• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DisneyLand GC or Candy Cane Inn?

sprtnfan

Mouseketeer
Hi All! We are planning our first trip to DL on 3/9 - 3/13 (my Bday). We are a family of 5. DH, myself and 3 DDs (4, 2, 1). We are experts at WDW, and recently moved to CA. So, no WDW this year :sad2: thought we'd give DL a try :Pinkbounc .

My dilemma: I have AP rates at GC for park view at $199 & $209 a night. I could also get the non park view for $169 & $199 a night. DH wants to save some cash and book the CCI for $100 a night. Any advice? With 2 children still taking naps, I like to be close to the hotel to take breaks. I understand that CCI is close to the main entrance. Does that mean you are walking thru a parking lot? They also have a shuttle, but we would probably just walk. What do all you DL pros recommend? Obviously, we will be returning a few times a year since we are getting the APs.

Financially, the Candy Cane is the best option, however do any of you think that we will be walking back and forth so much, it won't be worth it anymore? At WDW we tend to stay at the monorail resorts or Beach Club since they are the closest to the parks. We don't mind walking, but just want to make sure we are not wasting half the day by walking back and forth between hotel & parks.

Also, when we stay at WDW, one of us stays in the room with the napper & one of us goes to the pool with the other DD's. How are the pools at these places? Thank you all for you help. It's greatly appreciated! :flower:

We've stayed on-site and at the CCI - and I have to say - other than the Disney Theming at the DL hotels - we would probably pick the CCI! That's saying a lot coming from a Disney Nut like me. Now - if the prices were the same - definately the GC - it's gorgeous! The shuttle to CCI takes all of 2 minutes, they run every 30 minutes and are only shuttles to that hotel - you're not sharing. We actually never walked because the shuttle was always just sitting there and our kids' legs were already tuckered out!
You won't regret CCI. If you really want the Disney theming on site with kids - I would actually recommend the DH instead. GC is more grown up! The Neverland Pool at DH is amazing, and kids love it. DH is also usually a bit less expensive. Either way - you'll love any of those hotels!

I agree, with kids that young, DLH is the better choice if you really want the Disney experience.

I have not stayed at CCI, so can't comment on it. My general thinking is that you're really not gaining much by staying onsite as opposed to some of the hotels right outside the park. But every now and then, if I can get a great AP rate, I'll stay onsite.

Thank you for your opinions! It has helped. Both the DL and PP are booked that weekend, as is HoJo's. I've booked the GC this past weekend and then DH started thinking! :badpc: So, booked the CCI today and we plan on making our final decision after we've read everyone's thoughts. So, we appreciate your help. It's helping us! Keep it coming everyone. We are very interested to hear your thoughts and your experiences :teeth:

I would go for the GCH! That's a GREAT rate for a park view!!

I would defintely go with the GC, especially at that price. You just walk out the gates and you're back at your hotel. While I defintely prefer the DLH for little ones, I think you'll love the GC and the ease of getting back and forth. Make sure and take your 4 year old for storytime in the lobby if you do stay at GC, it's wonderful! The kids will still enjoy the pool and you'll love being able to run down to white water cafe for snacks.

Plus, think about sitting on your balcony at night when the kiddos are all tuckered out and people watching together with hubby and relaxing.

yeah, I'd defintely go for GC! LOL

HeHe! dsnylndmom that is how I sold my DH on staying at the luxury resorts at WDW! The balconies! I always envision the two of us sitting on our balcony while the kids sleep. Sipping cocktails and reliving the day! OK, you guys have helped a ton. Thank you all! :cheer2:

I'd have to agree that it's a very good rate for the Grand Californian and that hotel is soooo pretty - - sort of similar to the Wilderness Lodge at Disney World but definitely not the same. Pay the extra for the park view, that is something so magical that isn't even possible at Disney world.

And it's your BIRTHDAY!!! you deserve to be spoiled a little bit, focus on how you want to stay immersed in the Disney magic. If you like character meals, there is a breakfast right in this hotel. It will be an incredibly short walk from visiting California adventure back to your room.

The Disneyland Hotel does have an impressive pool area. At one time it was possible to resort pool hop but I am not certain if that is the case. Just think if one of you stays in the room with the napper, you'll get to look out over the park and people watch, how fun would that be?

I've not stayed at either property but the pool area at CCI looks rather small, very nicely landscaped, but small.

I realize everyone struggles with "dream vacation" versus "budget reality" but if it's something you can do without too much impact, it would be such a magical experience!

It's official, we are staying at the GC park view! I am so excited to experince something new and different from WDW. We've never stayed at WL, but we have stayed at AKL and somehow I think watching the people at CA from our room will kinda be like watching the animals at AKL from our balcony! :) Just kidding!

Now I just hope that I won't be too disappointed to stay anywhere but GC when we go back! This happened when I stayed at BC concierge. I could just never bring myself to go back to the moderate hotels after experiencing the deluxe resorts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter