Disneyland...maybe?

themudd4

DIS Veteran
We are going to be going to WDW in June. We just found out that 10 days after we get home we may be flying out to Claifornia for our daughters b-ball tournement. Hopfully we will find out all the details 100% in the next week or so. If all works out we will be in Sacramento CA. We are hoping to sneek off for a day and were hoping to go to Disneyland. None of us have ever been and may never make it back to CA and don't want to miss the oppurtunity. Can anyone tell me how long a drive it would be from Sacramento...and if we do get to go for the 1 day, what are the MUST DO'S?

Dh used to live in San Francisco. He said it is probably a 5 hr drive down to DL from Sacramento. Try www.mapquest.com for a more accurate estimate.

The one must do on my list is The Matterhorn (Tomorrowland side).

I agree about the Matterhorn.

Try other rides that aren't at WDW, such as:

Indiana Jones - same technology as Dinosaur at AK (this came first), but much better!

Haunted Mansion - different and unique for someone who has only seen WDW version

Space Mountain - Got a 2-years in the making complete overhaul for the 50th, completely different than WDW and a great coaster.

If you're into classic rides, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is still open in DL (closed about 10 years ago in WDW), there's also a Pinocchio ride and Alice in Wonderland ride that are not in WDW.

You could easily do all these in 1 day (be sure to utilize fast pass for Indiana Jones and SM). I'd say if you don't envision yourself going to CA in the near future, make the drive and check it out, if only to say you've been there.

Have Fun!!

We drive this route from southern Oregon and it is about a 6 hour drive from Sacramento to Anaheim. Sometimes much longer if there is heavy traffic or accidents on the freeway. (I have been stuck on the Grapevine for many hours while waiting for an accident to be cleared.) If you have to go down and back in one day, you will have to leave very early and it will make for a very long day....

I dont think going from Sacto and trying to get back to Sacto that night will be fun. That will be along hard day. Can you stay overnight? If you may never get back to calif, think baout seeing the Napa valley area and the coast, the actual town of napa is a snoozer, but if you hit those back roads YOU WONT BE SORRY! beautiful! And the coast west of there is a fun family place,. Not tanning bosies on the beach at all. An easy drive from Sacto, too! John Muir woods, is near there too!

We've driven over to DL from Las Vegas twice, but we always went the night before. Stay at a hotel on Harbor Blvd. and be at the park by opening. We leave at night after the parade, fireworks, and one last ride on the Matterhorn (Tomorrowland side, of course). We usually get back to Vegas about 1 or 2 AM.

Could that be an option -- drive down the night before and then drive back to Sacramento after doing the park for the day?

I live 20 minutes from Sacramento. It is a good 7 hour drive to DL for us. The five hour estimate is not realistic, and you'd have to be FLYING (in your car, of course) with no stops to make it in 6. Having lived in the south bay for many years, I know that driving from Sacramento takes longer than from SF. We could make it in 6 hours from the bay area.

To go to DL from Sac would be a sensible three day trip: one day driving, one full day in the park, and one day to drive home. You could cut it to two days if you visit the park the afternoon of your arrival and the morning of your departure.

Have a great time!

With traffic, you're likely to have more like 8-10 hours to drive to DL from Sacramento. We're from the Bay Area, and we can do the drive in 6-7 hours if we leave around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and thus avoid LA rush hour.

I live in Sac and it takes 6-7 hours depending on how fast you drive and traffic. I go about 70-75 MPH. But i have to small kids so we stop at least twice for potty breaks and food. I would not recommend back and there in one day. Maybe drive down the night before and go to DL for the day and drive back that night. That is the best "quick" way of going

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter