Disneyland experts...please help!

pentex

DIS Veteran
We are going to Disneyland in early July and need expert advice. (This board has been fabulous for Disneyworld...now I'm hoping for help on the other side of the country!)

Could you please answer any of the following miscellaneous questions:

* Are there special events for July 4th?
* Does Disneyland Hotel have facilities for us to do laundry?
* Where do I call for restaurant reservations & how far in advance can I call?
* Any special advice on what we must do? We are so excited and don't want to miss any of the "must do's".

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Im not an expert yet, but Im getting there. ;) I can help with some of your questions.

According to Birnbaums, there is an "exceptioanlly festive fireworks display" on the 4th of July. Its also one of the busiest days of the year there and its "more patriotic than usual".

DLH does have laundry facilities. Paradise Pier doesnt.

The number to make PSs is 714 781-3463. While Ive heard varying answers to this one, I believe the correct one(the one Ive heard the most) is PSs can be made for restaurants in the park 6 weeks in advance, outside the parks is 60 days.

As for whats not to be missed, since Im a newbie to DL Id say just about everything. ;) Im sure others can narrow that down for you. :goodvibes

Must Do's
1. Eat at Blue Bayou. The ambiance is incredible.
2. Spend a bit of time just sitting and soaking things in. Something I never did until I had children. While my son was napping in the stroller, I would find a shady spot and sit. The detail is phenomenal.
3. E-ticket rides goes without saying.
4. If you can get it, there's a porch on Main Street on the left side as you face the castle. Watch the parade from there.
5. Fantasmic. Bring pillows and blankets for a long wait on the cement.
6. Read the windows on the second story of the buildings. Some are humorous and some are historic. BTW, sometimes you will catch funny bits of conversation coming from those windows if you listen closely.
7. In DCA, eat at Ariels Grotto, I had a bad experience with Goofy's Kitchen but my son was treated famously at the Grotto.

I'm sure that there are numerous things that I left off.

ARRIVE AT THE PARK EARLY...

The park WILL open before the stated time on the 4th. Probably at least an hour, possibly 1 1/2 hours. This will NOT be announced. Look as the scheduled time and arrive AT LEAST 1 1/2 hours before that.

ARRIVE VERY EARLY IF YOU WANT TO RIDE ANY RIDES. (starting to see the theme here? :goodvibes You will have about 1-2 hours to ride before the park becomes too crowded (if you have arrived well before the "official" opening time).

By the afternoon, expect it to be difficult to move in the park, literally body to body. It will be difficult to move between the lands.

The fireworks display is longer than usual on the 4th. If I remember, there was more patriotic music than normal shows.

Expect a TON of extra parades, street performers, showtimes, etc. to be added to the schedule. These will not necessarily be added to the written information, they just appear all over the lands.

I feel it is worthwhile to go on the 4th, just don't expect to get a lot of rides in. Enjoy the parades, street performers, music, and most of all the people watching.

Don't bother trying to leave the park just before or after the first fireworks display. Unless you are at the entrance of the park, you won't be able to get to the entrance to the park.

Get fastpasses early where possible, they will probably be gone, or REALLY late times by noon.

I recommend leaving the park in the early afternoon for a nap. It gets too crowded to move. The park will probably be open until at least 1 am, and since you arrived at the park around 5:30 am, it's difficult to be in the park the whole day without a break.

Use bathrooms when you see them, it will be difficult to get to them if you wait until you need them. Keep a water bottle with you and drink all the time if it's hot. Dehydration is the quickest path to a crash and burn for both parents and children.

Good luck.

For 4th of July --
Do not plan on watching the Fireworks AND Fantasmic that night. I have been there just to watch the fireworks, and the place is literally wall-to-wall people. There are so many people that Adventureland becomes a one-way path from Rivers of America to Main Street and Frontierland becomes a one-way path from Main Street to Rivers of America. The CMs use lit pointers to direct the crowd, and the crowd moves relatively slowly. The best place to watch the fireworks is from Main Street -- just about everyone knows that, and they will also go to Main Street.

Don't plan on going anywhere quickly. Make priority seating arrangements, even if you plan on eating at non-peak times - it's going to be crowded at the resort - especially since this is the 50th anniversary.

Expect to go on just a few rides, and enjoy more of the "street entertainment" and you will de-stress your day/night significantly.

Special Events? There's the Disney All-American College Band, performing only from early June until early August. And since DS might have a solo during some songs, well, I think that's REAL special! (PS-He plays the trumpet if anyone's going to be there)

I would suggest blue bayou for lunch it will save some money.

They have pennys presses that make great souvenier's so take
plenty of shiny pennies. (other coin presses are also available)

Don't miss soarin' over Califorina or Peter pan's flight.

My personal don't miss is The Electrical Parade

tink71973 said:
I would suggest blue bayou for lunch it will save some money.

They have pennys presses that make great souvenier's so take
plenty of shiny pennies. (other coin presses are also available)

Don't miss soarin' over Califorina or Peter pan's flight.

My personal don't miss is The Electrical Parade

Wow - I was gonna write this, but Tink saved me the trouble!! ;)

ALso, on the 4th, they will likely have a third showing of Fantasmic. Historically, on days like that, it's 9:00 p.m., 10:30, and 11:30.

Blue Bayou!
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Alice in Wonderland
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Small World
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Matterhorn
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Blue Bayou is a must, as noted above. If you can't call ahead for PS, you can walk over to New Orleans Square first thing and walk up to the restaurant's reservations desk and get them on the spot for later that day. It used to be the only way to get them, but now you can call as well. Lunch will be cheaper, but the lunch and dinner menus differ, so check them before deciding which.

If you want good seats for Fantasmic, figure out what time it runs and get one member of your party to snag a table at River Belle Terrrace. It's located between the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and the river. Have one member sit at a table while another member buys a snack or meal or two and be prepared to park your fannies and defend your chairs. Tables are for eating guests only, so lunch at Blue Bayou might be better for you!

You can easily see the fireworks from almost every area of the park (not sure about Bear Country) as they are launched from behind It's a Small World. The view from mainstreet is ideal with the castle, but not necessary to SEE the fireworks display.

July will be Hot! The good news is, it's not as humid as Florida and you should weather it just fine! Right after making your PS at the Blue Bayou (if you didn't do so by phone prior to your visit) go ride Indiana Jones, and Pirates of the Caribbean. After that, continue over to Spalsh Mountain and pick up a fastpass for later in the day when it's really hot then ride Haunted Mansion.

For a neat souvenir you can have your monogram or name etched onto various glassware/barware pieces in the crystal shop in New Orleans square. I think my folks still have a few highball glasses they got there in the 70s.

They have also opened up the apartment above Pirates of the Caribbean as a small museum with collections that change every so often. There is also a vintage poster shop there where you can have old Disneyland ride posters made to your specifications. Have a CM tell you about the apartment and ask if you can see the 'poster room' where Walt planned to install a rope walking bridge so his grandkids could sneak over to the Treehouse without leaving the 2nd floor. Neat stuff!

Have a GREAT trip! I loved working there in college!

:moped:

Dont miss:
Soaring over California
Blue Bayou
Pirates
The animaters studio where you can find out what disney character you are most like. (in california adventure)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter