Disney's ART OF ANIMATION RESORT Information & Questions

Some questions about the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA.

I made a reservation there a while ago for October, on a whim as we have an annual pass and weren't sure when/where to go for our final trip before the AP expires. We never stayed there. We only visited my sister in-law's family who stayed in the Nemo suites (while we were in Pop Century). Now we are getting lucky with SWGE opening .. so probably keep that reservation so I want to be armed with more info about the Mermaid rooms.

1) The rooms are themed to Little Mermaid inside, correct? (trip for my daughter's 3rd birthday - which is why I made it).
2) Are the rooms like the pre-renovated value rooms? When we stayed at Pop in 2015, the rooms had two double beds, but when we stayed at renovated All-Star Movies - we had two queen beds (one folded up). I assume the Little Mermaid rooms are two doubles and the same size room as the other values?
3) Best building? I would guess 7 due to it being closer to the Hall and the bridge (with the Skyliner) and also due to the being on the lake side?
4) Best "view"? Do you prefer a lake side room or pool side room
5) I often see that the Little Mermaid rooms are excluded for discounts .. IF they come out with AP or other discounts for rooms in October (which I have my doubts) .. will I be out of luck with the Mermaid rooms?

Not happy about the price for a "value" room comparable to the ones at All-Star and Pop Century, but if the rooms are hotel is as heavily themed as the pictures show, it will be worth it for my little kids (2 yo (turning 3 on the trip) and 7 yo).

I didn't want a suite room, since it is just four of us (and they are more expensive).

1) The rooms are themed to Little Mermaid inside, correct? (trip for my daughter's 3rd birthday - which is why I made it).
2) Are the rooms like the pre-renovated value rooms? When we stayed at Pop in 2015, the rooms had two double beds, but when we stayed at renovated All-Star Movies - we had two queen beds (one folded up). I assume the Little Mermaid rooms are two doubles and the same size room as the other values?
3) Best building? I would guess 7 due to it being closer to the Hall and the bridge (with the Skyliner) and also due to the being on the lake side?
4) Best "view"? Do you prefer a lake side room or pool side room
5) I often see that the Little Mermaid rooms are excluded for discounts .. IF they come out with AP or other discounts for rooms in October (which I have my doubts) .. will I be out of luck with the Mermaid rooms?

1) Yes - Little Mermaid, underwater theme - carpet looks like sea floor, shower looks like Ariel's cave, Clamshell headboards for beds, etc. - Very colorful!
2) Correct - they have 2 double beds and are very slightly larger than the other value resort rooms
3) & 4) We prefer building 7, lake view - closest to everything, quiet, and nicest view (building 9 is also closer but only has pool or parking lot view - avoid building 8)
5) They are excluded from some offers like Free Dining, but we have a discounted AP Sun and Fun discount for May and August, and regular Sun and Fun discount for September, so you never know!

1) Yes - Little Mermaid, underwater theme - carpet looks like sea floor, shower looks like Ariel's cave, Clamshell headboards for beds, etc. - Very colorful!
2) Correct - they have 2 double beds and are very slightly larger than the other value resort rooms
3) & 4) We prefer building 7, lake view - closest to everything, quiet, and nicest view (building 9 is also closer but only has pool or parking lot view - avoid building 8)
5) They are excluded from some offers like Free Dining, but we have a discounted AP Sun and Fun discount for May and August, and regular Sun and Fun discount for September, so you never know!
Thanks. All very helpful. Here is hoping they offer some discounts for October (though I doubt it .. I think the "Extra Extra magic hours" is in lieu of fall discounts).
I made several reservations for the fall months ago to plan ahead and hope to get lucky with SWGE opening ... (we did, obviously).

I did get a reservation with the Sun & Fun discount in September, but that was for Caribbean beach -- but I think I am leaning towards AoA in October (my daughter's birthday and longer reservation (5 nights versus 4). It just sounds like a more fun resort for the kids.

We recently moved our reservation for next April over to a Wheelchair Accessible Little Mermaid Room. Had some questions.
1. Can I bring a small Keurig and plug/use it in the room?
2.Best place to put a twin size bed? My daughter had a twin size medical bed that would need to be set up. From the photos, I thought next to the TV under the mirror/light fixture where the table is and relocate the table to in front of the window. Anybody done this?
3. Do the little Mermaid rooms have the wall dispensers of soap in the shower?
4. Are you allowed to put an alarm on the hotel room door (designed for hotel rooms) that will alert if my child with special needs attempts to open/leave? We have a security system at home.

Could anyone share the June recreation guide? All of my usual sources are still showing the May schedule. TIA!

Is anyone there now? If so, would you mind terribly posting the June recreation guide? Thanks so much!

Staying at Art of Animation for the first time in August - does the resort have towels available to use in the pool area, or do we need to bring ours down? Thanks!! :)

I looked at the rec schedule for AofA on orlandoparknews but don't see the drawing class listed. Does anyone know if it is still being offered? Also, do you have a be a guest of AofA? Thank you!

Last edited:
I looked at the rec schedule for AofA on orlandoparknews but don't see the drawing class listed. Does anyone know if it is still being offered? Also, do yo have a be a guest of AofA? Thank you!

Yes, we stayed at AoA over this last weekend and the classes are held 3 times a day but not sure if a non-registered AoA guest can attend.

We recently moved our reservation for next April over to a Wheelchair Accessible Little Mermaid Room. Had some questions.
1. Do the little Mermaid rooms have the wall dispensers of soap in the shower?
Unable to answer your other questions, but in response to the above, no, they do not have the wall dispensers of soap. They have the small complimentary bottles of shampoo and conditioner and bars of soap.

Hello! We are now booked for two different AoA stays, and are waiting for more Rise of the Resistance information to see if we go for New Year's or for March Break. Has anyone stayed in both the Little Mermaid rooms and a family suite?
I booked for March in the Lion King suite for our party of six BEFORE the 2020 packages came out, so it's a room-only reservation right now. When the packages came out Tuesday, I got a shock: for the first time in my four years of considering AoA (we ended up at the Cabins at FW in 2016), the family suites are now more than $100 more than a Cabin at the Fort, both of which are for up to six people, AND the suites now cost more than TWO Little Mermaid rooms! So for January, I booked two LM rooms, as my 5yo DD desperately wants to stay there. It never made sense before, though, when the two rooms we would need cost more than a single suite/cabin, but now it saves us $50+/night compared to a family suite, even though we could sleep 8 people instead of 6 in the two rooms.
All this goes away, though, if a Free Dining offer comes out, and LM rooms are excluded.
Anything we should know as AoA newbies? My teen will definitely want to know what the late-night food options are, as that was our one critique of life at the Fort, where all the food places close in the evening.

Hello! We are now booked for two different AoA stays, and are waiting for more Rise of the Resistance information to see if we go for New Year's or for March Break. Has anyone stayed in both the Little Mermaid rooms and a family suite?
I booked for March in the Lion King suite for our party of six BEFORE the 2020 packages came out, so it's a room-only reservation right now. When the packages came out Tuesday, I got a shock: for the first time in my four years of considering AoA (we ended up at the Cabins at FW in 2016), the family suites are now more than $100 more than a Cabin at the Fort, both of which are for up to six people, AND the suites now cost more than TWO Little Mermaid rooms! So for January, I booked two LM rooms, as my 5yo DD desperately wants to stay there. It never made sense before, though, when the two rooms we would need cost more than a single suite/cabin, but now it saves us $50+/night compared to a family suite, even though we could sleep 8 people instead of 6 in the two rooms.
All this goes away, though, if a Free Dining offer comes out, and LM rooms are excluded.
Anything we should know as AoA newbies? My teen will definitely want to know what the late-night food options are, as that was our one critique of life at the Fort, where all the food places close in the evening.

Maybe it depends on the time of year, but the 4 times we've stayed in a suite at AoA, it has always been about $50 a night more expensive than 2 Little Mermaid rooms. And the suites were usually about $50-75 more per night that the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. When I priced a potential trip for us for next June (shhhhh, don't tell my husband I'm planning a trip for next year), a cabin was $80/night more than a suite (I always price out several options just to compare). So that hasn't really changed much for the time of year we go (usually late June).

We're a family of 7, but the last 6 or 7 years our oldest son either doesn't travel with us, or he and his wife get their own room. We used to go with 2 rooms at Pop Century before AoA opened. But once the suites became available, we always went with a suite because we liked being guaranteed we were in one room and we liked all of the extra floor/open space. The cabins really weren't worth the "savings" to us because a full (not full anymore) kitchen meant nothing to us (I don't cook on vacation) and 2 bathrooms are a necessity for us when traveling with 4 teens/young adults. We also don't like the layout of the cabins -- I prefer to have a private bedroom my husband and I rather than putting the kids in a bedroom and having us sleep on a pull-out couch in the open living space.

We love AoA and will probably stay there until we're traveling to Disney with no kids...or at least until we fit in a standard room. I can't remember which of the food stations stays open latest (maybe the pizza one??) but I know we've grabbed food fairly late at night (definitely after 10:00) at least a few times. There are numerous sandwich and salad options along with snacks and desserts in the grab and go area as well.

What packages are you talking about?

What packages are you talking about?
The 2020 room + tickets packages, to which you can add a dining plan if you choose. Before June 18, you had to calm Disney and book room-only.
Can anyone speak to the beds in he LM rooms? Someone has a thread complaining that they're overly firm. We sleep on pillowtops at home.

Can anyone speak to the beds in he LM rooms? Someone has a thread complaining that they're overly firm. We sleep on pillowtops at home.

We find the beds to be quite comfortable - I always sleep so well at Disney, maybe because it’s exhausting trekking around the parks! We also sleep on a pillow top with memory foam topper at home.

I've never stayed in a LM room but I haven't heard a lot of people complaining about those beds being too firm. However, I have heard people complain about the queen size beds in the suites being too firm (and I agree!!). Just an FYI, if you find the beds to be too firm, call mousekeeping and ask for a mattress topper -- they'll bring a foam egg crate style topper and put it on your bed for you. We did that the last time we stayed in a suite. I didn't know they would do that until someone mentioned that they did it at ASMusic. I usually just made my own mattress topper out of blankets. While the foam topper is not as comfy as a true pillow top mattress, it did make the mattress much more comfortable for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!