?) or if it was because it was dark and empty? Lol!

I noticed in your signature that you are going to Tokyo Disneyland for your honeymoon-- how fun! I hope you'll include that in your TR!

Congratulations on your marriage and best wishes for your happily ever after. Can't wait to read more!

Great start I can't wait to see more pics!! That shot from the MK is absolutely stunning!!

Hi everyone, wow I'm surprised my thread actually got a few readers hehe. It's totally unfinished at the moment. *blush* I've been incredibly busy with preparations for my at-home reception (which was this past Saturday) so I totally neglected working on writing this. ^^;

I'm also still waiting on my photos from the Roots. I'm so anxious to see them! But alas, Nate and Jensey are super swamped with more new wedding shoots plus backlogged editing jobs.

Anyway, I promise I'll get back to this writeup as soon as I get over my "recovery mode" of getting back to normal everyday life after the craziness of wedding + 2nd reception haha.

Oh, and to answer the few questions so far:

That shot in front of the castle I posted is one of about 5% of photos that came out somewhat good. The other 95% of our pictures were terrible and looked very amateur! I'd rather not say who our photographer was because of the fact that DH and I are in the middle of complaining to DPS. (Surprise surprise! They really need to get their act together *sigh*)

Everyone who attended my wedding also attended the Jiko welcome dinner, so our guest count was 40 counting myself and DH. Only a handful stayed for the farewell breakfast. Jiko was booked through my DFTW planner, and Fresh I had to book separately on my own. We were the largest group allowed at Jiko's private room (they have a max of 40 people).

Also, I think someone asked me about how we liked Ron Rosenzweig. He has an excellent speaking voice, and was able to accommodate all the changes we wanted to make to his standard ceremony wordings. I highly recommend him for a non-denominational officiant.

More to come (I'll try to add something new before the end of this week!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter